Does the book bag actually hold books?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

gesseritt
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Does the book bag actually hold books?

Post by gesseritt » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:39 am

So I got a book bag, but it can't hold guide books (like the crafting book, etc.), can't hold summoning books (for streams) and can't hold phrasebooks.

What books can it hold?
Discord: gesseritt#9934

Good Character

Re: Does the book bag actually hold books?

Post by Good Character » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:09 am

The lore-based books. Examples are "Portals: A Brief Introduction" and "A Grandfather of Tales".

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:42 am

It can hold phrasebooks, but you won't learn from them while it's in the bookbag. I had assumed it would hold the starter books. I'd suggest having the wiki and discord ready for questions over the crafting book. I haven't seen one in a while but I assume the crafting book does not explain the mastery rolls that crafting gets. Otherwise, even the stream books should be able to go into the bookbag. Stream/magical books are only barred from copying.

Who is the audience for this post?

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:49 am

The Starter Books information and usage can all be accessed via the Rest Menu as well, so you do not technically need to carry the books to make use of the Diety and Trade features
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am

I wasnt happy to see book bags added to the game, because it was never going to work properly.

Basically there are items that exist in the "palette', meaning they are part of the Arelith engine and can be spawned/fetched at will by a DM or toolset dev, while others exist only within areas themselves, possibly brought in on a dm avatar or made within a certain area container.

We have a great many of the latter in loot, and treasure containers, allowing us to exceed normal limitations and swap things in and out quite easily, and a lot are books.

Because these items don't exist in the engine, the game is unable to reference and respawn them, hence they don't work with container items of this kind.

Book bags, as a result, should likely just be removed from the module - as there will never be any sense as to what stores and what doesn't, which makes for very ugly design.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:22 pm

Irongron wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:01 am
I wasnt happy to see book bags added to the game, because it was never going to work properly.

Basically there are items that exist in the "palette', meaning they are part of the Arelith engine and can be spawned/fetched at will by a DM or toolset dev, while others exist only within areas themselves, possibly brought in on a dm avatar or made within a certain area container.

We have a great many of the latter in loot, and treasure containers, allowing us to exceed normal limitations and swap things in and out quite easily, and a lot are books.

Because these items don't exist in the engine, the game is unable to reference and respawn them, hence they don't work with container items of this kind.

Book bags, as a result, should likely just be removed from the module - as there will never be any sense as to what stores and what doesn't, which makes for very ugly design.
Wrong. They do work on custom non-palette items and does both save and recreate them. It has worked this way since they have been introduced.

The reason it doesn't work on the above books is they are considered 'magical' due to having cast spell (unique) properties. It doesn't track charges or uses per day; and on the later even if it did there's likely not a way to restore them. That is if it wasn't somewhat intentional as magical property books should be costing inventory space

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:41 pm

Well that's good news, I know the new bookshelves worked on non-palette books, but thought the same was not true for book-bags, it certainly wasn't for the jewellery boxes when they were introduced, which required a rather labour-intensive fix to get working.

If it is purely charge-based books that don't work in containers then I don't really see an issue at all.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Yes, please keep book bags!

Who is the audience for this post?