NPC "Pariah" Mechanics and Monsters

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

NPC "Pariah" Mechanics and Monsters

Post by Inordinate » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
Having a total Bluff skill of 40 does not allow a monster race (in this case a drow) to successfully interact with surface NPCs located in the Church of Bane that otherwise should operate using the 'pariah' mechanics.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Achieve 40 Bluff through skill points, Charisma bonus, and equipment
Activate disguise
Interact with any NPC in the Church of Bane areas (Watchful Sister, Trusted Servant Vicard Briers, Hulga)

Expected Result:
NPC delivers 'normal' character dialogue, such as the Watchers "Hate is God" or Trust Servant Vicard Brier's shops and services dialogue.

Actual Result:
The NPCs react as if you're a monster or pariah.

Additional Note
Character level 29 as of this post when doing the testing with 12 hard ranks in Bluff, 15 from Charisma modifier, and 13 from equipment.
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Red Ropes

Re: NPC "Pariah" Mechanics and Monsters

Post by Red Ropes » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 pm

This is not a bug.

I updated the church to be a place that is intended to be used by surface races for the most part and non-monstrous creatures. You will never acquire enough ranks for the NPCs, who, by their writing and story are prejudiced against monstrous races to respect you.

While the area does not automatically hostile people within it - it was never updated with the intention to encourage monstrous inhabitation. It is meant largely for surface oriented peoples devoted to Bane.

This does not mean you can't interact with the players within it and win yourself a minor presence (access, using its portal, living in the church and making use of its proximity for the mission of Bane.) It just means you won't be owning it and the NPCs don't really respect you (seeing as you something worthy of enslavement or minions at best).

What I can recommend is to focus your efforts as a Banite from Andunor in Andunor. To build the reputation of Bane there and to build legitimacy that way (while obviously having that soft support network of the church above if possible!)

Outcast surface races and a few FOIG UD races may have a more equitable presence due to their less than monstrous status.

edit:

Furthmore and to explain here why outcasts are permissible and so forth. They're still "normal races" of dark reputation, and clearly Bane as a god wouldn't care that much, but the NPCs inside - do not want people repeating the mistakes of Ryan Valtheran (there is lore about this from some NPCs as a sort of hint to players) as well as a few relics. The denizens who you /share/ the building with if you are renting from them do not want the place to become Andunor 2.0 - and thus have their "peaceful lives" disturbed by gangs of adventurers / armies.
🤡