Fey Speed

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

BaRKyy

Fey Speed

Post by BaRKyy » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 am

Intended effect: Fey's max movement speed should be the same as the rest of the server.

Actual effect: They run faster.
Jacetuhn Nerelith
Locksryn Vista
Banjo Morgan
Che Firenze
Sly Laenarys
James Hightower

three wolf moon

Re: Fey Speed

Post by three wolf moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm

I have asked about this in the past, and what I was told was that it's a thing that is hardcoded into NWN pixies.

tbh it would be cool if they were down-sized elves with the butterfly wings instead, I think there's even a "flying" animation for player models. It might solve this issue too.

EDIT: would also fix the fact that pixies are much taller than the NWN model represents. Pixies can be anywhere from 1 to up to nearly 3 feet tall!
Last edited by three wolf moon on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:51 pm

This has been the case ever since the existence of fey and it should've been fixed over a decade ago already.

Also, they should be made tiny (they currently are not, even though the wiki may say they are). That, or the wiki entry should be changed: http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/w/index.php? ... edirect=no.
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

skellyboi
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by skellyboi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 pm

To be entirely fair, if we go by source material, pixies (which are the closest to how Arelith presents the playable fey) do have a significantly higher speed than most other creatures, whilst in flight. While capping them at the same speed as other playable races maximum (for haste, and etc) is fine, I do think it's nice to have that racial difference at least for base speed represented in Arelith overall, as it accurately represents their depiction in 3.5E source.

For reference, from the 3.5E Monster Manual (normal base land speed is 30ft for humans, elves, etc):

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:44 pm

Source material is entirely irrelevant if it means the issue at hand causes a certain race (or class, etc.) to be extremely overpowered, potentially. What it means when one race has a higher ceiling of maximum speed relative to all other races, is that a character of that race can theoretically (and, really, it is not that hard) endlessly kite in combat, which is especially a problem when that character is using ranged weapons, but is also problematic in general as someone is always able to flee by virtue of always being able to outrun someone. .
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

skellyboi
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by skellyboi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 pm

But if haste speed is capped to the same as everyone else, it's not an issue, is it? ;)

Not to mention, fey aren't the only race with a base speed increase (see: vampire.)

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:51 pm

skellyboi wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:49 pm
But if haste speed is capped to the same as everyone else, it's not an issue, is it? ;)
But this is not the case.

skellyboi
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by skellyboi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:52 pm

skellyboi wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 pm
While capping them at the same speed as other playable races maximum (for haste, and etc) is fine,
Sounds like you might not have read this. ^

Nagwag

Post by Nagwag » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 pm

three wolf moon wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm
tbh it would be cool if they were down-sized elves with the butterfly wings instead, I think there's even a "flying" animation for player models.
THAT would be great! For imp too, btw, maybe just not with microelves and butterfly wings for them ;) Let's be honest, the fey/imp models are not really nice to look at, and being able to see the stuff they wear would be nice, too.
[Berry / Jo / (Myxi) / Iolite / others]

three wolf moon

Post by three wolf moon » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 pm

Nagwag wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 pm
three wolf moon wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:40 pm
tbh it would be cool if they were down-sized elves with the butterfly wings instead, I think there's even a "flying" animation for player models.
THAT would be great! For imp too, btw, maybe just not with microelves and butterfly wings for them ;) Let's be honest, the fey/imp models are not really nice to look at, and being able to see the stuff they wear would be nice, too.
However imps are, actually, just as ugly as (if not moreso than) their model in NWN represents. They are also genderless, so there isn't really a need to change it. Unlike pixies, imps are never portrayed as "little people", so it's necessary to preserve their monstrous appearance.

Seems mostly accurate to me.

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:18 pm

The monstrous human head would actually go quite well with that imp design, though, if the body was shrunk down.

Nagwag

Post by Nagwag » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:32 am

still they shouldn't look like clone warriors *shrug* I wonder if imp have the same problem with speed as fey, though. My idea behind bringing imp in was that horrbile clone warriors look, when you see them on a place (happened a lot ud), and a "would it be changed somewhen, it would be good to do it all at once". But I am not sure if the imps have the same speed problem, tbh.
[Berry / Jo / (Myxi) / Iolite / others]

Exordius

Post by Exordius » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:50 am

There is an easy way to fix speed disparity... add perma-haste boots to the server. Can always make them cost billions and or require going all the way to the bottom of Hell to get if you think it would be OP. :)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Vampire speed does not exceed haste.

I'm not going to say fey should or shouldn't be the only race on the server that are faster than anyone else, including monks.

But they are the only race on the server that are faster than anyone else, including monks.

They are also very tiny.

PvPing them is not very enjoyable.