Issues/Concerns regarding NWN VR

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dr. B

Issues/Concerns regarding NWN VR

Post by Dr. B » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:04 am

So we've got NWN on Switch now, along with an influx of players, and things seem generally fine. But the latest announcement from Beamdog is troubling... how are people supposed to roleplay while running around in their rooms with an Oculus Rift on their face? I know it has built in keyboard support, but the keyboard isn't available when you change direction, so that doesn't sound like much good. Is there a plan in the works for Arelith to support it?

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Issues/Concerns regarding NWN VR

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:44 am

It sounds pretty interesting if you ask me. I like that it's going to track your movements and gestures and translate them to in-game actions. If you wave at someone, it'll play the wave emote. But better yet, I love the sound of having a hotbar that plays actions based on your gesture. It's going to be SO COOL to play a wizard and be able to gesture and make a spell happen, like I'm actually casting it. IMO if you get a quality voice-to-text program you could probably get away with not even using a keyboard. This is going to be the most immersive online roleplay experience to date.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:46 am

I'm pretty sure Oculus Rift doesn't have finger tracking. I know the Valve Index is supposed to, but I don't think NWNVR is compatible with the technology.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:51 am

Not fingertracking, didn't you read the part where they describe how it'll work with the Oculus Touch? It can detect how you're positioning your hands, so you can move your hands to perform gesture macros. You hold the trigger button down and then perform a movement, and once you let go of the button that action will translate to something in-game.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:54 am

Huh. That's pretty nifty. :D Maybe when the government checks come I'll splurge on an Oculus, then.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 am

*looks at the date*
:thinking:

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 am

Nitro wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 am
*looks at the date*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFuZHE9kiyc&t=0m3s

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 am

Dr. B wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:04 am
So we've got NWN on Switch now, along with an influx of players, and things seem generally fine. But the latest announcement from Beamdog is troubling... how are people supposed to roleplay while running around in their rooms with an Oculus Rift on their face? I know it has built in keyboard support, but the keyboard isn't available when you change direction, so that doesn't sound like much good. Is there a plan in the works for Arelith to support it?
Have you ever played a VR game?
You don't run around in your room in most of them. You use pointer to teleport to location where you want to go. In case of NWN they likely will run around to point.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:47 am

Dr. B wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:55 am
Nitro wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:56 am
*looks at the date*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFuZHE9kiyc&t=0m3s

I was hoping to be rickrolled. :lol:

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:13 am

I do not think Arelith has anything to be worried about. How players are interfacing with Arelith should be irrelevant.

It should always boil down to how they interact with the setting and other characters.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm

Void wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 am
Dr. B wrote:
You don't run around in your room in most of them. You use pointer to teleport to location where you want to go. In case of NWN they likely will run around to point.
That's even worse. How are they going to be capable of fine-grained movements with some clunky point and move mechanism? Imagine it taking five tries for a PC to position themselves in front of you for a conversation.

*Sigh* Arelith is ruined. Everyone panic.

Void

Post by Void » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:03 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 pm
Void wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:31 am
Dr. B wrote:
That's even worse. How are they going to be capable of fine-grained movements with some clunky point and move mechanism? Imagine it taking five tries for a PC to position themselves in front of you for a conversation.
You've just described point and click movement that existed in nwn1 since day one and that we're using to this day. :mrgreen:
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm

'Kay, time to do a roundup of people who didn't realize this was an April Fool's joke, even after Nitro pointed it out:
  • Void
  • Shadow Reality
That is all.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:52 pm

Dr. B wrote:
I was surprised they tried to bring this back. The Beamdog intro video spending like 7 minutes focused on Sinfair wasn't appropriate either.

Who is the audience for this post?