What's going on with Scry?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DangerDolphin

What's going on with Scry?

Post by DangerDolphin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:19 pm

I've been hearing some stuff about -scry and not sure if it's true or not as the wiki doesn't mention it. Would appreciate if people could clarify. What I've heard is:

- Scry now costs 1000xp to use, so only level 30s really use it now and you should take it as late as possible

- Anyone disguised (even with no bluff) cannot be scried on, so many characters stay permanently disguised

- You can only scry on someone if you know their real name, you can't scry on someone with their disguised name

Thanks!

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What's going on with Scry?

Post by Eira » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm

The first two are false.

I am unsure about the third. But I believe you can scry on them, since you can always just select them in the playerlist.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:04 pm

You need to know someones name IC to scry on them otherwise you're metagaming. Then it doesn't matter if they're bluffed or not, your scry will always go through.
From the wiki:
"-scry beats -disguise - if you're being scried on, the scrier knows who you are at that point in time.
However:

they can't automatically recognize you on a different occasion
being able to use -scry doesn't mean you automatically see through disguises when you're not scrying
you can't automatically see through the disguises of anyone else you happen to see while scrying, only the person who you're actively scrying on." Mithreas
It is a rule that your character must know the name of the character you are intending to scry. Players may mutually agree to waive it, such as a potential "-scry victim" giving permission to use their hair/blood/so on to -scry them without their name, but without this mutual agreement you must have the name.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:08 pm

Was scry recently changed? It didn't require gold the last time I did.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm

- Scry now costs 1000xp to use, so only level 30s really use it now and you should take it as late as possible

- Anyone disguised (even with no bluff) cannot be scried on, so many characters stay permanently disguised

- You can only scry on someone if you know their real name, you can't scry on someone with their disguised name
1) False
2) False - but you can scry on someone using their disguised name. I'm not sure if you can use someones real name, whilst they are disguised, to scry on them. I'll experiment with that.
3) False - I scryed on someone with my PC using their Disguised name myself player side just yesterday.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:19 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:29 pm

1) False
2) False - but you can scry on someone using their disguised name. I'm not sure if you can use someones real name, whilst they are disguised, to scry on them. I'll experiment with that.
3) False - I scryed on someone with my PC using their Disguised name myself player side just yesterday.
RP wise you need to know their real name or have something of them like a lock of hair or something , i could be wrong though.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:28 pm

what GC means is that if you get someone's disguise name, that works to scry on them while they are in that disguise.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 pm

RP wise you need to know their real name or have something of them like a lock of hair or something , i could be wrong though.
The lock of hair is not needed. I mean - if you wanna rp that? Go for it! Kudos to you! That's really classy! But there's no rule you must have it.
Mechanicaly all that's needed is for you to know the name under which someone is going by, or else their real name (either works apparenty).
This may change in the future.
That said- you /should/ icly know the name of the person (again, either disguised or real)

So for example, let's say you spotted someone pickpocketing your character, but they got away. They had no interaction with you, and you don't, ICly, know their name (disguised or otherwise.)
In that case you cannot use -scry on them. You do need to know their name, or their current alias.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 pm

Real curious who says this kind of stuff.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:28 pm
Real curious who says this kind of stuff.
If they are going by IC info, my character totally says all sorts of things like this all the time! Of course, he also says that even the lowest circles of spells require spell components and also stuff that is totally bonkers, like how he once charmed a succubus named Bob and transmuted said succubus into a magical tapeworm which he breeds and infests others with so he can magically track them.

What is scary is how many times I have heard random or fabricated things stated IC suddenly become "OOC" knowledge. Not sure if something like that is the case here, or if others are giving false OOC information, but it is possible.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm
like how he once charmed a succubus named Bob and transmuted said succubus into a magical tapeworm which he breeds and infests others with so he can magically track them
that escalated quickly

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:56 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:31 pm
like how he once charmed a succubus named Bob and transmuted said succubus into a magical tapeworm which he breeds and infests others with so he can magically track them.
This is probably one of the greasiest things I've ever read on these forums. Great job. Just a joke, right?

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:42 am

wew lad
Intelligence is too important

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:37 am

Forgive my Laughter:
I have a Condition