New to Arelith - Thinking of RPing a Slave but I have questions!

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Jormungandr

New to Arelith - Thinking of RPing a Slave but I have questions!

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:17 am

Hello hello, Arelith!

New player here, though not new to NWN/D&D or RP :) Recently saw NWN Enhanced on Steam and found out the game is still alive, much to my joy. So I intend to jump right into it again. :mrgreen:

After reading up on the Arelith wiki I saw people can also RP as slave on Arelith and I thought why not go with that for a change, having roleplayed wizards and barbarians before. Now I tried to make an appropriate character but it seems only commoner can choose the slave background on creation? Which brings me to the question of if this is 100% limited to the commoner class or if we can have say, a ranger slave for example? I had this idea of the character being a bit more proficent to serve than just do the dishes. :mrgreen:
Na'wen Te'feyn - Wood Elf Ranger - whereabouts unknown.

Archnon

Re: New to Arelith - Thinking of RPing a Slave but I have questions!

Post by Archnon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:31 am

Should be any class but only human and half orc. If that has changed I would be very much surprised.

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:34 am

Oh, that might be it then. The only human I made to figure things out is commoner.

Wood elf is not an option at all then or is there some way for that in-game?

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:49 am

Anyone can become a slave (if they OOC agree to it, mind) they just can't start as one. You'd need to get caught on some raid/slave searching effort from some Underdarker, if you wanted to do it that way.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 am

Wonderful. Thank you! I better get roleplaying then. ;)

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:25 am

I think you can also submit yourself in sibayad, though would want an rp reason. Or sail on ships. Lots of pirates out there.

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:25 am

I also wish to throw my RP tip here as active slaver for the slaves and masters both to talk out first OOC before making "purchase," such as playtimes, personal wishes and limits, etc., so both sides are on the same page what they want to make sure the slavery RP is fun for everyone.
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm

Submitting herself wouldn't really be something my ranger would do. Not without some really good reason at least.

And yes! I am a big fan of communication and as such I would definitely want to clear up things OOC first. Thank you both for the replies. <3

Currently, Na'wen is freezing her behind off in Skaljard still though when she isn't creeping around in the forest. Still getting the hang of the server/s. Exploring is fun though! :mrgreen:

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 pm

Jormungandr wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm
Submitting herself wouldn't really be something my ranger would do. Not without some really good reason at least.

And yes! I am a big fan of communication and as such I would definitely want to clear up things OOC first. Thank you both for the replies. <3

Currently, Na'wen is freezing her behind off in Skaljard still though when she isn't creeping around in the forest. Still getting the hang of the server/s. Exploring is fun though! :mrgreen:
I'm always willing to take new slave players to help them get into slavery RP if interested! Have fun and hopefully see you later IG!
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 pm

Choosing a slave as your first arelith character is... interesting. In some ways it's perhaps a good choice though, especialy if you can get in with the right group as they can very much 'walk you though' Arelith. But it can also be challenging, depending on your rp style and expectations.
A few thoughts then:

1) To START as a slave in the underdark, you need to be either human or halforc, and of evil or neutral alignment.
2) You can take the collar later. Either by happenstance, or by ooc organization. The latter is a little... meta? But we all know it happens.
3) Slavery is VERY LONG TERM!!!! This part is extremely important. If your idea is to start as a slave, then become free two OOC days later, you may want to avoid this path. Freeing yourself from the collar can, in theory, take weeks or months. If you're looking for something more short term, consider the prisoner collar instead.
4) Slaves CANNOT OWN QUARTERS except for Slave quarters (which are rare,and only purchasable by slaves) and maybe rooms in guildhouses, if their master owns said guildhouse.
5) You can be a slave that's unowned (either by Sibiyad, orAndunor or whatever) or a slave that's owned (this is far far more common) This mostly ties your rp to one person. Be sure that the person has similar play times to you, and also is genuinly interested in following up your rp.
6: Unless you're doing it from startup, surface slavery is easier to access but is far, far less supported than underdark slavery. That said the underdark - by it's evil nature, is a lot less forgiving than the surface. So... *shrug* Take your pick.

To be honest? Unless you intend to START as a slave on arelith from character creation? I suggest you take the PRISONER collar first. This works just like a slave collar, except without some of the strictures, and you can technically remove it any time you want. Take the prisoner collar, find someone to rp with. Hang with them. If you find the style of rp gels with you nicely? Great! Then take the slave collar with them and continue! If you arn't enjoying it? Then you can remove the collar and play a free ranger on the surface- or whatever!

And a final note - this should be obvious but - The nature of slavery In Character is to be forced to do things your character does not like. Which is fine.
But at no point, OOC, should that be true. If you, OOC, don't want to take the collar, or do a thing? Then nothing stops you. It might be good rp to go with the concept, don't get me wrong. And thus I would suggest being careful and thoughtful before taking it - But even Good Roleplay should come second in this case to being comfortable as a player.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:10 pm

Petrifictus wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:44 pm
Jormungandr wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:41 pm

I'm always willing to take new slave players to help them get into slavery RP if interested! Have fun and hopefully see you later IG!
Hey I wouldn't say no to the help :mrgreen:

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:49 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:56 pm
Choosing a slave as your first arelith character is... interesting. In some ways it's perhaps a good choice though, especialy if you can get in with the right group as they can very much 'walk you though' Arelith. But it can also be challenging, depending on your rp style and expectations.
A few thoughts then:

1) To START as a slave in the underdark, you need to be either human or halforc, and of evil or neutral alignment.
2) You can take the collar later. Either by happenstance, or by ooc organization. The latter is a little... meta? But we all know it happens.
3) Slavery is VERY LONG TERM!!!! This part is extremely important. If your idea is to start as a slave, then become free two OOC days later, you may want to avoid this path. Freeing yourself from the collar can, in theory, take weeks or months. If you're looking for something more short term, consider the prisoner collar instead.
4) Slaves CANNOT OWN QUARTERS except for Slave quarters (which are rare,and only purchasable by slaves) and maybe rooms in guildhouses, if their master owns said guildhouse.
5) You can be a slave that's unowned (either by Sibiyad, orAndunor or whatever) or a slave that's owned (this is far far more common) This mostly ties your rp to one person. Be sure that the person has similar play times to you, and also is genuinly interested in following up your rp.
6: Unless you're doing it from startup, surface slavery is easier to access but is far, far less supported than underdark slavery. That said the underdark - by it's evil nature, is a lot less forgiving than the surface. So... *shrug* Take your pick.

To be honest? Unless you intend to START as a slave on arelith from character creation? I suggest you take the PRISONER collar first. This works just like a slave collar, except without some of the strictures, and you can technically remove it any time you want. Take the prisoner collar, find someone to rp with. Hang with them. If you find the style of rp gels with you nicely? Great! Then take the slave collar with them and continue! If you arn't enjoying it? Then you can remove the collar and play a free ranger on the surface- or whatever!

And a final note - this should be obvious but - The nature of slavery In Character is to be forced to do things your character does not like. Which is fine.
But at no point, OOC, should that be true. If you, OOC, don't want to take the collar, or do a thing? Then nothing stops you. It might be good rp to go with the concept, don't get me wrong. And thus I would suggest being careful and thoughtful before taking it - But even Good Roleplay should come second in this case to being comfortable as a player.
Not sure why I see the post only now but better late than never. And thank you for this very thought through and in-depth response.

While I said I roleplayed Wizards and Barbarians before, this only applies to D&D. I did RP a slave once before in SWTOR a long long looong time ago and that was a lot of fun. Not going to lie I was extremely lucky with finding an extremely amazing roleplayer for that as well, sadly IRL time constraints eventually ended that.

I am very much going for underdark there in fact and am well aware that this is long-term and I am perfectly fine with that.

The advice with the two different collars is something I would most likely make use of and the wiki never spoke of that - that said thank you! Seems like a good way to test the waters in general.

Mhm, OOC and IC are two different horses and I am gone really quick if I notice someone isn't able to make that distinction. Thank you for the warning though! Same with limits/being un/comfortable. This is the part where I value OOC communication extremely high. It just solves so many problems and prevents most altogether.

As for quarters.. Honestly I wouldn't know what to do with those had I quarters right now on my ranger. :mrgreen: