New player PvP question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

pandaglassjaw

New player PvP question

Post by pandaglassjaw » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am

Hey, I'm a fairly new player who has been around for a couple of weeks. I had a question involving PvP I was involved in. Since I'm new to the game, I'm not building a PvP character and was just keeping it simple to enjoy some classic dnd roleplaying. I love the server and have had fun leveling up and interacting with others. I had my first bad experience yesterday, my character is indifferent to the situation but as a player it bothered me. The player did roleplay leading up to it and I don't disagree with the roleplay and chain of events, more questioning why the player would have this character in the first place besides to troll.

*snip*

Nitro

Re: New player PvP question

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:14 am

Not entirely sure what the question is, but it sounds like you've had an unfortunate experience. If you think someone did something nasty to you just to be a douche you can definitely report them by sending a PM to the active DM's (and calling someone an a**hole after killing them is definitely not in the spirit of "be nice").

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:25 am

Welcome to the server.

This murdering greed monster sounds smart.
He grouped with you to get his work (the writ) done , And to see how you fight.
Then at the end he decided to mug you.

Personaly i see nothing wrong with this.
But then again....im that guy who played a pirate who mugged a cripple in a wheelchair so yeah ;p
And i was not there.

Best thing to do is just keep your chin up and if you feel like rules where broken you can make a report to the active DM team here on the forums.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:37 am

Yeah, folks've already said what might be the best approach here, insofar as pinging the DMs if you're concerned on player conduct. I'd say taking someone's items without their OOC say-so sits on the wrong side of 'Be nice.' - But, that's a DM call to make. They have access to more information and can hopefully make a more complete decision.

That sort of casual murder-RP never really sat well with me personally, and struck me as a cheap out to actually developing interesting, ongoing conflict with characters - Particularly where someone's inflicting mechanical penalties and taking items from other characters (if it were up to me, pickpocket would be thrown into the sun). But I understand opinions differ. I'd definitely be irked if I'd been subjected to that.

It sounds as if you've got a healthy attitude to it though, and I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience. If it's any comfort, these things (in my experience) are in the minority, and I've not experienced it first-hand in way too many years here.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 am

If he sent you a tell insulting you after the ic killing then it clearly wasn't ic motivation.
Just report the jerk.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 pm

Step 1. Report to the DM's.

Step 2. Do you know this character's name? Ruin his reputation. Use a paper to write a report of what happened, give a copy of it to the guards of the settlement it happened in, then go post it on the boards in every settlement. Then go withdraw a bunch of gold, go to the town crier, pay him to shout a message in every settlement warning people about this character for the next month or so.

Step 3. Go about your business. To be truthful the DM's and the city guards probably won't do much to help you. But this guy will have a hard time finding people to group with when it becomes known what he did. And a few paladins, bounty hunters, and such will probably take it upon themselves to gank him in PVP every time they see him.

I PVP a lot. This was not good spirited PVP. It was not telling any kind of fun story for everyone involved. It could barely be considered RP since he was mostly abusing game mechanics to bully a new player and take his things. This guy was just being a jerk which breaks the "Be nice" rule. I don't want to hear about playing a character or any of that. There are plenty of great villains in Arelith's history with multiple kudos threads dedicated to them that never did anything like this. Follow the three steps above and if any of my PVP build characters catch wind of what happened they'll be sure and teach this guy a lesson.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm

I agree with the others. Having an evil character turn on you and snatch the loot out of your hands when you're weak and tired *can* be a fun RP experience for both parties if done right. If done poorly, you might just have to chalk it up to a rare negative experience. But if the PLAYER (not the character) was sending you insulting OOC tells/being rude to you outside the RP confines of the game world, that isn't acceptable. I would recommend reporting the player to the DMs if that's the case.

Also: screenshots are your friend, especially when making a report to DMs!

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Being thematically evil in a believable IC way can be cool.

Being nasty or disingenuous on an OOC level however is not.

As said above. Please report it if you feel this was the latter. Be nice is a rule for a reason.

Also, welcome to Arelith! You'll find such instances are the exception rather than the rule. If you check the player portal/need any help. Look for people with the "open for tells/questions" tag if you're stuck/unsure about things.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:16 pm

Aradin wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:22 pm
I agree with the others. Having an evil character turn on you and snatch the loot out of your hands when you're weak and tired *can* be a fun RP experience for both parties if done right.
Talking about evil:

If you really want to take this up a notch, make it clear throughout the adventure you're being shifty. Have a few interactions where they're questioning "are they even my ally"? All this leading up to the grand heist at the end will be much more satisfying that some random party member demand all the gold at the end.

Barkoneus

Post by Barkoneus » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:22 pm

NPC Logger Number 2 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:30 pm
Step 2. Do you know this character's name? Ruin his reputation. Use a paper to write a report of what happened, give a copy of it to the guards of the settlement it happened in, then go post it on the boards in every settlement. Then go withdraw a bunch of gold, go to the town crier, pay him to shout a message in every settlement warning people about this character for the next month or so.

Step 3. Go about your business. To be truthful the DM's and the city guards probably won't do much to help you. But this guy will have a hard time finding people to group with when it becomes known what he did. And a few paladins, bounty hunters, and such will probably take it upon themselves to gank him in PVP every time they see him.
I really like this suggestion! Basically a way to take a not-fun experience and potentially turn it into a fun one. I think if nothing else you could meet some new characters and have some fun interactions during the process of warning people about the other character.

NPC Logger Number 2

Post by NPC Logger Number 2 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Exactly. If someone wants to play a character who is an evil backstabbing thieving jerkbag that is fine. But there's a lot of paladins, bounty hunters, town guards, vigilantes, and other meddlesome do-gooders who would be very interested in meeting them.
“The punishing of wits enhances their authority.”
Francis Bacon

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 pm

I'd keep in mind DMs aren't monitoring every single action and the game is free to play and open to everyone so when players have freedom you're going to see a few of them abuse it. This happens a lot more at lower levels as people here to just muck around and troll don't tend to want to put hundreds of hours into leveling. I'd report it if you're over third level but if you're both brand new and in the starting areas I'd personally just shrug it off as you'll probably never see them again.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:01 am

These sort of concerns are best raised with DMs rather than shared on the forum. DMs will help mediate if bad things happen!

DM Rex

Post by DM Rex » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:51 am

It can come as quite a shock when players first encounter PVP, as it does take many forms.

However to clarify we do not share event specific information here publicly in the forums, but rather all incidents need to be reported via private PM to the Active DM Team group so that we might evaluate it and act on it as needed.