Astrolabe Door Badly Broken

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Astrolabe Door Badly Broken

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 am

When going to the plane of Celestia, Earth, and also Forest, I and many others have noted that it will instead take you to the Server Selection Area. Usually in the UD Server as well. When trying to go back to C&P, it will simply take you to the Cordor ship.

Logging out and back into C&P will sometimes fix it and take you to the intended Plane, but rarely. So far, the Door is simply broken, and does not take you to the Planes, and instead to the Server area.

I have also noted that attempting to log out and back into C&P will (sometimes) in fact load the correct Plane, but then you are immediately kicked out and taken to the Selection area.

https://imgur.com/a/Dvqco5h This is the area it takes you to instead, and I always see a UD Playerlist there.
Last edited by Glowing Mushroom on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burin the Earthly.

Glowing Mushroom

Re: Astrolabe Door Badly Broken

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:35 am

This is by no means an opinion coming from somewhere of experience, but it would seem to me as if placing the Astrolobe Area in the same Server with the rest of the actual Planes might help. But again, I have no idea the innerworkings of Arelith, but at a glance that's what it looks like to me.
Burin the Earthly.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:57 am

the main Astrolabe area has to be on the same server as the points of entry/exit (where you drink the potions/where you land after going through the tunnel. so putting the tunnels on the same server as the Astrolabe would make the most sense, though i imagine it's not because they're "the planes".

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:23 am
When going to the plane of Celestia, Earth, and also Forest, I and many others have noted that it will instead take you to the Server Selection Area. Usually in the UD Server as well. When trying to go back to C&P, it will simply take you to the Cordor ship.

Logging out and back into C&P will sometimes fix it and take you to the intended Plane, but rarely. So far, the Door is simply broken, and does not take you to the Planes, and instead to the Server area.

I have also noted that attempting to log out and back into C&P will in fact load the correct Plane, but then you are immediately kicked out and taken to the Selection area.

https://imgur.com/a/Dvqco5h This is the area it takes you to instead, and I always see a UD Playerlist there.
The same is true of shadow doors, especially one to the Shadow Tower.
I do hope this gets fixed.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Varonmeer

Post by Varonmeer » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:51 am

I and several others I know have experienced this too.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:40 pm

ADDENDUM!

Shadow Door is fixed! IDK about Astrolabe though.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Varonmeer

Post by Varonmeer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:17 am

Not yet

A1RMAN

Astrolabe seems to be broken

Post by A1RMAN » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:21 pm

Instead of sending me to the Plane of Earth it sent me to CnP loading screen and then to a 4 portal room. Tried it twice.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Astrolabe seems to be broken

Post by Irongron » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:18 pm

Hopefully this will work after the next reset. Please keep me informed!

Drogo Gyslain

Re: Astrolabe seems to be broken

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:34 pm

I have looked at this as well as several planes and the Astrolabe appears to be functioning correctly and as intended.
I lied, after investigating the Astrolabe, the return portals are not returning travelers to the Astrolabe, and are still redirecting people to surface, not back through the gateway.

Za-Lord~s Guard

Attunement Potion - Astrolabe Locations

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:50 am

Description of Bug Experienced:
This is possibly not a bug, but I've seen no information to indicate that it should now work this way.

When drinking attunement potions in the locations traditionally used to reach the Astrolabe, the potions now fail to execute any action; the potion is consumed, but the character is not transferred anywhere and nothing happens.

Drinking the potion outside of these specific locations still sends the drinker to the typical "default" attunement potion location of FOIG.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Drink an attunement potion on surface server in one of the locations traditionally used to go to the Astrolabe.

Expected Result:
The player character appears in the Astrolabe after a moment's delay. (And failing that, should transition the drinker to the "default" attunement potion location).

Actual Result:
Nothing happens, the potion is wasted to no effect.

Additional Information/Notes
I have tested each of the six locations I am familiar with to try this, with no change in results.
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

Za-Lord~s Guard

Re: Attunement Potion - Astrolabe Locations

Post by Za-Lord~s Guard » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:07 am

Update: There is 1 location, on the Cities & Planes server, which works. The other locations I tried were on surface, and didn't work any longer.

Additionally, the portals to return to the Astrolabe FROM the planes (Plane of Fire in my testing) still direct you to the surface server, and cause you to appear in the 4 portal room.
"I don't believe in fairies!" - Harry Dresden, the Dresden Files

chris a gogo

Earth plane exit portal not working.

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:35 pm

The entrance from the astrolabe works perfectly as does returning to it but the exit portal at the far end doesn't trigger.

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Astrolab connection issues

Post by Mythic » Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm

Currently doing a bit of planehopping. And some of the entries back to the astrolab still try to kick you to a different server, often resulting in you being put into the Gigaschatten server portal room.

I'll update it as I find more, but the ones below are ones I have found thus far.

Fire Plane - Try to re-enter Astrolab from it's entry point, Got kicked to surface and then to portal room.
Howling around all year long

NMan7496

Re: Astrolab connection issues

Post by NMan7496 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm

This happened to me as well a few weeks ago when I was coming back from Celestia. I got ported to the four portals room on surface and then when I used the one for CnP it ported me to the boat in Cordor (the one going to the Crow's Nest).
Characters:
- Eleanor Allias, Paladin of Selûne

Former:
- Mather Allias, Elrith Ferein, Simone Beregnor-Springscar, Thalia Loreas

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Tue May 19, 2020 5:20 am

I am unsure if it is meant to go anywhere since this was the first time I ever used it, but the end of the tunnel (not the door to the astrolabe) in the elemental plane of earth doesn't lead anywhere. There's a transition, but clicking on it doesn't make anything happen.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Tue May 19, 2020 9:21 am

Unfortunately I recently discovered that areas were not updating properly (build process hadn't recognised the change) when I moved areas between servers. I've managed to go back and catch a lot of these, but quite a few others (notably astrolabe) will require me to find a couple of hours to work on them.

I'm still struggling to find enough time for development, as still in lockdown caring for 4 small children, so I'm either busy with all that it entails, or absolutely exhausted. I will get to this soon though, sorry for the continued delay. Its frustrating to need to repeat this work, and frankly the astrolabe is a really confusing mess of connections (my own fault for losing the handy chart Watchtower sent to me after its creation).

Best Rich Face

No Return from Celestia!

Post by Best Rich Face » Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 pm

Taking the return portal to the astrolabe sends you not to the astrolabe, but to the OOC portal field. Sad day, rip my attunement.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: No Return from Celestia!

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu May 28, 2020 9:17 pm

Patch is lined up for the various Astrolabe Passages to all go where they're supposed to. Not live yet, but once it is and we've tested, I'll update this thread with the others reporting it.

Done.

Best Rich Face

Post by Best Rich Face » Fri May 29, 2020 5:46 pm

Oh cool. Good to know. Do you want me to add other areas I've found broken in here, or just hang tight?

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:35 pm

This was targeted in the last round of patches, but there's still one lingering issue preventing these server portals from working as intended (silly oversight on my part!). Should be one more round, then we'll confirm whether all passages are working or not before marking this completed. Thanks for standing by, all.

Done.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Planar Exit: No exit from Limbo

Post by triaddraykin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 pm

There used to be a transition here that went to Rosewind. Since about 2016, the transition was broken, and now it's just plain gone. The only way out is the Lonely Tree, or back to the Astrolabe.

Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:34 pm

How is it now?

NMan7496

Post by NMan7496 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:44 pm

I got dumped into the four portals room last week when I tried to return to the astrolabe, so I'm gonna say no.
Characters:
- Eleanor Allias, Paladin of Selûne

Former:
- Mather Allias, Elrith Ferein, Simone Beregnor-Springscar, Thalia Loreas

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:12 pm

Astrolabe is definitely persistently funky. Something about how their various transitions are implemented just is not playing nice at all post-server split, even after a few different tweaks and changes to address it.

I'm considering having both ends of the various rift Passages send players back to the Astrolabe until I hammer down why the old transitions are being so cantankerous. It'd be stripping out some minor functionality for now, but I'd rather those areas be reliably playable and accessible.

I'd also like to revisit and overhaul all those tiny little areas since they're way overdue for some. Personally, if I'm going to be spending too much time on areas like these I'd rather be updating them in the first place. Someone else might be more merciful!

Done.