New heads not appearing or being metallic

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Griefmaker

New heads not appearing or being metallic

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 pm

Hey everyone,

I tried searching for this since I know I have heard others talk about it, but could not find anything...likely due to my search-fu failing me.

On occasion, some of the new heads do not load or sometimes are metallic.

For me at least, I tend to see it happen most with the Carth and Atton heads which are #57 and #58 in the human heads of the wiki, which may simply be due to them being some of the more popular ones.

I know yesterday apparently my dude's head (#72 in the head list) was apparently suffering from that quite a bit too. Is there something we can do to make the heads reload? I know I tried relogging as did some of the players who could not see the head, but it did not seem to fix it. Nor, apparently, did switching servers.

Or is it just one of those random things that happens and unless you want to freak people by pretending to be a wannabe headless horseman (which is actually an amusing idea...), you can just slap on a helm/hood and go about your character's business?

Thanks!

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: New heads not appearing or being metallic

Post by Irongron » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:33 pm

I'd like an answer to this too!

Drowboy

Post by Drowboy » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:43 pm

Are you on the most recent version of nwn? I obly have weird head issues if I'm not updated.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:35 pm
I know yesterday apparently my dude's head (#72 in the head list) was apparently suffering from that quite a bit too. Is there something we can do to make the heads reload? I know I tried relogging as did some of the players who could not see the head, but it did not seem to fix it. Nor, apparently, did switching servers.
The issue appears to be a client-side one as far as I can tell. Sometimes, my character's head will disappear for me, while still showing for other player. Restarting the game will fix this. Sometimes, however, the head will disappear for someone else but be fine in my client. The player who cannot see the head will need to restart the game. Note: just relogging does not appear to be sufficient. You must restart the game entirely.

Some other observations:

- Some players seem to have the client-side issue crop up very frequently. For others, it hasn't happened once as far as I've been able to tell.

- It happens only with the new heads, and then only with some of the new heads.

- One of the triggers seems to be transitioning between servers with a helmet equipped and visible or a hood toggled. I've set all my helmets to the null appearance, and my head has not disappeared on my client since doing so.

-Yes, I'm on the most recent version of NWN.

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:01 pm

It also affects some vanilla content, anyway, specifically cloaks and the basic female elven hood.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:09 pm

I am on the most recent version of NWN too. I did not realize that it was a restart the game thing too, I'll try that instead of just relogging.

But thank you for the responses, observations, and all. It is appreciated!

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:57 pm

Out of pure speculation, is it possible its source is similar to the issue of npcs being invisible/untargetable upon spawning, and people have to relog to make them visible?

Tathkar Eisgrim

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 am

It might be heads not appearing AND being metallic -- two separate issues associated with heads?

Heads not appearing -- the no helm / hide helm for that head number is broken? Head status / assets not being applied or saved upon the PC to allow a server transition?

Metallic head -- the head is having a helm colour applied as a skin colour. So that is a colour number outside of its normal range? Maybe a side effect of being able to edit body part colours?

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 pm

-hood [enter] -hood [enter] has fixed it when it's happened to me. next time i see my friend have a shiney metal head or a missing head, i'll send them a tell and see if it fixes it on my end, too

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Metallic head does seem to be different. I've had it happen pre-haks, post-EE.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:55 pm

As an update:

One of the players I regularly play with and constantly complained that my guy had no head has finally had success in seeing my guy's head again.

They reinstalled the most recent NWN:EE update from steam.

Apparently for them, their issue began when arelith updated to .13. Last night they finally tried to use an old stable build from steam, which caused them to see my character's head again. Then they updated NWN:EE to the most recent build and all is still well. In hindsight, I do not believe the reverting to an old update was necessary, but we were trying to debug it and find the issue and since that was when things started working, I figured I would mention it.

I also do not know if that is a fix for chronic issues like that player had where my character NEVER had a head for them, or if that works even for the random glitches/metallic head problems.

But it seemed to work for one, so it may work for others who are having the same problem!