Duergar Bard gets "Delete Character" on entry

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Gouge Away

Duergar Bard gets "Delete Character" on entry

Post by Gouge Away » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 pm

Weird bug.. I was trying to test a Duergar warlock on the PGCC and kept getting "delete character" every time I logged in.

Changed user name, character name, build... Always immediately deleted. Any other character was getting in fine, but Duergar bard is rejected.

I tried it on Cities and Planes and got the same thing. A newly created Duergar Bard gets "delete character" on login.

I'm sure this issue doesn't come up much (-4 charisma classes don't become bards often, I'm sure, though I think warlock would do fine) so maybe it's never been noticed before. Anyway, there you go.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Duergar Bard gets "Delete Character" on entry

Post by Irongron » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 am

It really sounds like you are still using a non-unique user-name. Keep trying?

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:38 am

No, I tried a bunch of names and variations of feats and ability scores. But I found out what it was from someone who'd seen it before on Discord. You get one extra ability point (30 instead of 29) so the game is booting you thinking it's an illegal character. I assume that's some math issue from the racial bonuses.

What worked was to apply the ability points (using them all up, getting to 0) and finish the character (feats etc.) Then before hitting "play" to join the game, go back and remove one ability point and hit "cancel", then it finally lets you in without "delete character."

a1b2

Post by a1b2 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 am

bump. Can this get sticky'ed as it is a known issue that hasn't been fixed and can stop people from making svirniblin as well as durgar. If nothing else, make sure this is put in the wiki under the races so if people want to make these characters they are able to.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:21 am

Can confirm this issue. I tried creating a gold dwarf bard, it worked
Change the name a little and went on to create a duergar with same stats, skills everything. got a delete on entry

Tried a sorcerer as well, got deleted

I believe its something related to the -4 CHA
Also, can't get the CHA above 14 even with spare points.
PayadorPerseguido

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:43 am

This is a known issue and unlikely to get fixed in the short term.

This happens on any race with -4 ability in an auto spend to 11 class. It’s such a narrow case that it’s not needed to clutter up with a sticky.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:53 am

https://discordapp.com/channels/6518790 ... 9308467270
Symphony wrote: It's because the auto increment up to 11 for bard only takes away 7 points. They start with 4 Charisma, but, it should take 8 points to get to 11, just like it takes 8 points to go from 8 to 15. The last point is two points.
Bioware's ability score buy page in character creation autospend up to 11 isn't smart enough to know about the point buy diminishing returns.
When you open the page with 11 CHA, you've already overspent, if you put points into the rest of your scores, you will have used 31 points, and that's cheating, and Arelith will kick you.
You also can't move past the ability score window until you place all 31 points. What you can do is finish making the character, then before pressing play, open your ability scores, and lower an ability score by 1 point. Then cancel. This should leave you with one unspent point, which, once you join the server, will be seen as using 30 points, and you won't get kicked.

Who is the audience for this post?

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:26 am

Mattamue wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:53 am
https://discordapp.com/channels/6518790 ... 9308467270
Symphony wrote: It's because the auto increment up to 11 for bard only takes away 7 points. They start with 4 Charisma, but, it should take 8 points to get to 11, just like it takes 8 points to go from 8 to 15. The last point is two points.
Bioware's ability score buy page in character creation autospend up to 11 isn't smart enough to know about the point buy diminishing returns.
When you open the page with 11 CHA, you've already overspent, if you put points into the rest of your scores, you will have used 31 points, and that's cheating, and Arelith will kick you.
You also can't move past the ability score window until you place all 31 points. What you can do is finish making the character, then before pressing play, open your ability scores, and lower an ability score by 1 point. Then cancel. This should leave you with one unspent point, which, once you join the server, will be seen as using 30 points, and you won't get kicked.

Worked
Thanks!
PayadorPerseguido

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:32 am

Great, we can maybe get that added to the wiki in the meantime.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice