Fuguewalker: Won't happen, but could be fun to talk about

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Fuguewalker: Won't happen, but could be fun to talk about

Post by triaddraykin » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Had an idea following a post about the old fugue rules, about the opposite of them.

It'd be a 5%, or even DM character, that could shift to the fugue, looking for souls who may not have a way back. Obviously, everyone can get their raises from their gods, but the characters don't know that, it's never a guarantee, to them. So, have someone that can shift to the maze, and for those characters that are alone in some deep, dark dungeon, their body there to rot among the bones of those that fell before them, this fuguewalker shows up in the Maze, and asks them where they fell. Then something could commence to recover them, or even a special power of the fuguewalker could be to bring the incorporeal and powerless ghostly form of the person along with them, to guide back to their body.

It's fun to think about, highly unlikely to happen on Arelith, expectations, abuse, so on, but I think it could be fun to discuss.

P.S. No getting into a debate about the current rules!
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Fuguewalker: Won't happen, but could be fun to talk about

Post by Irongron » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Some time ago, when considering making the fugue more of a 'game' space, and with it making respawning something more in character, I considered the idea of a 'collector' npc, who would spawn after 5 mins or so and remove the body of a fallen adventurer.

Akin to Planescape Torment's Nameless One, they would then be revived in semi-undead state, still in the fugue, before undergoing some trials/making payment to be returned to Arelith. It's going back a few years now but at the time I saw this a potential way to ensure both death and resurrection could very much remain in character.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:22 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:00 pm
Some time ago, when considering making the fugue more of a 'game' space, and with it making respawning something more in character, I considered the idea of a 'collector' npc, who would spawn after 5 mins or so and remove the body of a fallen adventurer.

Akin to Planescape Torment's Nameless One, they would then be revived in semi-undead state, still in the fugue, before undergoing some trials/making payment to be returned to Arelith. It's going back a few years now but at the time I saw this a potential way to ensure both death and resurrection could very much remain in character.
This honestly sounds a lot cooler than the current run through the fugue to the portal to wait 5 minutes only to stand around awkwardly with other players not sure if you can interact with them or it is against RP.... all the while being overweighted due to your inventory and inability to use magic to boost your stength :)

You could include some type of racially/divine based interaction, ie, come to a big room and have to chat with an NPC representing your gods concerning whether or not you can return. Agreeing to pay alms or provide prayer upon returning, etc. or even a challenge to be completed in character. Would incentivize staying on the character and playing out death instead of logging to log back in later.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:00 pm

I would love for there to be more "Resspawn Lore". I hate acknowledging it ICly at all with its current state, and if pressed, my mage can come up with some bullcrap about tangled leylines acting like a dreamcatcher and chucking lost souls back at the island if absolutely pressed on the topic, but its not a replacement for an in-universe function.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:32 pm

Alignment specific "Death quests" to respawn (simple ones) and different planes would be fun and add more flavor.