Has Wand Crafting Changed?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Manabi

Has Wand Crafting Changed?

Post by Manabi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Just out of curiosity, has wand crafting changed at all? I used to average about 34 charges, but lately, my characters has been making things in the low twenties. Three 22's in a row and that really upset a customer.

Someone told me that it was d20+level. If that's true, I rolled three ones in a row and then rolled 3 incredibly low numbers. Seems uh. . . quite unlikely.
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Has Wand Crafting Changed?

Post by Barradoor » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:44 pm

"A newly created wand has 1d20 + 1 charge per level of the character caster (up to a maximum of 50 charges)."

So in essence, the server really hated you in that time period. Statisticaly, that was a 1/8000 chance
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

Manabi

Post by Manabi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Barradoor wrote:"A newly created wand has 1d20 + 1 charge per level of the character caster (up to a maximum of 50 charges)."

So in essence, the server really hated you in that time period. Statisticaly, that was a 1/8000 chance
So uh. . . maybe I should feel lucky?
Owlbears are the only thing keeping Arelith from the D&D experience.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:08 pm

Anything can happen, if you believe.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:21 pm

If NWN's RNG was actually R, it would be a 1/8000 chance. But that's the thing about random number generators: they aren't. NWN's is particularly crappy. Numbers falling in streaks and improbably high numbers of failures are substantially more common than they should be.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

The Pretty Prince of Parties

Post by The Pretty Prince of Parties » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Actually, repeats are surprisingly common even with mechanical random number generators (IE: Dice.) - it's one of those odd things I learned in Statistics; my professor could tell when a student was fudging the numbers because they never had any repeats, a haphazard spread isn't what commonly occurs. It's also not less likely that you'll roll a repeat - you have the same chance of rolling that number again as you did the first time you rolled it (if that makes sense.)

/endofftopicmathematicsrant

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:51 pm

That's why I said "more common than they should be." And 2 doesn't count as a streak.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!