Language teaching ruling question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Party in the forest at midnight

Language teaching ruling question

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:51 am

Hello, I wanted to get back to holding language lessons and want to know how the ruling impacts them. In the last lesson I held, I was reading passages from a book in every language people asked me to speak, and asked everyone present to pick a word from each sentence and say it in a language that they can teach or are learning. Since not everyone was fluent in the languages they were trying to speak it became really funny and chaotic, I thought it was a good experience.

I've got some questions though:
Is reading out books in more than one language acceptable?

Is asking the crowd to participate acceptable? I ask the audience to only repeat one word because asking for a full repetition would be really, really time consuming. The last lesson I held I only got through one book, and it took two hours.

If one word is not acceptable, is it acceptable for the audience to repeat short sentences?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Language teaching ruling question

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:01 am

So long as the text is something in cannon and reasonable you're probably fine. Don't start cut/copy/pasting Harry Potter at them though.

The participation is OK. Though I'd suggest maybe making it more interesting? Maybe ask them questions about the book in the language - see if they understand it. Or ask them questions and ask them to reply in said language- something more interesting than repeating one word over and over again.

Honestly the thing we're really trying to get rid of is people constnatly just puking out single words/letters over and over again with little to no rp around it.
So long as you arn't doing that, you're probably alright.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:22 am

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:01 am
Though I'd suggest maybe making it more interesting? Maybe ask them questions about the book in the language - see if they understand it. Or ask them questions and ask them to reply in said language- something more interesting than repeating one word over and over again.
hard to make it compelling when statistically speaking at least one party will struggle like mad to make themselves understood, nevermind any other students or observers (especially with the change to lore).

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:07 am

I'm going to just keep doing what I was doing. The experience was interactive and I think people had a lot of fun, and it wasn't against the spirit of the rule that Grumpycat stated. I don't think it's worth worrying about too much since she clarified what they want to crack down on.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm

The reason the reminder about language learning was brought up was because there was an increase of cases where people were spamming one line sentences or the alphabet to enhance their friends learning. This is not sufficient roleplay or acceptable to learn languages; its exploitative. And, as mentioned, offenses would see a loss of language and likely RPR considerations.

There is nothing wrong with proper language lessons, where conversations are had - I've seen the Tower, in the past, host successful language lessons where they would say a paragraph in a language and also in common. Just so people could follow along, learn and know what was said even if they failed to translate.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Someday i hope someone will accomplish the Herculean task of running all the languages through an English phonics course to see what they break down into...

Edit: ive been thinking about this literally all day long. Does anyone have anyway to translate large amounts of text in a more efficient process than this -
Text in Word Document > Copy Text from Doc > Paste in game text box as another langage > Transcribe from IG language back into Word Doc

Literally some kind of google translate esque program for the different languages.

DM Wraith
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Wraith » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:35 am

Another option to build off of Spyre for people to consider that facilitates roleplay is to hire out a Tutor and Translator that can take these paragraph formed lessons and translate for understanding. This builds narrative as well as facilitates roleplay in the world rather than a friend spamming meme phrases or the alphabet.