Regular vs. Totem Druids

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Regular vs. Totem Druids

Post by SkipiusEsq » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Just so I am understanding the thread, a pure, level-30 druid in monolithic shape has no way of getting through even the 5/+1 greensteel bracers? It obviously gets worse from there. Seems like there should be someway for this class to deal with this, even if it means a high-level spell (to try and avoid having monks also getting access to it).

SkipiusEsq

Post by SkipiusEsq » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:03 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:59 pm
Alternatives would be just letting us use gloves or weapons, or letting us cast Magic Fang/Greater Magic Fang on ourselves.
I like this idea. It could be limited to those with a majority of levels in druid to avoid monks getting it from scolls/pots.

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:21 pm

SkipiusEsq wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:02 pm
Just so I am understanding the thread, a pure, level-30 druid in monolithic shape has no way of getting through even the 5/+1 greensteel bracers? It obviously gets worse from there. Seems like there should be someway for this class to deal with this, even if it means a high-level spell (to try and avoid having monks also getting access to it).
Monolith shape will bypass whatever DR enhancement goes through the spell you shift while wearing, for as long as the spell lasts. If you shift wearing premo, your fire fists will go through premo. I'm not sure if they have a base Dr pen, though.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm

SkipiusEsq wrote:
Mono shapes and Dragon shape are both fine, it is the Totem animal shape that gets no DR penetration at all.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:45 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm
SkipiusEsq wrote:
Mono shapes and Dragon shape are both fine, it is the Totem animal shape that gets no DR penetration at all.
To clarify:
Elemental shape: got elemental bonus-damage and also pierce DR
Dragon shape: mechanically wields a wizards staff and pierce DR

Totem shape: is unarmed and naked mechancally. No DR-peneration, no enchantable item in their hands, no creatureweapon to take the stoneskin-effect

Regular druids are fine, shapewise. Totem-druids are better off using the same tools as non-totem druids, but they paid the price for totemshape and are therefore entirely worse off

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:11 pm

A creature weapon of sorts. Or the ability to cast greater magic fang on yourself (capping at +5 prolly) would go a long way. Totem is still primarily a defensive shape.

Gwenneth_Corvain

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:35 pm

Jagel wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:11 pm
A creature weapon of sorts. Or the ability to cast greater magic fang on yourself (capping at +5 prolly) would go a long way. Totem is still primarily a defensive shape.
Unfortunately even the defensive nature of totem-shapes is overshadowed by regular shapes.
The reason for that is that totem shapes receive exactly ONE defensive capability - and that is their AC. A level 26+ totem gets +22AC bonus on their naked hide. Sounds great.. only..the mechanical limit to AC boosting is already +20.

In virtually ALL cases being an elemental instead of a totem-animal nets you SOOO MUCH MORE defensive capabilities.
- builtin DR
- immunity to crits
- immunity to elements
- haste
- regeneration

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:46 pm

Also immunity to mind effects and death spells, immunity to knockdown for earth and air elementals, damage shields on the fire elemental, and 50% concealment on the air form..
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon