Sunburst vs Vampires

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Sunburst vs Vampires

Post by Skald Haldi » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

According to the Sunburst spell description, if a vampire fails reflex save against Sunburst, it is destroyed.

Yesterday I cast Sunburst on a group of five vampires. One of them had a spell mantle and absorbed the spell. The other four each attempted two saving throws. One of them failed first, passed second. One of them passed first, failed second. Two of them failed both. None of them were destroyed.

Reading NWN Wiki, sunburst vs vampires is magic damage - but can be avoided by damage immunity or damage reduction. Looked at the combat log for damage done, but there is no mention of such.

Reading the Arelith Wiki, I don't see any mention of changes to the Sunburst spell. Was this rule changed? Am I incorrectly reading the combat log?

Screenshot:

Played: Peruruo Longbean, Spring Cobb, Purple (disguised), Ke Rilyn'ervs, Tern Cooper
Playing: Az'alva Sh'yalva

naturaly

Re: Sunburst vs Vampires

Post by naturaly » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:20 am

I believe this been bug for ages here... I add note on wiki.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:35 pm

The issue here seems to be that the vanilla Sunburst code decides whether an NPC target is a vampire based on its model. If the target is using the default 'Vampire Male' or 'Vampire Female' appearance, it's a vampire. Otherwise, it's not. The new spawns for the Guldorand crypt do not use the default appearance.

We'll look into a workaround at some point.

Note that this bug doesn't affect Sunburst being used on PC vampires. The check for the Arelith-specific subrace is separate, and PC vampires should be properly destroyed on a failed save.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Does this work the same way for Rakshasa and blessed bolts?
Or are they immune to them while in a non-rakshasa shape?

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 am

There is a workaround. The sunburst spell I believe also looks for the vampire -portraits-. You could put them on the mobs.

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:16 pm

This’ll be the last time that someone use them for their PC!

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:14 pm

It could be changed to search for name, or integers on spawns (probably the most effective, not too difficult if there was a list somewhere of vampire npcs)