Druids and Golems (and other things)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

SkipiusEsq
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Druids and Golems (and other things)

Post by SkipiusEsq » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 pm

A friend and I were having a discussion on whether a druid would treat a golem similar to the undead, i.e., an abomination to nature. As with so many things I think the simple answer is, "it depends." We have a diverse group on Arelith, some who are heavy loreites and some who have never read a single D&D book or handbook. I would very much love to get various viewpoints on this subject.

Also, I added "other things" because while my primary interest is golems, there are other things that could fall into the category of "unnatural."

Finally, I hope this can be an open discussion, so please don't let this thread turn into a battle of "no, you are wrong!"

Drowboy

Re: Druids and Golems (and other things)

Post by Drowboy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Gonna hazard a 'no, they don't like them,' on this one.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

SkipiusEsq

Post by SkipiusEsq » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 pm

Drowboy wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Gonna hazard a 'no, they don't like them,' on this one.
I've read that and it's actually what prompted the thread. But just because something is "unwilling" is it "unnatural"? Slavery happens all the time. Druids pull elementals from the various planes to fight by their side and those elementals often suffer great harm in the process. Animals are tamed and taken from their instinctual environment to serve a purpose. Could the same be said of golems? Slavery might be evil, but if it yields a good, then do you have a balance?
Last edited by SkipiusEsq on Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm

You -could- argue that the elemental is working as a partner to the druid, i.e willingly being bound to the artificial body

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Undead are a no-no but this seems like it's meant to be vague so characters will argue over it IG. Doubt you'll get a DM to say it's expressly not allowed or anything and it's up to characters opinions and beliefs.

The one thing I'd say is just because druids oppose undead doesn't mean they are inherently "good." A NE druid might believe in survival of the fittest and dominating whoever you can is a law of nature, a LN druid might not care about the concept of free will and think everything has a place in the hierarchy of balance or some other gamespeak gobbelygook.

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:35 pm

Removing something's free will being "against nature" isn't necessarily true either, given the number of species of creatures that use others as hosts or serve as a parasite to take over the creature for its own ends.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:28 am

Azensor wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 pm
You -could- argue that the elemental is working as a partner to the druid, i.e willingly being bound to the artificial body
We've actually done IG rp on this very concept, and there are some FOIG things related to this very topic. Perhaps you could ask in game and consult the Heartwood Grove concerning their take and interest on golems and the difference between an Elemental Summon and a Golem Binding.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 am

I don’t agree that there is. There is nothing IG when you create a golem that has anything, what so ever, to do with an elemental.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Petrifictus

Post by Petrifictus » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:56 am

Also its odd that characters think use of golems is same as slavery, yet summoning creatures to force them to do your will is not.

”Nah, my summon love to come out and fight my battles without asking. You use golem bouncers? That’s evil!”
https://petrifications.deviantart.com/
Gnome Wotan Woodberry - (Shelved)
Goblin Toymaker Karma - (Rolled)
Ogre Karstaag da Main Man - (Active)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:44 am

There is the good/evil discussions and then there are balance/nature discussions.

Some druids will treat any animation as an affront to the natural order of things (tm), some might be more pragmatic