Multiple Spell Component Pouches

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

andthenthatwasthat

Multiple Spell Component Pouches

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm

How does having multiple Spell Component Pouches work? How does the script chose which charge to decrease? Will it ensure it does not destroy a pouch if there are changes left in other pouches?

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Multiple Spell Component Pouches

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:29 pm

When you cast a spell that requires components, the script will loop through your inventory, starting at the bottom-left corner of your first tab and moving row by row upwards. When it identifies components or a component pouch with sufficient charges, it will remove the current required number of components from that first quaifying object. If it still needs more components after exhausting the first object, it will continue its search pattern through the inventory for the next qualifying object.

Done.

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:57 am

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:29 pm
If it still needs more components after exhausting the first object, it will continue its search pattern through the inventory for the next qualifying object.
Does that mean that it is possible that some pouches could get destroyed this way (if they run out of charges), although there are other pouches that are filled with components?

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:13 am

Looks like it, yes. Having another pouch is good if you lose track of charges in the first pouch, so you have a backup.

Done.

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 am

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:13 am
Looks like it, yes. Having another pouch is good if you lose track of charges in the first pouch, so you have a backup.
Thanks so much! I wonder how likely it is to "run out" of a fully charged pouch during a single battle. Probably only a problem for True Flames at the moment.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 am

andthenthatwasthat wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 am

Thanks so much! I wonder how likely it is to "run out" of a fully charged pouch during a single battle. Probably only a problem for True Flames at the moment.
This is less of a problem than you might think- a vast majority of a TF's bread and butter are maximized and empowered spells, as several builds for the class include the possibility for both auto-quicken 3 (and quickened spells/haste pots before you get that) and hellball.

I carry two pouches on my epic true flame, and I usually don't even make a worry-worthy dent in the first pouch unless I'm intentionally showing off. I'd recommend two pouches with a stack of 10 or so unabsorbed spell components beside them as basically safe for anything you could conceivably do, across multiple play sessions, other than hours of fighting in an arena where death isn't death.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:18 pm

I have been using 24 spell component pouches and didn't notice any pattern for this so far - the charges appear to be subtracted from a random pouch chosen from a set of 3 randomly selected pouches before depleting one of them and moving over to another set of 3.

The position of pouches within the inventory tab doesn't seem to play any role in this, but that is just me presenting anecdotal evidence

Edit: spell component pouches that were added more recently to the inventory appear to be more likely have their charges subtracted before the older ones.

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Likewise, I carry eight pouches and it definitely does not start at one corner or another. Usually I have to hunt through them to find which pouch the components were used from

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:54 am

It's definitely random. I keep 3 in a vertical row, sometimes the top one is used 4 times in a row, sometimes it alternates randomly between them, there doesn't seem to be any identifiable pattern at all.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:59 pm

Holy cow is there something I'm missing because I only ever have just two pouches. Am I reading it right that people are carrying half a dozen, of the 50 charge pouches, or more?

Spells seem to alternate between the two and I've never lost one.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:00 pm

Then maybe it's random. Whatever, it's the caprice of the NwN gods, this is a vanilla function we're talking about and I don't exactly have the source code. Just make the sign of the cross and pray for fortune before going on a casting binge I guess!

Done.

Thalion

Post by Thalion » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:03 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:01 am
andthenthatwasthat wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:26 am

This is less of a problem than you might think- a vast majority of a TF's bread and butter are maximized and empowered spells, as several builds for the class include the possibility for both auto-quicken 3 (and quickened spells/haste pots before you get that) and hellball.

I carry two pouches on my epic true flame, and I usually don't even make a worry-worthy dent in the first pouch unless I'm intentionally showing off. I'd recommend two pouches with a stack of 10 or so unabsorbed spell components beside them as basically safe for anything you could conceivably do, across multiple play sessions, other than hours of fighting in an arena where death isn't death.
i can confirm, as an avid lover of the TF, that i rarely use components in 'most' scenarios. HOWEVER there are times when ill burn 80 charges in a single run, for RP events or such especially when needing so grab things with big green fists. wich is why i carry around 4 stacks of spell components

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:09 am

I burned through components quickest on a shadow mage. They don't have empowered and maxi'ed missiles and tend to use the high level slots for high level spells, or at least I did.

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:

Wait a second... You mean if I empower or maximize a spell, and that raises it to a level that would usually use a spell component, it does not? Only spells naturally of that level do? Am I understanding this correctly?

Thalion

Post by Thalion » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:56 am

KeldonDonovans wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:

Wait a second... You mean if I empower or maximize a spell, and that raises it to a level that would usually use a spell component, it does not? Only spells naturally of that level do? Am I understanding this correctly?
yes.

to say it clearly, the BASE SPELL is what is used to determine component/piety cost.

so my TF can spam maximized igms (requiring 9th circle slots) and not spend a single component

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 am

Thalion wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:56 am
KeldonDonovans wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:53 am
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:

yes.

to say it clearly, the BASE SPELL is what is used to determine component/piety cost.

so my TF can spam maximized igms (requiring 9th circle slots) and not spend a single component
Yep, which is why I made the comment about me showing off. Maximized/empowered firebrand, chain lightning, ice storm, and IGMS cover four different damage types (and two of them ignore evasion), making at least one of them a free, suitable option in nearly every single dungeon/wilderness/planar crawl. Bigby's Forceful hand on a full evocation caster can hit DC's upwards of 35 which is usable in plenty of dungeons, including against some dragons, although not often in 'properly geared' PvP.

Call me cheap, but every time I use 5 spell component charges in a dungeon, I'm thinking my share of loot just got 200 gold smaller- restraint is the word of the(every) day on my TF. If I'm using components it's because I think someone might die if I don't, or I've decided gold is no object regarding my current objective. The latter rarely happens.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Dachlatte

Post by Dachlatte » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 am

Unlimited spells at no costs?

Base spells using components, more powerful versions do not?

I had in mind that there were only a few of Mystra's chosen in the FR setting. And I don't remember that one (or maybe hundreds) are living on an Island called Arelith. :)

Thalion

Post by Thalion » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:10 am

Dachlatte wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 am
Unlimited spells at no costs?

Base spells using components, more powerful versions do not?

I had in mind that there were only a few of Mystra's chosen in the FR setting. And I don't remember that one (or maybe hundreds) are living on an Island called Arelith. :)
to clarify, if the base spell does not use components, the metamagic for it wont either, but if the base spell does require components, then the metamagic will waswell