Would a Witch Hunter/Witcher themed Ranger path suit Arelith?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

1ofAkindGuy2000

Would a Witch Hunter/Witcher themed Ranger path suit Arelith?

Post by 1ofAkindGuy2000 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:40 pm

Something I've just been wondering lately. Arelith has terrifying monsters like undead, fiends and aberrations as well as evil spell casters and classes such as Warlocks, Hexblades and Shadow Mages. It would kind of seem natural that there might be a ranger variant that trained specifically to hunt down and kill such foes. The stereotypical backstory of demons/undead killed my family as well as several other suitable origins for characters to take up such a path could easily happen fairly often on Arelith.

Perhaps swapping the two weapon fighting feats with feats or class features that more suit the concept would work, or maybe a different spell list or replace the animal companion with something and slightly different skills. Now that I've written this down it sounds more like an entirely different class instead of just a variant path. But still, I think something along the concept might suit the game world.

Chosen Son

Re: Would a Witch Hunter/Witcher themed Ranger path suit Arelith?

Post by Chosen Son » Tue May 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Rangers already get favored enemy, giving the ab, and damage against monsters. Other things that might help like saves, and ac/more damage you can get by taking paladin/harper levels.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue May 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Paladins really fit that niche you're looking for as well.

1ofAkindGuy2000

Post by 1ofAkindGuy2000 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 pm

Paladins do fit, but in a very specific way. A shadowbane inquisitor might be more along the lines. But in both cases they wouldn't really fit other types that might be focused on vengeance and money, or the specific approach taken being study and skill. Paladins tend to be very religion focused. I was thinking more of a sort of ranger variant along the lines of the Monster Hunter prestige class from the Prisoners of the Mist PW https://nwnravenloft.fandom.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter that would not be confined to religious docterine, a code of behavior or the lawful good alignment.

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue May 12, 2020 8:18 pm

You could play a Spellsword as a Witcher type character, albeit without the Studied Enemy bonus.

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue May 12, 2020 10:20 pm

A Witcher / Witch-Hunter is a great concept.

And you get a cloak too!

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Tue May 12, 2020 10:47 pm

It would be dope if they ever decided to add pistols (probably won't) and the Warhammer style Witch Hunter hats. I know it's really cliche but I'd play one.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 am

Witch hunters don't really fit the FR setting magic is accepted and fairly common place.
Dragon Lance type world where there are very few clerics and wizards are feared sure they would be prefect.

A witcher type your really just playing a ranger/divine champion type very limited magic but good with a sword.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Wed May 13, 2020 2:25 am

Go spellblade tbh.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 am

Ranger/Harper paragon is good and might fill that niche. Harpers are a wide organization that might be employed as witch/warlock hunters.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 am

chris a gogo wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:33 am
Witch hunters don't really fit the FR setting magic is accepted and fairly common place.
Dragon Lance type world where there are very few clerics and wizards are feared sure they would be prefect.

A witcher type your really just playing a ranger/divine champion type very limited magic but good with a sword.
Except that Witch Hunters are a part of Arelith lore and many people have played them over the years? Go outside Cordor and you will see this is represented in the gallows ground of the lowland swamp. Witch Hunters also have quite a nice craftable cloak in the tailoring tradeskill. Etc., etc.

I think you may be crossing the FR setting here with real world knowledge. This is not the Salem Witch Trials. Witch Hunters in game typically focus on those who consort with dangerous entities. Thoramind would generally not be on their list, at least not until he started calling up Balors and marching around with them.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed May 13, 2020 5:58 am

I could see a ressurgence of the browncloaks with hexblades and shadow mages running around these days

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed May 13, 2020 12:57 pm

Red giant wrote.
Except that Witch Hunters are a part of Arelith lore and many people have played them over the years? Go outside Cordor and you will see this is represented in the gallows ground of the lowland swamp. Witch Hunters also have quite a nice craftable cloak in the tailoring tradeskill. Etc., etc.

I think you may be crossing the FR setting here with real world knowledge. This is not the Salem Witch Trials. Witch Hunters in game typically focus on those who consort with dangerous entities. Thoramind would generally not be on their list, at least not until he started calling up Balors and marching around with them.
I think your confusing the question with anything vaguely related to things done in the servers distant past.

He was asking a question.
Something I've just been wondering lately. Arelith has terrifying monsters like undead, fiends and aberrations as well as evil spell casters and classes such as Warlocks, Hexblades and Shadow Mages. It would kind of seem natural that there might be a ranger variant that trained specifically to hunt down and kill such foes.
Not are there items in game to counter outsiders but should there be a class in the forgotten realms tailored to hunting and killing such things.
So my response was no as magic isn't feared and reviled so a witch hunter path doesn't make sense,no reason a ranger should be better at killing mages and clerics than anyone else.
Rangers can already take the monsters as favoured enemies so no need for a separate path.

Also when someone says witch hunter it's doesn't make you think oh Arelith had people that killed evil wizards, you think warhammer or real world.
Now that I've written this down it sounds more like an entirely different class instead of just a variant path. But still, I think something along the concept might suit the game world.
It's a concept you can play anyone can play a vigilante and go around hunting down evil characters or they can play a witcher type and go around killing monsters as per the writ system.

Lord Of The Nine

Post by Lord Of The Nine » Mon May 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Concept already in play and working well :)

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Mon May 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Saying witch hunters wont fit in FR is a kind of weird pull, and also wildly inaccurate. There's a bunch of classes and organizations dedicated to it.

From the lore, of course, there's the Halruaan Magehound, Complete Warrior (the same book that brought us Hexblade) brings the Occult Slayer. Hell, there's a ranger favored enemy option in tabletop that's just 'Favored Enemy: Arcanist,' for that matter. 'Oriental Adventures,' woof, gives us a class literally named Witch Hunter. In theory there's a blurb allowing for Suel Arcanamachs in FR, another 'mage that hunts mages' sort of feel- which fits with the witcher-esque 'monster that hunts monsters' thing.

For a harder lore basis, similar to Magehound, there's the Knights of the Weave, whose purpose is to prevent the abuse of magic. Magic of Faerun, a sourcebook for the setting we're currently in, provides the FR-Exclusive 'Mage-killer' class, for that matter.

Get after it!
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 pm

Amn isn't particularly friendly towards magic users.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue May 19, 2020 7:59 am

Impilturan demon hunter has a bit of a witch hunter vibe if memory serves..

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Tue May 19, 2020 9:29 am

NauVaseline wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:53 pm
Amn isn't particularly friendly towards magic users.
... Unless you pay well! =)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue May 19, 2020 9:33 am

Nice to see the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay class being mentioned.

https://wfrp1e.fandom.com/wiki/Witch-Hunter

I've added a lot of little nods to WHFRP in Arelith, and I adore their class system, but I dont think this is a solid enough basis for a new path or class (possibly a dev would disagree).

I like to think we have got a lot more professional on our approach to custom classes than applying simple trade-offs to an existing one. Trying to come up with enough content and ideas to make Witch Hunter anything more than a cool name would be an incredibly tall order. I'd also be concerned by a class so focused on PvPing other 'evil' ones.

Still, I'd love to see a WHFRP server one day.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am

We need some good-only class love.

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Apothys » Wed May 20, 2020 12:10 pm

Rogue class with all those potions and nifty skills pretty much covers a Witch-Hunter/Witcher.

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed May 20, 2020 2:58 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am
Paladin is top-tier.

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:39 pm

How would this be different from a rogue or ranger played as a witch-hunter (that is, someone leery of mages and looking to kill monsters/evil mages), possibly with a paladin or harper (or even a blackguard) dip?

New classes should have a unique niche to fill.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 am

Many archers can fill in that concept really. Plly/aa/ranger, pally/ranger/monk, ranger/aa/monk and those are just the ones I'd play.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Thu May 21, 2020 9:19 am

Ork wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:58 pm
ReverentBlade wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:03 am
Paladin is top-tier.
Warlock, hexblade, bg, pm, assassin.

Paladin, Harper.

And now, the playable races... *deep breath*
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm