Bigby Line of Spells Ignoring Spellcraft

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Apokriphos

Bigby Line of Spells Ignoring Spellcraft

Post by Apokriphos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:21 pm

Other then Bigbies Clenched Fist - using the NWN default, all Bigby Spells do not use a targets' Spellcraft modifier in the reflex save to oppose the attack.

As with the Iceberg Spell Bug, I believe this is also a bug. The Bigby line of spells are Evocation spells, with each hand used as a spell-based attack against the target.

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Bigby%27s_clenched_fist

Arigard

Re: Bigby Line of Spells Ignoring Spellcraft

Post by Arigard » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:33 pm

To add to this, Iceberg also ignores protection from spells too. Not sure if it's the same with bigby.
Gorehound

Laggy

Post by Laggy » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 pm

As per the nwn wiki on Bigby's Clenched Fist:

While the bonus to saves from spellcraft usually does not apply to spells with a duration, it does apply to (only) the first save rolled against this spell (as that occurs as the spell is cast, rather than after a delay).

I dunno if you would classify this a a bug, but if it is, it's been there since vanilla, so changing it would be Arelith specific. Bear in mind the Reflex save was added to nerf the spells to begin with, as those also don't exist in vanilla.

Iceberg is custom of course, so that's a different story.

Apokriphos

Post by Apokriphos » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:26 pm

Laggy wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:55 pm
As per the nwn wiki on Bigby's Clenched Fist:

While the bonus to saves from spellcraft usually does not apply to spells with a duration, it does apply to (only) the first save rolled against this spell (as that occurs as the spell is cast, rather than after a delay).

I dunno if you would classify this a a bug, but if it is, it's been there since vanilla, so changing it would be Arelith specific. Bear in mind the Reflex save was added to nerf the spells to begin with, as those also don't exist in vanilla.

Iceberg is custom of course, so that's a different story.
I chose that link to illustrate how NWN handles Bigby Spell saves, showing they use spellcraft. The other Bigby Spells (grasping, forceful) should also have their reflex save check reflect the targets Spellcraft modifier.

The fact that they dont currently is the bug.