Pirate Tattoo

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

maxpolishguy

Pirate Tattoo

Post by maxpolishguy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:40 am

Hey sorry but I cannot find information about the pirate tattoo and what it entails game mechanics-wise.

Looked on the forum and wiki and I must have missed it.

What benefits/drawbacks does it offer? What do different ranks of it do?

garrbear758

Re: Pirate Tattoo

Post by garrbear758 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:03 am

Apparently it's not there as I can't find it either.

A lot of it can be explained in game when you talk to the NPC that lets you get the tattoo, but here's the gist of it.

1. When you take the pirate tattoo, you lose any citizenship you held, which also means losing access to storage chests in cities you were previously a citizen. You can never again become a citizen of a city.

2. When another player examines your character, there will be a small line or two at the very bottom of your description stating that you have a tattoo identifying you as a pirate, along with your pirate rank.
-The different ranks don't do anything mechanically as far as I'm aware, but they are used for RP. For example, a dread pirate is likely going to be treated with more fear and hostility from other players than a greenhorn (the first rank).
-The tattoo can be hidden through the use of -disguise.

3. Pirates gain access to pirate specific writs on sencliff. They can do these writs once a day, and unlike other writs, they cannot be repeated. There is no high end level limit for these writs. As you complete them, your pirate rank will increase. In addition, you can still do normal writs through crows nest, sibayad, etc.

4. On sencliff and scattered across arelith are smugglers which you can use as a fast travel alternative to portals. All of the smugglers are two way trips, so, unlike most portals, you can easily return back to where you started.

5. There are also a few rental ships that only pirates can access, along with a merchant that will buy pretty much anything (making it more convenient than running around to 6 different shops to sell your loot).

Those are the biggest mechanical differences I can think of. While there is a lot of mechanical support for pirates, the biggest difference is going to be RP. Some people will not care that you're a pirate and will treat you the same, but some will fear you, or refuse to work with you, or even attack you. In addition, you're unlikely to be able to walk freely around a large city such as Cordor without players attempting to confront and/or arrest you. Disguises and stealth will help alleviate this.

Being a pirate is definitely going to be more challenging than playing a normal surface character, in a similar way that going up to the surface is on an outcast. That challenge isn't for everyone, but if it's something you're interested in it can be a very rewarding experience.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Bunny

Post by Bunny » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:17 pm

Also you are permanently marked for factional pvp so be prepared for a lot of confrontation

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 pm

Bunny wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:17 pm
Also you are permanently marked for factional pvp so be prepared for a lot of confrontation
You can take pirate tattoos whenever you want.. It doesn't have to be at level 3. I would suggest any wanna-be pirate who doesn't have Sencliff experience yet *not* take tattoos. It makes it pretty difficult to do writs in Cordor among other things.

Instead put out the word and RP that you're looking for a crew and you'll surely be recruited when you're ready, and maybe even be able to RP out the tattoo ceremony with your new pirate buddies.

But having the tattoos without a crew to back you up.. That's some rough RP especially if you're newish to the server.