Damage Penetration options

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Archnon

Damage Penetration options

Post by Archnon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:53 am

I was just wondering what counts towards damage penetration? I know the weapons themselves do. I know rogue gets a bonus, as does fighter. I know GMW does but it has to go on a blank weapon. What else???? Is there an exhaustive list?

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Damage Penetration options

Post by Mattamue » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:02 am

Arcane Archer enchantment bonus to arrows comes to mind. Spells... Keen, Blade Thirst, Holy Weapon, Darkfire, Magic Weapon, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor. Monk KI stuff.

Awaken for companion maybe? Magic fang for sure.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any list.

Who is the audience for this post?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:15 am

Mattamue wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:02 am
Arcane Archer enchantment bonus to arrows comes to mind. Spells... Keen, Blade Thirst, Holy Weapon, Darkfire, Magic Weapon, Bless Weapon, Divine Favor. Monk KI stuff.

Awaken for companion maybe? Magic fang for sure.

Otherwise, I'm not aware of any list.
Divine favor does not count towards DR pen. Reason for that is that the bonus is for the character and not the weapon. As for abilities, the ones you stated are all I remember as well. Also worth clarifying that monk improved ki works only for unarmed in regards to DR pen and that the bonus AB to weapons for monks DOES count for DR pen for the relevant weapons.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:22 am

Fighter bonus, like the rogue one, also counts.
IIRC this means you can have a racial +4 weapon and 23 fighter levels (Brycer build or some variant) you will have a +5 weapon.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:42 am

The basic rule is that enchantment or attack bonus equal or higher than the dr will penetrate.

Bonuses that stack with whatever’s on a weapon will also increase your ability to penetrate dr.

Attack bonus that modifies the roll but not the weapon will not help you penetrate dr (the ab bonus from the spell aid, from Bane of Enemies, druids’ +2 to ab in wildernes etc.)