Swashbuckler interferes with spellswords imbue

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Swashbuckler interferes with spellswords imbue

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
I tried to replace the negative energy imbue on my short sword with frost, but instead of replacing it, the frost got added to it and I only have 1 level of spellsword.

It looks like the damage boost from swashbucklers insightful strike interferes somehow, since when that bonus wasn't there, the effect got properly replaced, but when it was there, the imbue was added instead.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Cast negative energy ray on weapon
Reequip weapons so the insightful strike bonus gets added again, if it isn't there
Cast another spell (I used ray of frost) on the weapon

Expected Result:
The 2nd spell replaces the current imbued element

Actual Result:
The 2nd element got added so that it had both negative and frost elements imbued

Screenshot(s)
Image)

Additional Information/Notes

Itikar

Re: Swashbuckler interferes with spellswords imbue

Post by Itikar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:39 am

Related problem, again for swashbuckler/spellsword combo: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28874

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 am

This is a known issue. You will find the same problem with using poison and imbues, hexblade and imbues, essences and imbues, assassinate and imbues, etc.

It's something where we need to rework how a lot of our bonus damage functions work, which is going to be a long process.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:04 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:23 am
This is a known issue. You will find the same problem with using poison and imbues, hexblade and imbues, essences and imbues, assassinate and imbues, etc.

It's something where we need to rework how a lot of our bonus damage functions work, which is going to be a long process.
It's not the exact same problem with poison and imbues at least, that one remains if I apply it after the imbue, so I'm only missing the on-hit imbue property. Then if I reequip it, only the on-hit imbue gets replaced with swashbuckler bonus damage, but the poison remains.

Perhaps the swashbuckler bonus could use the same "slot" as poison (I don't know how it works, just guessing)? Poison does seem less impactful, so it might be a smaller problem, as a temporary workaround, until it's possible to make it all work as intended.

Shortsword with GMW, Imbue and poison, but missing swashbuckler damage bonus:

Shortsword after reequip, only imbue on-hit gets replaced with swashbuckler damage bonus: