Scribe Scroll Feat Not Working on Shaman

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Scribe Scroll Feat Not Working on Shaman

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:08 am

Description of Bug Experienced:
I am playing a Shaman, with no other classes currently. I took the Scribe Scroll feat (I figured the Shaman had a number of spells that would sell well as scrolls in a shop). When attempting to scribe spells, this works inconsistently, and I am unable to scribe spells that I should reasonably expect to work. These are not rare/high-level spells that require special ingredients, etc. I specifically have tried to scribe Cure Light Wounds, and Blood Frenzy, and they do not work. But, Stoneskin does scribe successfully. It is not an issue of available gold or experience; I have made sure to satisfy these requirements. And the fact that some scrolls do scribe, means I'm not "doing it wrong."

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
I right-click on a blank scroll, and using the radial menu, choose a spell to cast on it. Or, I use the hotkey bar to select a spell, and click the blank scroll I want to cast the spell on. The problem occurs/doesn't occur, regardless of the "method" I use to cast the spell on the scroll.

Expected Result:
The spell should scribe on the scroll, and remove the gold/xp from my character.

Actual Result:
I get an error message in the console that simply says: * Failure - Item Creation Not Successful *

Screenshot(s)
Image link: https://discordapp.com/channels/2235617 ... 3016192072

Additional Information/Notes
I have not tried to determine the full extent of the problem - since some spells do work, I could burn through quite a bit of gold and XP on spells I don't need, simply to gauge the scope of the issue.

As well...if Scribe Scroll cannot be fixed, I would like to kindly ask for a re-level, as I would not have chosen the feat had I known about this issue. I saw no mention of this issue on the forums/the wiki, when I researched this feat before taking it. My character's name is Grenfeld Treespeaker.

Thank you in advance for looking into this!
Of course, optional horse death RP is a possibility.

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Scribe Scroll Feat Not Working on Shaman

Post by BHR55 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:42 am

Scrolls on Shaman and Favored Soul are kind of borked because NwN uses an item template for every single scroll that requires all 200+ scroll items be updated to include their respective classes that can use them.

This is part of something I hope to address soon. Garr might have more input on this.

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 am

Show me how to do it, and I'll have it done in a few days. I've got a couple of days off.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:36 pm

Thank you both for looking into this! It sounds like this is a somewhat known/solvable issue, so I'm happy to wait as long as needed for a fix - I just wasn't sure if this was some kind of intractable issue. I'll check back here every so often for an update. Thanks again!

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:32 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to follow-up here on a fix. I'm still having the issue - I tried to scribe cure light wounds and blood frenzy scrolls, with no luck; so presumably, that means the bug is still there. Any updates would be much appreciated; thank you! :)

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:18 am

Pretty much it's just what BHR55 said. It's a long gradual process and it's not going to get fixed overnight. We will get it done, but don't expect it to be in the next week.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:19 am

Thank you very much for the update, good to know. I'll check back again in a while. In the meantime, your efforts are greatly appreciated!

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Hello again!

I just wanted to follow-up on this; it would appear that the feat has not been fixed. I just wanted to see if any progress was being made here, or if there was an ETA on when this might be resolved. The DM team has informed me that I will not be allowed to re-level my character because of a broken feat, so hopefully this can be fixed, or some other workaround/solution can be achieved instead.

I really appreciate the work you guys do, thank you in advance for your time and patience!

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:04 am

Likewise, on Favored Soul, only some work, but most do not.

I wish I had found this thread before taking the feat >.<

Here's hoping a fix can be found soon, or at least a notice somewhere that tells people it's borked right now.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Slapstick

Post by Slapstick » Sun May 30, 2021 2:57 am

Any chance this issue is ever resolved? I'd really like to take scribe scroll on my FS for crafting purposes, but given that this issue is closing in on a year old I suspect it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sun May 30, 2021 3:04 am

There are several scrolls for Druid and Shaman - Things like AoV, Firestorm, Earthquake - That are simply greyed out when you try try Scribe them as well. The feat explicitly describes any known spell can be scribed, and the Wiki even includes these. Something is janky there, too.
Burin the Earthly.

Hrothgar Bloodaxe

Post by Hrothgar Bloodaxe » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:59 am

Don't take this feat. As the original person who started this thread, I can safely say taking this feat will bring you nothing but pain. I was told many times, by many different DMs/devs, that a fix would be happening "soon" (you can even see some of those responses, on this thread). That was roughly 18 months ago. I was fortunate, in that the general re-level was given, and simply allowed to change my feats out to something different.

So, I would just learn to live without taking this feat; do not attempt it, and if someone says it will be fixed "soon," do not listen to that advice - even if your are given incorrect guidance, they *will not* allow you to re-level later on to fix it; you'll simply need to de-level your character and start over.

Either wait until the fix is confirmed, or, I would suggest, just take craft wand, which I *think* might function properly (although I am not positive, and would be very careful attempting this).

Best of luck.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:28 am

Craft wand and brew potion work as they should for Shaman. Can confirm.