Jester Robes bug

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Jester Robes bug

Post by R0GUE » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:32 pm

Issue: Unequipping the robes causes you to lose a 4th level spell each time you do it. So each time you take the robe off after you progressively lose another 4th level spell until you are down to 0.

Expected: Unequipping the robes should cause you to lose the BONUS 4th level spell it grants, but should then grant the bonus spell back upon re-equipping.

Reproduction steps:
1. Equip Jesters Robes as a bard.
2. Rest.
3, Take the robes off, Put them back on.
4. Repeat step 3 several more times until 4th level spells reach 0 uses.

Thanks.

R0GUE

Re: Jester Robes bug

Post by R0GUE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:14 am

I found a second bug. This one is a little more important:

Issue: Jester robes grant the user a level 7 spell slot. This is presumably to give them access to level 6 spells with a metamagic component, as bards have no level 7 spells available. When wearing Jester robes, they have these metamagic spells available in the radial menu, but you cannot actually cast them.

Expected: You should be able to cast 6th level spells, enhanced by a metamagic feat such as "Extend Spell" which raises the spell slot by +1.

Reproduction steps:
1. Equip Jester Robes as a bard with the Extend Spell feat
2. Rest
3. On radial menu, select Cast Spell, Metamagic, Extend Spell, Levels 7,8,9, Pick a Spell
4. In Text bar it reads "No uses or preperations for that spell" and the character does not cast

Thanks.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:30 pm

For bug one that's normal (albeit arguably buggy) behaviour for bonus spell slots for spontaneous casters.

Wiki sayeth https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_slot
"When spell slots are gained — which can occur by equipping an item, increasing a casting ability, or gaining a level — they are initially unassigned, even if those slots had been previously assigned then lost. (Hence, spells like owl's wisdom cannot be used effectively to gain additional spell slots since spell effects are removed upon resting.) When spell slots are lost — which can occur by unequipping an item, lowering a casting ability, or losing enough experience points to drop a level (quite rare) — they are lost right-to-left, as viewed in the spellbook. For classes that do not prepare spells (bards and sorcerers), consumed spells are always assumed to be "to the left", so repeated increases and decreases in spell slots will eventually cause such a caster to run out of spell slots."

So yeah, that sucks and makes the item considerably less useful. Effectively if you want to retain the bonus spells, because switching out of it loses said bonus spells, you're stuck with an armor without AC.

If the logic of the spell slots could be changed to work "right-to-left" as with prepared casting, then it'd be just more functional clothing for bards. I have no clue if that's possible though.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Also, tried checking bug two on PGCC, but the module wasn't updated so couldn't.

Does your bard have 17 or more base charisma? This should be required as it's a spell level 7 bonus slot. (Yes, that's totally arcane and bard players should by no means be expected to know it to use an item meant for them.)

Can you see the spell slot in your spellbook, access the extend metamagic selection, and select extended mass haste? Can you then cast it by assigning it to a quickslot?

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:08 am

Ugh it's probably the charisma issue. I have a base 16, which I'm boosting up to high 20s with items and spells. I have one last Ability point to use at level 28 so I might put it into Charisma when before I was planning on using it on Dex. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: Turns out all my Ability Scores are even right now, so putting that last point in Charisma should be do-able. I will let you know once I level up if that fixes it.

Also, about the spellbook, Level 7 spells do not show up in the spellbook even when wearing the robes. As I mentioned above, the spells DO show up in the radial menu though, they are even lit up and have a 1 listed next to each of them as though they should be able to be cast. But then picking them just results in that error message.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:53 am

The spellbook shows the truth, in my experience. Once you get your next ability point and put it into Cha, we should know. If it still doesn't work for some reason, you can always get a delevel. Of course, a staff member could troubleshoot this and spare you the trouble.

R0GUE

Post by R0GUE » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:42 am

I finally got to level 28, added my point into Charisma to get to 17, and the Metamagicked 6th level spell dopes in fact work now. Thanks for helping me troubleshoot Opostus.