Spellsword Deathsinger concept, 2 Lore questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Acrid

Spellsword Deathsinger concept, 2 Lore questions

Post by Acrid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 am

Intro:
Bladesinger was the original goal, started a spellsword and realised my RP wasnt amazing due to myself not enjoying parts of the build. I made several searchs before having the need to make a post.
Part of the reroll is also after reading The watchtower guide to character post.

Deathsinger questions:
(EDIT: answered) 1A) According to https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Zyj-sYYx that is so far the deepest lore ive found, Deathsinger don't really wear fullplate and are sorcerers > Can i be a fullplate spellsword and pretend to reach the deathsinger path (with a battleaxe) ?

2A) According to that same website, it is not teached from another deathsinger but rather innate sort of. Regarding RP potential, i would guess it is rather preffered to be taught than innate > Innate or taught?

3A) Diety; according " " " ", some claimed to be a gift from Vhaeraun, other Lolth. Vhaeraun also knowned to be male wizard diety. However, Alignement wise, lawfull could fit in a way that being a sort of mage requiring studying and so self discipline, on top of reaching deathsong mastering which takes human lifetime according to bladesong lore. However, neither of Vhaeraun nor Lolth is lawfull. La'laskra is > Which diety is best to take lore/alignement-wise? Are Vhaeruan followers accepted from Matrons society in Arelith? (Hesitating between Vhaeraun and Selvetarm).

4A) (EDIT: answered) Is there Arelith webpage concerning lore or ingame books about deathsingers? (this might answer previous questions). Maybe even bladesinger FR book suggestion.

Build questions (EDIT, answered):
1B) How much discipline is required in PvP to resist well IKD assuming to be elven size?
2B) Do spellsword use IKD related feat? (knowing it has 3 rounds cd on target)
3B) Having no knowledge of endgame gear, is it possible to have +12 STR, +8 CHA and skill buffs stacked on a single gear set?
4B) Does the AC from gear stack with the 20 buff cap?
Last edited by Acrid on Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Active: Val'rak
Inactive/standby: Il'ae (lvl 10)

Good Character

Re: Deathsinger spellsword concept, lore and build 8 questions

Post by Good Character » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:20 pm

In my opinion, you probably can't pretend to be a deathsinger as a spellsword. Your class is your class. Also, no Arelith lorebooks exist on deathsingers at the moment.

For your build questions:
1. Meta builds are pushing past 50 AB. I would recommend around 70 discipline.
2. Usually, no. If you want to, drop Arcane Def: Abjuration and ESF: Transmutation. 5% gear to make up for the -1 on stats that you're missing from ESF: Trans.
3. Technically, yes. You'll need shield proficiency. Grab Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and rune your armor and shield for STR. Just tag on CHA for your other equipment along with STR.
4. Yes. I'm assuming you're asking because you want to use bard and/or paladin. I doubt you'll be hitting the 20 cap, though.

Acrid

Post by Acrid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Good Character wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:20 pm
In my opinion, you probably can't pretend to be a deathsinger as a spellsword. Your class is your class. Also, no Arelith lorebooks exist on deathsingers at the moment.

For your build questions:
1. Meta builds are pushing past 50 AB. I would recommend around 70 discipline.
2. Usually, no. If you want to, drop Arcane Def: Abjuration and ESF: Transmutation. 5% gear to make up for the -1 on stats that you're missing from ESF: Trans.
3. Technically, yes. You'll need shield proficiency. Grab Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and rune your armor and shield for STR. Just tag on CHA for your other equipment along with STR.
4. Yes. I'm assuming you're asking because you want to use bard and/or paladin. I doubt you'll be hitting the 20 cap, though.
Deathsinger:

There is indeed no bladesinger/deathsinger custom class in Arelith, yet does it means it is forbiden to play one? Any builds are based of a class, im sur somewhere a guy made a bard and rped as a bladesinger, yet is he a bard or a bladesinger?

EDIT: i hope i didnt sound harsh in the first 2 lines >.<
Its true that there are differences in the Spellsword as its mainly said that they have magic limitations and simply use magic into their weapons. http://wiki.arelith.com/Spellsword , while Bladesinger is about musical blade/weilder and specified technic of fighting.

I picked spellsword (played bard before but no spellsword) as from what i red, seemed to match the best of what a BS/Deathsinger could be. In various sites i did read that wizards could be BS as at 1:30 of this informative video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmNYU96qNzU . If in BS descriptionits mentionned that some spell could be devastating, seems more realistic to toward the wizardry than Bard (i love bard dont get me wrong :p ).

So basicaly, from either Bard, wizard and maybe sorc because i did noticed on the Arelith page https://arelith.fandom.com/wiki/Bladesinger , there is no mention of bard or wizard possibly for the purpose to let poeple decide as long as they give RP quality in the BS/DS RP, following the goal to provide rich RP environement of the team.

In conclusion and reffering to the previously link of Bladesinger Arelith infos:
"There are two types of bladesingers; those who learn it as an additional skill, and those who have made it their lives. Those in the second category are known as Bladesingers. Those elves who learn it as an additional skill are not considered bladesingers by any means, they have only complimented their own fighting styles with the art of bladesong."
The possibility of rolling a spellsword and learning additional Deathsinger skill would maybe seems realistic in your point of view, therefore not being true deathsinger but mainly spellsword.
Additionnaly, if DM are in favor and if the RP furnished been sufficient enough, after some time maybe the possibility to be a real Deathsinger.
(Note: im not an amazing rper, working on it so dont get hopes from me lol)

Build:

Very informative thank you, as spellsword no shield so maybe +8 STR, +8 CHA is more doable then, with discipline skills.
No Knockdown then.
Blackguard yes, its an ultra tight build... spellcasting in fullplate etc...

EDITED, few times, last one now.

Wuthering

Post by Wuthering » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Good Character wrote:
In my opinion, you probably can't pretend to be a deathsinger as a spellsword. Your class is your class.
That isn't necessarily true. "Character class" is an OOC concept that's limited by game mechanics but you have a lot of leeway in game to call yourself whatever you want as long as your RP support it and your abilities are a reasonable approximation. Plenty of people have cobbled together bastardized versions of classes that don't exist in-game in the past.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm

I've 100% played characters that called themselves something other than the standard NWN classes. Artificers, magehounds, etc. I don't think you're going to hurt anyone by calling a spellsword a deathsinger.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Acrid

Re: Spellsword Deathsinger concept, 4 Lore questions

Post by Acrid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:30 pm

Wuthering wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:57 pm
Good Character wrote:
In my opinion, you probably can't pretend to be a deathsinger as a spellsword. Your class is your class.
That isn't necessarily true. "Character class" is an OOC concept that's limited by game mechanics but you have a lot of leeway in game to call yourself whatever you want as long as your RP support it and your abilities are a reasonable approximation. Plenty of people have cobbled together bastardized versions of classes that don't exist in-game in the past.
Drowboy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:05 pm
I've 100% played characters that called themselves something other than the standard NWN classes. Artificers, magehounds, etc. I don't think you're going to hurt anyone by calling a spellsword a deathsinger.
Raaaah! There's hope then.

Back to questions:
Acrid wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:55 am
1A) According to https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/H1Zyj-sYYx that is so far the deepest lore ive found, Deathsinger don't really wear fullplate and are sorcerers > Can i be a fullplate spellsword and pretend to reach the deathsinger path (with a battleaxe) ?

2A) According to that same website, it is not teached from another deathsinger but rather innate sort of. Regarding RP potential, i would guess it is rather preffered to be taught than innate > Innate or taught?

3A) Diety; according " " " ", some claimed to be a gift from Vhaeraun, other Lolth. Vhaeraun also knowned to be male wizard diety. However, Alignement wise, lawfull could fit in a way that being a sort of mage requiring studying and so self discipline, on top of reaching deathsong mastering which takes human lifetime according to bladesong lore. However, neither of Vhaeraun nor Lolth is lawfull. La'laskra is > Which diety is best to take lore/alignement-wise?
:D

Acrid

Re: Spellsword Deathsinger concept, 3 Lore questions

Post by Acrid » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:43 am

Additionaly, while looking for deathsong infos, i tried to see if Drows knowing magic from learning are more valued than innates ones in matron ruling cities type, and finding something else on https://arelith.fandom.com/wiki/Playing ... 2C_and_why , the point here being don't do cups of teas with surfacers or you can have your character deleted.

-What if my Drow needs to gain (somehow) the trust of handfull surfacers to be able to act in evil manners afterward. Because lawfull evil to me is like subtil evil and having some points in INT means he would likely less show himself in evil manners at first sights. But the low WIS can make him do so with the wrong poeple, in smart way still.

-If anyone could enlight me as to what diety please, or else might go for Vhaeraun, yet still unsure (La'laskra too).

EDIT: although im starting to think deathsinger have their magical origins from the sorcerer class, making spellsword not eligible at all...
EDIT 07/04/2020: Lawfull not possible > https://arelith.fandom.com/wiki/Drow_use_of_languages bottom -IN section
Last edited by Acrid on Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:02 pm

I made a deathsinger concept ages ago but it was bard based. Something very viable could be made from bard I’d wager but when emulating classes that are not supported the important thing is to pick a concept and roll with it. Want to go spellsword? Find a way to spin the central powers and abilities in a way that fits the deathsinger lore/features.

I’ve seen many takes on bladesingers: some were bards, some were rangers, one was a sorc/CoT/rdd (at least I -think- Trinitiren went some sort of bladesinger features, not sure), some were weapon masters etc.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm

Acrid wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:43 am
Additionaly, while looking for deathsong infos, i tried to see if Drows knowing magic from learning are more valued than innates ones in matron ruling cities type, and finding something else on https://arelith.fandom.com/wiki/Playing ... 2C_and_why , the point here being don't do cups of teas with surfacers or you can have your character deleted.

-What if my Drow needs to gain (somehow) the trust of handfull surfacers to be able to act in evil manners afterward. Because lawfull evil to me is like subtil evil and having some points in INT means he would likely less show himself in evil manners at first sights. But the low WIS can make him do so with the wrong poeple, in smart way still.

-If anyone could enlight me as to what diety please, or else might go for Vhaeraun, yet still unsure (La'laskra too).

EDIT: although im starting to think deathsinger have their magical origins from the sorcerer class, making spellsword not eligible at all...
EDIT 07/04/2020: Lawfull not possible > https://arelith.fandom.com/wiki/Drow_use_of_languages bottom -IN section

That's not the right wiki and also whoever wrote that doesn't know what they're talking about. There's been lawful drow here for years, ignore it.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Acrid

Post by Acrid » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Jagel wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:02 pm
I made a deathsinger concept ages ago but it was bard based. Something very viable could be made from bard I’d wager but when emulating classes that are not supported the important thing is to pick a concept and roll with it. Want to go spellsword? Find a way to spin the central powers and abilities in a way that fits the deathsinger lore/features.

I’ve seen many takes on bladesingers: some were bards, some were rangers, one was a sorc/CoT/rdd (at least I -think- Trinitiren went some sort of bladesinger features, not sure), some were weapon masters etc.
Thats interesting and makes sense, Bard is what fits best imo but i played a bard before and spellsword not so much. I will meditate on your words and will probably roll a Spellsword Deathsinger. Thank you for your answer, i was checking this thread few times a day now hoping for further clarifications, im impatient >.<
Drowboy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:08 pm
That's not the right wiki and also whoever wrote that doesn't know what they're talking about. There's been lawful drow here for years, ignore it.
Thank you for the enlightement Drowboy, he will then be a LE Drow.