Are there areas/maps no one discovered?

You have questions? We may have answers.
Fallout

Are there areas/maps no one discovered?

Post by Fallout » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:56 am

Question goes to our Dread Devs, are there any areas you have put lots of effort into only to know by all this time no one ever managed to reach? :D :lol:

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Are there areas/maps no one discovered?

Post by Ork » Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm

As an avid seeker/explorer, I can say there are probably some places unexplored. I always love when there's a hidden place to discover. I still am WOWed by my first time discovering a passageway under a certain waterfall on the surface. Zelda taught me well.

Please do more of them! (but, preferably not tied to a skill like search).

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm

Ork wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Zelda taught me well.
Same here! Hit everything, place a bomb everywhere!

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:07 pm

Griefmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:45 pm
Ork wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:04 pm
Zelda taught me well.
Same here! Hit everything, place a bomb everywhere!
Don't attack chickens!

But yeah. I would love to know this too. I love finding new areas and I know there are so many places on the map I haven't been.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:16 pm

I think I would enjoy more puzzles in the game. Current Arelith puzzles are prone to frustrate because you look for that critical thinking but in the end it was something you just missed physically or skillcheck-wise. I spent a lot of time in derro when it first opened trying to organize gems in the order they appeared on the ground at the pedestal. I wish that was the answer- and I wish there were more puzzles that required critical thinking than having a skill check or examining a wall for transitions.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:46 am

I love hidden areas and secrets. I -don't- love unclickable single pixel transitions. They feel cheap. There has to be a better way of doing secretive transitions that ones that you can only use by knowing exactly where they are and WASDing on them. More to do with using your brain than having sharp eyes or being "in the know".

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:45 pm

There's not nearly enough hidden spots in mundane wilderness places. :wink:

I can say this from experience of meticulously prodding every edge of every wilderness area looking for that hidden spot.

I remember Artos writing once that he was always surprised little hidden areas he had built long ago had yet to be discovered... when I read that, I started really looking for hidden spots. I found a couple, but I wish there were more.

I wish there were little shortcuts built into wilderness areas where only characters with the Woodland Stride feat could make use of.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:07 pm

On that note, I'm really looking forward to the big Arelith Forest update.

Fallout

Post by Fallout » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:06 am

The Kriv wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:45 pm
I remember Artos writing once that he was always surprised little hidden areas he had built long ago had yet to be discovered... when I read that, I started really looking for hidden spots. I found a couple, but I wish there were more.
this information got me days ago and is reason i opened this topic, even as it was said maybe 4-5 years ago? :lol:

These areas dependent on strictly knowledge or usage of certain skill-checks? I guess, search, spot and than lore would be needed?

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:19 pm

There exist shadow doors (or there used to be) where if you acessed them, and had high enough certain skill minimum, you could find and access if you knew were to look.

Does this pertain to things like... transitions out therein the mod that are not shadow-doors? small hidden transitions.. like short-cuts, or hidden paths that are accessibly only by individuals with a minimum skill... I don't really know.

The common/obvious things like this are portals or entrance areas that have restrictions by race (Myon, The Hub's Portal, Earthkin Portal between Brog and Burrowhome) or by class (Zhurkwood Grove) or a combination of class and level (Dreaming Tree) -- Although I'm not actively playing Arelith at the moment.. I always wished there were 'back trails' and such through the wilderness areas .. like short cuts within a single area.. or connection points to adjacent/nearby areas only usable by nature classes (such as ranger/druid/barb) with minium level investments... but.. sadly.. .I was never able to confirm such things exist in Arelith --although I do know they exist in other servers i've played... where if you were one of these classes... or if you were WITH one of these classes (in a party) you could access them.. but otherwise they were closed to you.

--talking more about basic map navigation here rather than accessing special remote areas... the equivelent of 'knowing a back trail'
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:49 pm

There are special areas we've made for DM purpose mostly and specific events. You can't reach them without a DM. I've made quite a few of these areas, some of them I put a lot of effort into. Though I am sure they have been used at some point they remain unseen by the majority.

My new Sunken City dungeon I know took a while before people discovered it fully. I like having areas that are difficult to reach, not necessarily by pixel hunting transitions but rather parts of the area is unlocked by other means and opens up new secrets to new areas.