Lost Shop

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Its_a_jelly

Lost Shop

Post by Its_a_jelly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:29 am

My character has been running Trader Vic's on Skal for the past several months.

Today, I logged in to find that it had been taken over by a character named "Serah Smith" even though I just logged in a couple of days ago.

It's clearly an OOC bug, and I'm wondering how I get my shop (and the items) back.

Its_a_jelly

Re: Lost Shop

Post by Its_a_jelly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:04 am

Description of Bug Experienced:
My character, Victor Brown, owns a shop in Skal, and I update it almost every day. Today, I went to add some new items and it was owned by another player. I was IG just a couple of days ago and I checked on my shop, so there was some sort of glitch in the timer that allowed the other player to take over (again).

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Unknown. I've owned the shop for several months and this has only happened once before due to a calendar glitch.

Expected Result:
The shop should only allow someone to take it over after being dormant for 7 RL days.

Actual Result:
The shop allowed another player to take over a couple of days after being refreshed by the owner.

Screenshot(s)
N/A

Additional Information/Notes
I have not been able to catch the player who took it over IG, but I'm hoping he'll/she'll be cool and understanding about the glitch and give the shop back. *fingers crossed*

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:58 pm

I lost my shop also the Coveted shield by the cordor fountain in the outskirts also. I checked and stocked it yesterday, today it's not mine and half the stock is gone.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:08 pm

FYI for anyone who doesn't know, the ownership period for Skal shops seems to be three days rather than seven.. Unsure if this is intended or not.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:28 pm

Was able to buy it back, I am guessing the missing items are forever no more or will there be reset to fix the store issues?

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:56 pm

This seems to be becoming a pattern of time skips and shop glitch's? Any chance the devs can confirm that this is something they are playing around with or doing? Or is it actually a recurring glitch?

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:28 pm

I caught up to the player who took the shop, and he is not willing to give it back (even though he should).

I log in practically every day, so it was a definite OOC bug - the shop wasn't abandoned.

Laggy

Post by Laggy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:34 pm

I had refreshed a shop less than 8 hours ago then logged back in after waking up and it was no longer tagged as mine (also on Skal) so there is definitely some shenanigans going on here. Half the stock was also missing, presumably looted.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:45 pm

Laggy which shop was that?

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:01 pm

It might of been looted. But from my understanding if it releases your shop and someone buys something the money for the sale goes poof (you won't see it) and if someone buys the shop they get the coin for you stock selling. So some of the missing stuff might of been purchased but you will never see the coin. So pretty much lost stock.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:10 pm

I'd suggest directly sending in a message to the DM and Admin team, and reference this bug thread.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Laggy

Post by Laggy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:10 pm

@Morgy - Scimitar, Shield and Ingots. It was outside near the hub. Shop was unclaimed when I checked it.

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:29 pm

When I asked for my shop back, the player declined, but he said he'd give it back if a DM told him to. I thought there was a "Be nice" rule on this server, but I guess it only applies if a DM is around to enforce it.

Like the others, I lost a TON of stock. Vic's carries higher end equipment (most of it gone, now), so I'm out a lot of coin unless the DM also makes the player refund some of it by looking at what has sold over the past 2 days.

Which DM should I contact?

If there are a lot of shops affected, is it possible to do some sort of rollback?

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Laggy - That is a 'temporary' cart shop. Ownership for those only lasts one real life hour, despite saying 10 hours in game (this has been reported multiple times.

Laggy

Post by Laggy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:46 pm

Oh yikes. Okay, so that's a bug, but just a different bug (I saw the 10 hours and was checking every so often while I was online, and didn't expect going to sleep would expire it.)

Scylon

Post by Scylon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:06 am

I'll waddle into this one.

Its_a_jelly - Dubb lost his store the same way (I'm not Dubb BTW). He logged in almost everyday and out of no where someone just walked up, brought it and took his stuff. They didn't even take down his sign though it is gone now.

Laggy - I would be careful with those temp shops. They are unreliable. I have had it happen twice now where I would walk up, put an item in, refresh everything. Come back in 15 minutes and some one has been able to just take it. Keep in mind also they are one hour stores. I never reported it cause it didn't seem worth the hassle for the junk I was peddling in it, But no way in hell I would put something valuable in there.

Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:14 am

As I understand it the lease on Skaljards shops is intentionally short to encourage ownership changes. A couple of days is enough time for the lease to expire.
Thrar of the Winterwood

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:59 am

Most of the trade post shops are owned for months, so rotations aren't so frequent if that was intention.

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Hobojoe wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:14 am
As I understand it the lease on Skaljards shops is intentionally short to encourage ownership changes. A couple of days is enough time for the lease to expire.
Not true.

This comes up every time I check my shop,

"Trader Vic's: [Talk] This is your shop.

You can change your offer by adding or removing items to/from the shop inventory. A maximum of 20 items can be placed permanently in it. If another player buys an item from your shop, the payment is credited to your bank account. Items are sold at 75% of the value. Remember to check the inventory at least once every 7 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes (realtime) or other players may take over your shop.

The current montly maintenance cost for the shop is 25 gold."

It clearly states, "Remember to check the inventory at least once every 7 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes (realtime) or other players may take over your shop."

Also, I can't even count the number of times a shop really was abandoned and people were chomping at the bit to get at it and had to wait a RL week. Meanwhile, the shop sat nearly empty.

My shop was full and was attended to nearly every day.

satan

Post by satan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm

Vic ever get his shop back? It's sad when a shop that sells good items gets replaced by a kobold salve and animal pelt vendor.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:09 am

Unfortunately a lot of people own a shop, just to own a shop. There’s a few shops in Skaljard people ought to give up for someone who will put wanted stuff in them.

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm

satan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:01 pm
Vic ever get his shop back? It's sad when a shop that sells good items gets replaced by a kobold salve and animal pelt vendor.
No, not yet. I was in contact with a DM, but I think he's just going to blow me off (been 4 days). That's fine. I TRIED to solve the problem the right way and keep an OOC glitch OOC. Now I'll take it IC.

My character never left Skal because of the shop, and 90% of my RP was based around it - crafting, gathering resources, trading, selling, etc. It was a point of pride for Vic, and I can't count the number of times people would tell him it was, by far, the best shop in Skal. It was always full and had useful, quality gear - for a fair price. Anyone who visited the shop knew this. Now it's a shop full of garbage anyone can pick up...pathetic.

I'll get another shop, to be sure. I'm persistent like that. But I'm going to continue to fight for my shop purely on principle. The other player doesn't have to follow the "be nice" rule, so I won't be hamstringed by it either. I tried...

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm
satan wrote:
No, not yet. I was in contact with a DM, but I think he's just going to blow me off (been 4 days). That's fine. I TRIED to solve the problem the right way and keep an OOC glitch OOC. Now I'll take it IC.

My character never left Skal because of the shop, and 90% of my RP was based around it - crafting, gathering resources, trading, selling, etc. It was a point of pride for Vic, and I can't count the number of times people would tell him it was, by far, the best shop in Skal. It was always full and had useful, quality gear - for a fair price. Anyone who visited the shop knew this. Now it's a shop full of garbage anyone can pick up...pathetic.

I'll get another shop, to be sure. I'm persistent like that. But I'm going to continue to fight for my shop purely on principle. The other player doesn't have to follow the "be nice" rule, so I won't be hamstringed by it either. I tried...
This is one benefit of IC settlement leadership. This kind of dispute could be solved by a settlement leader who had laid out specific shop policies and all in character. As it stands though, I don't think you will get much help, though as a shop owner, I sympathize.

satan

Post by satan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Archnon wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:28 pm
Its_a_jelly wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm
satan wrote:

This is one benefit of IC settlement leadership. This kind of dispute could be solved by a settlement leader who had laid out specific shop policies and all in character. As it stands though, I don't think you will get much help, though as a shop owner, I sympathize.
Yet another reason to open Skal up and make it a functional settlement, rather than a newbie zone.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Hobojoe

Post by Hobojoe » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:46 pm

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:10 pm
Hobojoe wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:14 am
Not true.

This comes up every time I check my shop,

"Trader Vic's: [Talk] This is your shop.

You can change your offer by adding or removing items to/from the shop inventory. A maximum of 20 items can be placed permanently in it. If another player buys an item from your shop, the payment is credited to your bank account. Items are sold at 75% of the value. Remember to check the inventory at least once every 7 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes (realtime) or other players may take over your shop.

The current montly maintenance cost for the shop is 25 gold."

It clearly states, "Remember to check the inventory at least once every 7 days, 0 hours and 0 minutes (realtime) or other players may take over your shop."

Also, I can't even count the number of times a shop really was abandoned and people were chomping at the bit to get at it and had to wait a RL week. Meanwhile, the shop sat nearly empty.

My shop was full and was attended to nearly every day.
It was the response I got at the time when my shop suddenly changed hands after a few days of not logging in. Eitherway best of luck to you man, try to make the best of it.
Thrar of the Winterwood