Crafting and Purchasing Traps and Trap Components

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Barkoneus

Crafting and Purchasing Traps and Trap Components

Post by Barkoneus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm interested in making a new PC that has some skills in crafting and setting traps. What I'm not sure about is how available are traps and/or trap components to purchase? I saw a reference in another thread to trap selling NPCs, but have never found them.

If traps are cheap and easy to purchase, maybe there's no need to invest in Craft Traps.

If neither traps nor components are easy/cheap to purchase, I may try to work Paladin/Cleric into the build since they can craft Holy Water for a very cheap and essentially endless supply of Holy Traps. I do know that Holy Water can be purchased, but need to do some math on how expensive that would run at lower levels.

msterswrdsmn

Re: Crafting and Purchasing Traps and Trap Components

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:31 pm

crafting high end traps is far, far cheaper than buying them in terms of money, but requires a decent investment in skillpoints that not many people are going to be willing to do. Alchemist fire and holy water are easily found for cheap prices in towns. Other components have to be found either while hunting or from special merchants.

If you -don't- have craft traps, higher end traps can be bought from special merchants, but they're quite expensive. Recovering traps is also an option, but its far less consistant unless you know where to look for good traps.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:43 pm

From the update thread:
- The Set Trap skill can now used for crafting traps if it is higher than the craft trap skill (Temporary, intended to be moved eventually)

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:58 pm

Kuma wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:43 pm
From the update thread:
- The Set Trap skill can now used for crafting traps if it is higher than the craft trap skill (Temporary, intended to be moved eventually)
Yes, I did see that. However, I interpreted that to mean I should still invest in Craft Trap because this is just a loophole that's going to be patched in the next trap update. Would be great for some official guidance though.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:59 pm

The way I read it is they're removing Craft Trap, actually- I'd like some guidance on this too tbh.

Irongron wrote:

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:41 pm

I'd also love guidance. Should trappers be banking skill points or trade points in case something is added or changed?

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:04 pm

We have some rather neat exploding barrels just waiting for a recipe, and if possible I'd rather tie them to Craft Trap than the 'trades', and then potentially add other traps also.
This is the quote from Irongron that makes me think Craft Trap is sticking around, from July 10th in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=29261&p=233624&hil ... te#p233624

I am happy to have Trap Crafting remain outside the regular Arelith crafting system, but would love for Craft Trap and Set Trap to be consolidated! As it is having three skills (Craft/Set/Disable) just to be well rounded with traps is a little rough.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:37 am

If there's worry about, say, an Alchemy explosive being made by normies, it can still be gated behind a Set Trap investment or a Class investment (like how poison feats are required for certain poisons). I really hate the fact Set Trap exists still tbh, needing three skills to make them viable is bad.

Irongron wrote:

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:16 am

Yeah more skills being useful is good, but a lot of them are going to be "go all the way or nothing", and while rogues get a lot of skill points it's already getting to where you need 16 int to get the core you'll need while making some hard choices about whether you want to bluff, spot, parry, pick pocket etc, especially if you're not human. I'm not complaining about how it is now (making hard choices is fine, we can't all do everything) but if a few more skills became useful- or necessary if you want to do something like be a competent trapper- maybe the amount of skill points a character gets could be looked at? Heck maybe it's time nonhumans got a skill point bump so they're no as far behind... but that's a whole different topic.

There's also this whole "shady deals" grenades pseudo-store... maybe that idea could be expanded to include traps instead of or in addition to craft trap (so you could make your own for free, or requisition them at a painful cost and the quality is gated by rogue level)... maybe it could actually be done through an NPC instead of whatever we're pretending the -rogue menu does (I always wished a speedy would deliver your grenades Amazon style but that's ALSO a whole different topic..)

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:40 am

Just wanted to bump this thread again, since the wiki now says the following:
Character needs to have required points in skill Craft Trap or Set Trap (whichever skill is higher will be used).
There is no mention of this being temporary... so is this just an omission from the Wiki, or is this situation no longer temporary? Don't want to pump points into Craft Trap if I don't need to!