Zoo Spells + Spell Focus: Transmutation + Empower?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

daimon_d_heart

Zoo Spells + Spell Focus: Transmutation + Empower?

Post by daimon_d_heart » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 am

I just want to confirm how this buff would be calculated with the spell focus feats and empower. Going by the description in the wiki, Greater changes the bonus to 1d4+2 and Epic changes it to 1d4+3. I'm assuming empowering the zoo spell can reap further benefits from this. For example:

Base: (1d4+1)*1.5 = 3 to 7
Greater: (1d4+2)*1.5 = 4 to 9
Epic: (1d4+3)*1.5 = 6 to 10

Is this right?

mjones3

Re: Zoo Spells + Spell Focus: Transmutation + Empower?

Post by mjones3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:23 am

I think the bonus only applies to the base castings of the spell. Metamagic doesn't stack when it comes to reaching the total like the spells usually do.
Animal/Zoo Spells (Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Eagle's Splendor, Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom) now stack across multiple castings to a maximum of +5 when cast without metamagic feats. These spells are also all available to Druids.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:06 pm

I think the empowered roll happens before the transmutation bonus takes affect. So at epic it should be (1d4+1)*1.5 + 2 = 5 to 9.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

daimon_d_heart

Post by daimon_d_heart » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:26 pm

Seems like no one else has tried it yet. Well, only one way to find out. I'll post once I get to that point with my character.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:35 pm

daimon_d_heart wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:26 pm
Seems like no one else has tried it yet. Well, only one way to find out. I'll post once I get to that point with my character.
You can also test it on the PGCC test server. But Astral is correct on how it is supposed to work.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:46 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:06 pm
I think the empowered roll happens before the transmutation bonus takes affect. So at epic it should be (1d4+1)*1.5 + 2 = 5 to 9.
This is correct.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Halibutthead

Post by Halibutthead » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:16 pm

Can confirm. 5-9 seems to be the range on my epic transmuter's empowered zoo buffs

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am

daimon_d_heart wrote:
I tried this, and can confirm it works as stated in the Wiki: Empowered zoo spells do *not* stack with themselves towards the spell cap, nor do they stack with non-empowered versions of the spell.

E.g If you cast regular Cat's Grace for 2 dex, then follow it up with an empowered Cat's Grace, you will *NOT* get the new value added to the previous 2, it will just replace it. This also works vice versa, if you try to top an empowered zoo spell with a non-empowered, you'll end up with only the non-empowered version buff.

This is 100% tried and tested, so I would advise against taking empower spell if you intend to use it with zoo spells.

Edit: This has been fixed, ignore this post!
Last edited by Nurel on Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daimon_d_heart

Post by daimon_d_heart » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Nurel wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:14 am
daimon_d_heart wrote:
I tried this, and can confirm it works as stated in the Wiki: Empowered zoo spells do *not* stack with themselves towards the spell cap, nor do they stack with non-empowered versions of the spell.

E.g If you cast regular Cat's Grace for 2 dex, then follow it up with an empowered Cat's Grace, you will *NOT* get the new value added to the previous 2, it will just replace it. This also works vice versa, if you try to top an empowered zoo spell with a non-empowered, you'll end up with only the non-empowered version buff.

This is 100% tried and tested, so I would advise against taking empower spell if you intend to use it with zoo spells.
Sorry but that's not correct. I went ahead and got empowered as well as regular and greater spell focus transmutation. Casting the empowered version multiple times does allow me to stack to a maximum of 8 currently. Empowered metamagic only affects the 1d4. I assume 9 would be possible after getting epic spell focus transmutation.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:23 pm

Oh, it must have been fixed then. It was not so a few months ago when I tested it. I'll edit the post, ty!