Shops attached to quarter ownership

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

JubJub

Shops attached to quarter ownership

Post by JubJub » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:50 am

Under reminders it says "1 permanent shop (if that shop has a quarter attached to it, then that counts as your 1 quarter & 1 shop and you may not own an additional quarter or shop!)". But what if the shop is already owned by someone when you purchase a place? Since one doesn't need to have access to the sign to set prices or refresh a shop it would be hard to evict them from the shop.

mjones3

Re: Shops attached to quarter ownership

Post by mjones3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:14 am

Not all shops just outside of quarters are shared ownership with the quarter. Think of the shops in cordors outskirts near the mill and farm area. When you buy the quarter there you get the shop within as well.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:47 am

I once owned the place across from the social club (one with speedy in it). When I purchased the place the shop there was owned by someone else. So I owned the building but not the shop. The ownership board for the shop is behind a locked door. Do i have to get the shop from the person, can I own another shop because they own the one in the building? Normally you would own both, but there are occasions when that's not the case. So with this new ruling how does it affect things in a situation like this? Since as the building owner you have no power to evict a shop owner and they don't need access to the sign to maintain the shop.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:19 am

That's definitely a question for DM's.

But its probably safe to say that if you control the locked door that's required to get past for the shop, and prevent others from accessing the shops options and from working the shop properly, it will count as your ownership.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 am

I've definitely had another character own a shop contained inside my character's quarter just for convenience. If you own the building but not the shop, presumably it's because you've just bought the building and need to wait for the shop to expire, you've given it to another character for them to run, or someone's being naughty and not giving the shop up despite you owning the building - fine; fine; not nice (seek a DM for that last one).

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Gnome Mom

Post by Gnome Mom » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:39 am

Kuma wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 am
I've definitely had another character own a shop contained inside my character's quarter just for convenience. If you own the building but not the shop, presumably it's because you've just bought the building and need to wait for the shop to expire, you've given it to another character for them to run, or someone's being naughty and not giving the shop up despite you owning the building - fine; fine; not nice (seek a DM for that last one).
I've sought a DM for the last one in the past.. someone owned the shop in a quarter I bought and wouldn't release it.. and I was told if they want to keep the shop without accessing the controls they can do that. I think the DM just wanted us to RP it out instead of making a decision which is understandable but it didn't happen.

I would love to hear whether DMs will actually evict someone from a shop as this is a common thing that happens in the Tungsten Turret.. someone buys a shop when a quarter is open but won't give it up when the quarter is bought.
Last edited by Gnome Mom on Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 am

kill them

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:49 am

This is a bit of an odd situation. I'm going to discuss it with the team. My current thought (and note I may be talked out of it yet!) is that so long as the home owner has made some effort to contact the shop owner first- then after a reasonable period (say one week?) it's fair for the shop to be released.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:11 pm

Kuma wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:40 am
kill them
Violence is always an option.
what would fred rogers do?

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Apothys » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:16 pm

I've seen a apartment today that has two shops linked to it (boards behind locked doors). Yet you cannot see who owns them.

The owner of the apartment 'I assume' has leased one of the shops and there is a sign saying, speak to owner to lease the other.

That same owner of the apartment then has another shop in a more lucrative position not linked to the Apartment... I think my question is, are you allowed to lease your quarter shops and take another even if one of your two quarter shops is empty?

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:27 pm

Apothys wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:16 pm
I've seen a apartment today that has two shops linked to it (boards behind locked doors). Yet you cannot see who owns them.

The owner of the apartment 'I assume' has leased one of the shops and there is a sign saying, speak to owner to lease the other.

That same owner of the apartment then has another shop in a more lucrative position not linked to the Apartment... I think my question is, are you allowed to lease your quarter shops and take another even if one of your two quarter shops is empty?
Honestly I'm pretty against this. I can sort of see an argument for leasing it to another maybe - but letting it lie fallow just because you want a shop in a better location seems just wrong to me. Honestly that's the chief reason for the above ruling. Why if you own a home with a shop attatched you should (where possible) own said shop too.

(Note that I say 'where possible' we are of course sympathetic to players who cannot outst current shop owners.)
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Drak
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Drak » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Also note that it can lead to headaches down the road. Since you are able to refresh your shop from the outside and never have to touch your sign, the person renting the shop tied to your house can be a jerk and just never let it go. At least, thats how the houses in the Turret work iirc.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Drak wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:45 pm
Also note that it can lead to headaches down the road. Since you are able to refresh your shop from the outside and never have to touch your sign, the person renting the shop tied to your house can be a jerk and just never let it go. At least, thats how the houses in the Turret work iirc.
That's exactly the issue we're discussing. And as I said - in such circumstances I'd say - try to get in contact with the pc to persuade them to release the shop, and give it a week. If the shop still belongs to them after that... then contact the DM staff. We'll look into the matter and release it into your ownership.
This too shall pass.