Epic Caster and Focus Bonus are not working correctly for PM builds

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Zanithar

Epic Caster and Focus Bonus are not working correctly for PM builds

Post by Zanithar » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
I noticed that my Bard (4) / RDD (10) / PM (16) build had a very weak dracolich. This build has a 20 charisma and GSF: Necromancy netting the bonus feats: ESF: Necromancy, Epic Spell: Mummy Dust and Epic Spell: Dragon Knight.

The Dracolich summons on this character:
Stats: 37/12/23/20/20/20
AC: 40
HP: 524
Attack Bonus: +39/+34/+29/+24
Damage Bonus: +10 Slash / +3 Bludgeon
Saves: 23/18/22
BAB: 23

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
I created several characters on PGCC (I do not have an Epic Wiz or Epic PM on the normal servers):
1. Bard (4) / RDD (10) / PM (16) - With 20 Charisma and GSF: Necromancy, receiving ESF: Necromancy, Epic Spells: Mummy Dust, Dragon Knight as bonus feats.
2. Bard (3) / Wiz (11) / PM(16) [Starting as a Wizard -> PM, final 3 levels Bard) - Clearing 20 Int and GSF: Necromancy, receiving the bonus feats/spells
3. Wiz (30) - Taking ESF: Necromancy, and Epic Spell: Dragon Knight as Epic Feats

I then cast Dragon Knight on each of the characters and reviewed the resulting Dracolich.

Expected Result:
I would expect the Charisma PM and the Intelligence PM to receive full bonuses for both ESF: Necromancy and 6 Epic PM Levels for all undead summons including the Dracolich and Mummy Dust (Note I did not test Mummy Dust).

Actual Result:
Both PM builds (Melee Charisma and Int Caster) did not seem to receive the correct Focus and Epic Level bonuses. The Charisma PM on PGCC received no bonuses (This differed from the normal server where it appeared to receive Spell Focus bonuses) , the Intelligence PM appeared to receive Spell Focus bonuses but not Epic Caster Bonuses (Similar to the Charisma PM on the normal server). The Wizard received both the Spell Focus and Epic Caster Level Bonuses.

Screenshot(s)
N/A

Additional Information/Notes
N/A

Peppermint

Re: Epic Caster and Focus Bonus are not working correctly for PM builds

Post by Peppermint » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:34 pm

I'd verify the problem in the combat log if you haven't. The character sheet tends to be less than accurate.

That said, the charisma build here shouldn't receive epic caster level bonuses. Its epic caster level (for animation) is zero.

i.e. Bard (4) + Pale Master (16) - Epic Threshold (20) = 0

Zanithar

Post by Zanithar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

Well that is an entirely different way of looking at it than I believed to be correct and very different than what is outlined on the wiki, if this is correct, the wiki may need some updating here. This would imply that these bonuses have nothing to do with Epic levels and is not linked to the epic 11+ prestige class levels or the epic 20+ base class levels, as the NWN epic levels definition and what the wiki outlines and is instead linked to Caster Level ... a pretty big difference.

Is this part of the code that you wrote and/or updated Peppermint? Are you reasonably certain it behaves counter to the wiki representation and is inline with your representation?

Either way, I suppose I should do more testing as the Int based caster PM does not appear to be honoring neither your Caster Level model nor the wiki outlined epic level model. I do admit, I only check combat logs for the Charisma PM however, so it is entirely possible the character sheet is incorrect.

Hmm ... much to think about, but I suspect the wiki needs a serious overhaul here.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:02 pm

I wrote that code. I'm quite certain, yes.

Epic Progression only starts at level 11 for class abilities (i.e. Blackguard summons). For spells, it always starts at level 21.

Zanithar

Post by Zanithar » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:17 pm

Fair enough, then I'll do some testing on the a Wizard/PM build and report back with my findings and then look at updating the wiki so it is accurate.

Thanks for the response and the info!

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:36 am

sorry made a duplicate of this bug: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27171

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:50 am

and looking at the combat logs its even worse:
first hit atempt knockdown: 30 AB
next hits 29,24,19,34
than knockdown again: 30
and last hit is 29 looks like the pattern starts again here.

let me know if you need more testing.

this was tested with wizard 10/PM 20

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:23 pm

this bug may only be present on the PGCC server, not sure about live servers cant test it there yet.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:25 pm

The wiki is often outdated, Incorrect or lacking.

That said, Dragons been nerfed a while back.

Hope that helps.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:01 pm

The combination of classes mentioned do not exceed the needed levels for epic caster level bonus - that's why your dracolich sucks.

(Edit: Basically what peppermint said.)

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:47 am

its a wizard level 10/ pale master level 20 = UCL 30 how dose that make my dracolich suck? its supposed to be much stronger.

in addition looking at the combat logs it has much less than what is even stated, its attack bonus is nothing above 30, the mummies are stronger much stronger there is clearly something wrong here with the dragolich, the mummies have the correct attack bonus looking at the combat logs, the dread mummie has 37 plus 2 other mummies 1 tire less.

this is ofcourse on the PGCC server, not the live one as i said i cant test the live server yet

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:08 pm

Your dracolich has osteoporosis.

D3V11_

Post by D3V11_ » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:19 pm

lol yea, i want to cure the osteoporosis through necromancy, im trying my best.

another thing that dosint make sense, is a shadow wizard 10/ shadow dancer 5/ pale master 15 's dragolich has like 48 (correction 47, and in combat logs its 45) attack bonus, so the discrepancy is very odd.

no matter what combination i tried with a non shadow wizard pale master the dragolich always seems to be lack lustre, overshadowed by far from the mummies it summons.

i mean are you really sure this is not a bug????