owning

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

flamesse

owning

Post by flamesse » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:13 pm

under the rule of owning only 1 quarter and (i hope im not mistaking...) 1 shop maximum per PLAYER, i find myself in some trouble...
basically...my main char is owning a shop in cordor, and my secondary char just inherited a quarters in Radiant Heart, but with the affiliates shop aswell...so now even though i would be allowed to own the quarters, i wont the shop...the shop cant be owned by someone that has no access in the quarters as the "command sign" for the shop is in there...please advise what should i do...the easyest sillution that probably people will come with is" choose cordor(aka good selling) shop, or Radiant quarters plus shop...) im waiting for more of a dmish answer. thanks

Nitro

Re: owning

Post by Nitro » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 am

Easiest solution is sell the quarter/shop combo, or the Cordor shop.

Another solution is to give another player a key to the radiant heart quarter to let them have access to the shop sign, letting them own it while you own the quarter.

Either way you'll want to get rid of one shop quickly, the DM's look dimly on one player holding more property than he's supposed to for more than 24hrs.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 am

I know you said you wanted a DM answer, but this has been a pretty consistent ruling that's been clarified several times throughout the years- my understanding of the situation is that you should have declined to inherit ownership unless you were committing to release the other shop, but honest mistakes happen- at the end of the day (literally, preferably, as in within 24 hours) you have to give one up.

Whether this means you take into consideration who else the person who gave it to you might want to have control if not you and foist it off accordingly (and quickly) or whether that just means you have to abandon shop, there's no real way around it. If someone wants to buy it and can't because you own it at the same time as owning another shop, it will get much stickier, and may wind up involving a DM releasing the property for you. Nitro's second solution seems like a pretty good idea.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:12 am

(nevermind then)
Last edited by Wuthering on Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

flamesse

Post by flamesse » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:21 am

thanks alot for the quick responses, i didnt mean any disonsideration towards oter players by asking a dm answer, thats why i mentioned "DMishL myself meaning some answers based on previous rulings or something like that, not only general concept...thanks again :)

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 am

If you don't want to hear from other players then contact a DM directly. If you ask in a forum other players will answer.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Nitro wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:45 am
Easiest solution is sell the quarter/shop combo, or the Cordor shop.

Another solution is to give another player a key to the radiant heart quarter to let them have access to the shop sign, letting them own it while you own the quarter.

Either way you'll want to get rid of one shop quickly, the DM's look dimly on one player holding more property than he's supposed to for more than 24hrs.
This is really the best way forward.

I recommend going with this persons suggestions.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)