Iceburg not a "spell" for saves?

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Iceburg not a "spell" for saves?

Post by SkipiusEsq » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but the Arelith spell Iceburg (9th Level) only checks against Reflex save without the benefit of spellcraft or Protection from Spells. Tested in multiple ways and every time I only received the benefit of my raw Reflex save plus gear unisaves but no bonus for spellcraft or for Protection from Spells.

Might-N-Magic

Re: Iceburg not a "spell" for saves?

Post by Might-N-Magic » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Is it a conjuration spell? Because if it's a conjuration spell, then it's working as intended.
The magic of conjuration spells merely brings something that already exists to the location (or in this case, flings it violently at you). The iceberg itself is just an iceberg that existed already elsewhere. The magic popped it from there onto your head.
If it's an evocation spell, then you should get those bonuses since evocation takes magic energy and turns it into a (magical) iceberg to hit you with.

SkipiusEsq

Post by SkipiusEsq » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:03 pm

First, should have titled Iceberg (oops on spelling) but adding it here in case others search using the correct spelling in the future.

As for the spell, it is listed as evocation and I get the full benefit to the DC for having ESP: Evoc (don't have Conj). If it is not intended to have spellcraft count then the spell is overpowered IMHO. If you have a 40 INT (which is common) and ESP: Evoc, then the DC is 43 at the center (since the spell gives a +3 DC for center of the spell). If you don't get the benefit of spellcraft or Protection from Spells, then only DEX builds with a good amount of unisave gear stand a chance of beating the save (without rolling a 20).

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:32 pm

SkipiusEsq wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:03 pm
First, should have titled Iceberg (oops on spelling) but adding it here in case others search using the correct spelling in the future.

As for the spell, it is listed as evocation and I get the full benefit to the DC for having ESP: Evoc (don't have Conj). If it is not intended to have spellcraft count then the spell is overpowered IMHO. If you have a 40 INT (which is common) and ESP: Evoc, then the DC is 43 at the center (since the spell gives a +3 DC for center of the spell). If you don't get the benefit of spellcraft or Protection from Spells, then only DEX builds with a good amount of unisave gear stand a chance of beating the save (without rolling a 20).
I dunno man, it uses the same functionality for checking saves as any other spell. Difference is its delayed a bit, in a wrapper func, much like some of the Bigby Spells which, for some reason, nullifies spellcraft skill so that may be the culprit.

SkipiusEsq

Post by SkipiusEsq » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the reply Action. I guess the questions become: (1) is this technically a "bug" and (2) if so, is it fixable?

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:36 pm

SkipiusEsq wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:50 pm
Thanks for the reply Action. I guess the questions become: (1) is this technically a "bug" and (2) if so, is it fixable?
Well it was not my intention to have spellcraft absent from the save and didn't know about it until now. If it's fixable? yeah probably I need to do some testing or change the way the spell behaves.

As for the bug wit ha delayed func I'd have to confirm that as well and only Beamdog could fix that.