Sunbeam (and a minor issue)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

fading

Sunbeam (and a minor issue)

Post by fading » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 pm

Sunbeam: Damage capped at 10d6. - Arelith wiki.

May I ask why? It's not really a powerful spell, it's capped at 20d6 already (to undead, it only does 3d6 otherwise) and it's a level 8 spell. Right now it's just sort of useless? Fire storm does 20d6, to everyone, not just undead. It's also a level 8 spell and right now it's just infinitely better.

There's currently 0 incentive to take the sun domain, for instance. I think it's a shame, there are a couple of cool, thematic spells for Lathander worshippers (or Horus-Re), and I don't see the reasoning why they should be made useless. They weren't that powerful to begin with, even if it wasn't nerfed, fire storm would still be preferable since the damage affects everyone.

Am I missing something? Because I genuinely don't see why it was nerfed in such a manner. There are far more powerful spells out there, and ones that basically do the same thing but better, and they're not nerfed.

(Oh, and Risen Sun heretics can be both Lawful Good and Lawful Neutral, the update just mentioned LG. I assume it's the same way in the game, so, maybe it could be fixed? Suppose this isn't the right board to mention, but it seems like such minor thing that I don't want to make a thread about it.)

(Edit: I have checked in the PGCC, and actually it allows for LN apparently, so disregard that, the post in the updates just missed that, I guess.)

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Sunbeam (and a minor issue)

Post by Morgy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:03 pm

Agree this is an awesome spell and the vfx is very cool.. I never see it though, 'cause its crap.