Cordor constantly crashing - What can I do?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dreams

Cordor constantly crashing - What can I do?

Post by Dreams » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:38 am

Ever since we moved to EE, Cordor has been a problem for me. There are so many different kinds of crashes that happen here but more recently it has been getting worse and worse with each update. I’m almost at the point where I get about ten seconds of play time after 5-10 mins of loading into the areas, then I crash again.

The main culprits are:
Cordor Government District
Cordor Cultural District
Cordor Farmlands
Cordor Outskirts

My crashing issues almost everywhere else don’t happen anymore. It is these four areas above all that I basically cannot transition into or out of without crashing at least ten times in a row.

What can I do to stop this?

Griefmaker

Re: Cordor constantly crashing - What can I do?

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:37 pm

Yeah, this has been a real problem for me too. I often find that I crash approx about 1/hour in Cordor, especially if I am transitioning a lot.

I do not think there is anything we really can do about it ourselves. Sadly I also do not know what the culprit is, because on the surface, I can go an entire session often without crashes.

I think it is Cordor though. I do not recall having these issues in the UD even though it is the same server. Maybe the issue is some graphic which does not process properly?

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:41 pm

make sure your gpu drivers are current, do not assume they are, especially if you are on a store bought machine
Yes I can sign

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Cordor is the only place that still gives me trouble. I dont crash, but I often fail to load
Intelligence is too important

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:58 am

@op - you mentioned load times in the 5-10 minute range. Have you upgraded your hard drive at all since the switch to Ee? I'm not saying it will solve your crashing problems, but older Hds (especially in combination with texture size upgrades) are the biggest culprit for excessive load times, in my experience. It might even be dying if it's old enough.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Breviter

Post by Breviter » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm

I run on a M.2 SSD and still crash in Cordor sometimes after 15-20 second load times. Latest graphics drivers, everything patched, yadda yadda yadda.

Thing is, it only happens after I've been playing a while. And the area will get really low framerates...unless I restart the game, at which point it runs smooth as butter in the same area.

This leads me to believe that EE may have some sort of memory leak bug or other issue that degrades performance the more you load areas. May be hardware specific, too.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:38 pm

EE had SEVERE memory leaks on launch, the recent patch made them slightly less bad, but there is still a noticeable decrease in performance as the game keeps running for longer periods, and the larger the area you are in/the more fixtures in the area the more memory is hogged as the game loads in more resources on transition that it never unloads.

That's why areas like Cordor and Burrowhome exterior are very laggy and crash-prone at present, especially Cordor since you end up transitioning through 3 massive areas crammed with stuff in rapid succession to get around the city.