Quarterstaff Questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Archnon

Quarterstaff Questions

Post by Archnon » Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 pm

So I was wondering about Quarterstaffs given the new monk update.

Is the quarterstaff still considered a large weapon....thus preventing gnomes and halflings from using it?

How exactly does the double-sided damage work for Monk's specifically. Is the first attack 1d6 and the second attack 1d20 for large and 2d8 for small characters?

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Quarterstaff Questions

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed May 08, 2019 8:21 pm

Quarterstaffs are still large weapons.

Off-hand damage should be properly using the weapon's damage dice, and not the monk's unarmed dice. If you find it to be otherwise, send in a bug report.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed May 08, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks for the prompt reply! May want to update the wiki on that point. It still reads:

"Quarterstaff is now a double-sided weapon, like the double-axe and the two-bladed sword. The offhand damage is based on your base unarmed damage score (default is 1d3, or 1d4 and above for monks)."

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Wed May 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Oops, removed the unarmed damage part from wiki entry, thanks for find!

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Wait...what??

Where in the update does it say quarterstaff damage is getting nerfed?

Are you guys sure about this?
MONK
----
- The Monk Speed feat has been removed. Instead, monks receive a scripted, permanent bonus to movement speed: +10% at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15, capping at +50%. Monks now share the same movement speed cap as other characters.
- Every Ki Strike and Improved Ki Strike feat is now accompanied by increases to damage or attack bonus. Every odd feat is accompanied by +1 Bludgeoning Damage (1st, 3rd, and 5th Ki Strike feats). Every even feat is accompanied by +1 AB (2nd and 4th feats) These bonuses only apply when unarmed or wielding a Monk proficiency melee weapon, or a katana. At level 24, monks gain a further +1 AB. At level 28, they gain a further +2 AB and +3 Bludgeoning damage.
- Monks now gain Improved Ki Strike 4 and 5 at levels 18 and 20.
- Empty Body is now on a 5 minute cooldown.
- Wholeness of Body is now on a 10 minute cooldown. This feat now heals damage equal to class levels multiplied by WIS modifier and removes debuffs as per a Restoration spell.
- At level 12, the Monk gains Uncanny Dodge.
- At level 23, the Monk gains Weapon Specialization in any Monk proficiency weapon they have the Weapon Focus feat in, including Unarmed and Katana.
- At level 25, the Monk gains Blinding Speed.
- At level 28, the Monk gains Epic Dodge.
- At level 28, the Monk gains Epic Weapon Specialization in any Monk proficiency weapon they have the Epic Weapon Focus feat in, including Unarmed and Katana.
- Tongue of the Sun and Moon: Each Monk level counts as 2 Lore ranks when it comes to understanding an unlearned language.

Weapon Disciplines: Monks are adept with an assortment of weaponry. As a character progresses in monk levels, they unlock additional weapons that they can wield ably.
> At level 4, the Monk gains Weapon Focus in Club.
> At level 8, the Monk gains Weapon Focus in Kama.
> At level 12, the Monk gains Weapon Focus in Quarterstaff.
> At level 16, the Monk gains Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in Katana.
> At level 26, the Monk gains Epic Weapon Focus in Club, Quarterstaff, Kama, Unarmed, and Katana.
Weapon Familiarity: At level 28, the Monk receives Martial and Simple weapon proficiency, if they did not already have it. Additionally, they gain Improved Critical in Club, Quarterstaff, Kama, Unarmed, and Katana.

Note that monk movement speed bonuses and ki strike bonuses only apply when unarmored and not wielding a shield.

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Someone know for sure? I will change back if need.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 pm

This doesn't sound like a nerf to me. Merely addressing a bug regarding the behavior of the quarterstaff and standarizing how it should be working.

If the qstaff was SUPPOSED to take unarmed damage in the offhand attacks? That'd be a different thing. But that is for the devs to decide.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:07 am

According to the wiki (until recently) and the character sheet in game, it was supposed to do unarmed damage on the off-hand. I never really tested it; I just assumed it was working.

I don't see any mention of it getting changed in the monk update, so I was a little confused.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 am

In the wiki we tend to write things according to how they are, rather than how they are 'intended' to be working.
Since we don't always have the ability to discriminate between bugs or features. So we don't make the assumption.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 am

I'm still confused...

So, was unarmed damage on the off-hand something that was in game at one time and then changed with the recent monk update?

Or was this always a bug that was mistakenly written in the wiki as a feature for quarterstaff?

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:08 am

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 am
I'm still confused...

So, was unarmed damage on the off-hand something that was in game at one time and then changed with the recent monk update?

Or was this always a bug that was mistakenly written in the wiki as a feature for quarterstaff?
When quarterstaves were changed to double-sided weapons, the off-hand attack used the unarmed attack die instead of the staff die. That was apparently a bug, that may have been recently corrected.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Astral

Post by Astral » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:36 am

The previous damage dice was a long lasting bug.
its a recent change that is undocumented in the update thread and came after the update to Monk.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 am

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've only played on the server for a few months. With this and the "update," my monk build has been totally nerfed. I lost monk speed, all the "cookies" to compensate the speed nerf are out of reach because I multi-classed (I "only" have 20 levels of monk), and now this.

It's frustrating that a "bug" was written in the wiki as a feature instead of, at the very least, calling it a bug (so people know). I guess that's why I haven't seen any other staff monks on the server. People, especially new players, use the wiki as a source of information, so it should be accurate and transparent.

Anyway, I posted in another thread about getting a DM to relevel my character after the update, but apparently that isn't an option on this server, either. This is very frustrating considering all the negative changes for my character/build in particular. I certainly wouldn't have taken all the quarterstaff feats (7 needed in all) if I had known it was bugged and about to get fixed (nerfed).

Hopefully, a DM will read this, find me (in Skal), and help me out of the kindness in his/her heart.

Thanks, again, for the replies.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:09 am

Quarterstaff currently has Unarmed damage as the offhand.

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:08 am

Dreams wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:09 am
Quarterstaff currently has Unarmed damage as the offhand.
It still shows unarmed damage on the character sheet, but it's definitely not doing 1d20, anymore. I tested it IG.

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:38 am

I don't think the quarterstaff ever did unarmed damage on the off-hand. That's just a character sheet bug.

At any rate, the quarterstaff is definitely not weak. It earns +2 AB over its kama counterpart.

Granted, it is weaker than the katana*, but that's another problem altogether.

(* A 19-20/x2 monk -twohand finessable dual-wield weapon? What the heck were you thinking, dev team?)

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:37 am
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've only played on the server for a few months. With this and the "update," my monk build has been totally nerfed. I lost monk speed, all the "cookies" to compensate the speed nerf are out of reach because I multi-classed (I "only" have 20 levels of monk), and now this.

It's frustrating that a "bug" was written in the wiki as a feature instead of, at the very least, calling it a bug (so people know). I guess that's why I haven't seen any other staff monks on the server. People, especially new players, use the wiki as a source of information, so it should be accurate and transparent.

Anyway, I posted in another thread about getting a DM to relevel my character after the update, but apparently that isn't an option on this server, either. This is very frustrating considering all the negative changes for my character/build in particular. I certainly wouldn't have taken all the quarterstaff feats (7 needed in all) if I had known it was bugged and about to get fixed (nerfed).

Hopefully, a DM will read this, find me (in Skal), and help me out of the kindness in his/her heart.

Thanks, again, for the replies.
simply delevel back to 3 and keep all your goodies and dont multiclass.
Yes I can sign

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am
I suppose that's an option of last resort. However, it took about 5 months of heavy playing for me to get to level 30. Sure, I will probably level quite a bit faster the second time around, but I think a 30 second relevel from a sympathetic DM might be preferable...if I can find one who will do it. :)

Also, I took my first 3 levels as a rogue. *shakes fist at the 3 consecutive level rule* So, I lost monk speed and I'll never get the end game goodies for pure monks that's supposed to compensate for the speed nerf. :|

But, yeah, that's probably what I'll do...if I must. :(

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:21 pm

the speed nerf isnt that bad, your normal speed is still faster than everyone else.

the bad thing is with your first levels as rogue you miss the level 28 boosts, but everything else you get, but the level 28 stuff isnt game breaking. and even a delevel wont let you go back past 3rd, so your set with the three rogue levels.

there is too much focus and end game stuff. There is no end game in this game.
Yes I can sign

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:19 am

Its_a_jelly wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 am
Ebonstar wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:55 am
I suppose that's an option of last resort. However, it took about 5 months of heavy playing for me to get to level 30. Sure, I will probably level quite a bit faster the second time around, but I think a 30 second relevel from a sympathetic DM might be preferable...if I can find one who will do it. :)

Also, I took my first 3 levels as a rogue. *shakes fist at the 3 consecutive level rule* So, I lost monk speed and I'll never get the end game goodies for pure monks that's supposed to compensate for the speed nerf. :|

But, yeah, that's probably what I'll do...if I must. :(
I say this having learned the hard way-- don't re-level, if the character can still kill things competently enough just ride it out. Make a new monk instead. I'm totally sympathetic but DMs won't do it for you and so many people have asked for this for other class changes and it's almost always denied unless changed so majorly it's almost a different class-- and even then, usually no.

If you do re-level you can make something like a 20 monk/10 rogue with epic dodge and get most of the goodies from the monk update, assuming the character is dex based, and frankly as good as pure monks are I'd still rather have UMD myself.

Its_a_jelly

Post by Its_a_jelly » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:21 am

Yeah, Sea, I hear you.

My character lives on Skal, and is still decent. So, killing stuff isn't much of an issue. It's the occasional PC trying to PK me for no reason that has me a little worried. I'm not really into PvP and now my already gimpy build is even worse.

I definitely won't waste my time making a new character if they can suddenly be nerfed and you can't get a 30 second relevel.

Worst case, I delevel this character, I keep all my gear, keep my room, keep my shop, and level back up a bit faster because my gear is already pretty decent and I now know the island.

And, yes, UMD is awesome. I doubt I'd want to play a pure monk, anyway...especially a slow one! lol

Thank you for the advice!