Vampire Bugs:

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Cookies

Vampire Bugs:

Post by Cookies » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:32 pm

So I've noticed a few things with the Vampire race.
I've put it off mostly - but decided to write a bug report for it now in hopes that maybe at some stage these things can be looked at.

Blood levels:
To get full vampire benefits your blood level needs to be at 100%. This is near impossible, because as soon as the server ticks. It drops below 100% and you're no longer getting full benefits.

Maybe a better way to do this would be in phases? 3, 4 phases? IE : 0-30%, 30-70%, 70-100%? That way you would still need to keep on top of your blood levels. But not need to excessively grind, or excessively drain someone of their con, or carry around hundreds of bottles of preserved blood.

Also wiki says vamp gets 7 regen. Vamp actually end up getting only 6regen. The moment it ticks from 100%, it drops down to 4. It's pretty broken. Majority of the time you're sitting at about 75% blood which only gives you +2 regen. At 95% you get +4. 100% 6. And you NEVER get +7. Please take a look at this.

Forms:
I've also noticed that only one of the two shape shifting forms work? For me I'm stuck being able to only shift into a bat. And not a wolf? Not sure what's causing this. I used to be able to shift into either or.

Darkness:
Doesn't help with sun damage. As it should. It doesn't work for vamps.

Immunity's':
Should be immune to all negative energy. And it should have the opposite effect. The same way heal/mass heal kills vamps. Negative energy should heal us. This is not the case.
For example the spell Avascular Mass being one of those "Negative energy" spells that actually hurts vamps.
Same with Horrid wilting or w.e it's called - it shouldn't damage undead creatures.

I'm sure other vampires have noticed some of the same - and maybe more bugs. So let's share them here and hopefully get it sorted.

Cheers. 8-)

Tarkus the dog

Re: Vampire Bugs:

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 pm

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Horrid_wilting

This spell still damages vampire PCs. It shouldn't. ( since it doesn't affect undead or constructs )

Also something I'd like to point out - Whilst I am happy with the totem form nerf ( it was needed ), it's kind of a pointless feature now. It's something you use for roleplay and roleplay alone. That's fine by me but it would be cool if it worked something like Yuan-Ti's snake form?
Serpentine Polymorph - Via the -polymorph command, a yuan-ti may shift into their viper form, their human form, and their hybrid form. Male yuan-ti will turn use the lizardfolk model, female yuan-ti will use the yuan-ti model. More information can be found using the '-polymorph ?' command.
This is a pretty cool feature. Would be nice of vampires got the same, but in wolf/bat form.

Also, what's up with thralls? Seems like kind of a silly thing to pursue from the mechanical standpoint. Don't get me wrong, Roleplay shouldn't be based about in game features but c'mon. One -vampire offer gives them +1 CON for 2hours 24minutes ( AFIAK ), and if they offer blood to the vampire instead their CON is drained and they get a bunch of damage vulnerabilities on top.

I do appreciate all the work that was put into the vampire race, that goes without saying, but it would be extra nice if someone was to look into these little things.

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Vampire PCs should be vulnerable to Bless Weapon Imbued Weapons. - They are not.

Vampire PCs should be vulnerable to control undead. - They are not.

Vampire PCs should be vulnerable to Sunburst and completely destroyed if they fail the save - and you can guess, they are not. https://dndtools.net/spells/players-han ... rst--2653/

Vampire Regeneration is supposed to be disabled for an entire turn if the Vampire takes Holy or Radiant Damage - https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Vampire#content - it is not.

Ultimately, I would argue that Vampire PCs don't have enough weaknesses in Arelith to match the relative balance of the world, and a smart player can easily build to nullify the ones they do have.

Cookies

Post by Cookies » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 pm

All solid arguments.

However, I would argue that for the sake of the server most people that are choosing between a 5% roll, race or whatever the case may be, go to the Wiki to find information on that race.

Vamps should also have a coffin, and shouldn't be able to die to a normal weapon. But? Here we are. There are many arguments to be had to be honest. However - the main arguments I'm pointing out are ones that do not coincide with the Arelith wiki on the race itself.

Which is what is used when deciding what you want to play after sacrificing multiple high-level characters to be allowed to play something that stands out a bit. :)

http://wiki.arelith.com/Vampire

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:13 am

Should make them take damage from bless weapon/lesser moonblade etc, yeah.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:40 am

Bump.

Everything Cookies said is still the case.

-Oddly, the Wolf form works fine on PGCC, but is absolutely borked on any of the live servers.

-Darkness still doesn't alleviate the quick sun fry.

-Bloodlevel bonuses could still likely use a relook.

***Despite what Apokirphos stated, many/most things do work against PC Vampires, and with the recent update from ActionReplay, even more do. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=26230

In fact, I would say the ways to cook them are almost too many. I'm also not sure if all the "harmless" aspects of all the various healing spells have been relooked for Vamps? I.e., heal should require a ranged touch attack. Also, it would be nice if, as above, some of the ways Vamps could heal through negative energy worked. For example, the self-targeting inflict wound to harm would be comparable to the healing available to normal characters.

Right now you sorta have to build around healing kits...which is weird.

*Edit: Turning also uses old fear behavior, which can lead to endless running. It would be nice if this could be made to use the new aura effects, because I don't think normal characters are subject to this kind of fear anymore?
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:19 pm

Bump.

Could we at least get shape change ability fixed?

This just plain doesn't work. It does work on PGCC.

Seems like an easy fix.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.