Dweomercrafting/Runes

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

KeldonDonovans

Dweomercrafting/Runes

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:45 am

Hey guys, I was gone for a while, and came back to Dweomercrafting/Runes/Runic Items and such, and have been trying to figure out how exactly they work. I went to the wiki, and know the basics of Dweomercrafting, but I'm not really sure how it ties in with Runes and Runic Items. I ~think~ the Runic items are the ones with a colored name, but I'm missing the whole "language" identifying thing, and not really sure how these random runes are supposed to be applied? Any and all help here would be appreciated.

AstralUniverse

Re: Dweomercrafting/Runes

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:28 am

So what a rune does is basically add +% to your next dwemocrafting attempt (the % is based on the dwemocrafter's tier at 33%, 66% and 100% bonus to the next enchantment). a rune can be applied in not just common but other languages as well. Say, you are selling something powerful and you dont want anyone to have easy times working on it so switch to a language other than common (celestial for example, if you dont want BBEG to have easy times find a dwemocrafter for it).

Runic items are marked as runic in their description in color, yes. It takes a dwemocrafter that knows the language of the rune to benefit from the +% bonus it gives on the next enchantment.

To apply a rune, simply use it on an item of it's category (woven for cloth/silk/leather, bejeweled for jewlary and helmets, forged for armors/shields/helmets, etc etc) and then do it again to confirm and it will also tell you which language it will be using depending on the language you're on. This will add this description text that the item has a [language] rune. Now a speaker of that language who has dwemocrafting tiers will get the bonus. Items that are already crafted with runic properties, or found in loot already runic can then be runed a second time by a character. After an item is runed once by a PC, it cannot be runed again.

The strength of the rune decides how powerful of an item can soak that rune. Items with 2 properties generally only require a lesser rune, while an item with 4 different properties (note that +2 to something counts as 1 property) will generally require a masterwork rune. Some craftable items have costume runic 'values'.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:28 am
So what a rune does is basically add +% to your next dwemocrafting attempt (the % is based on the dwemocrafter's tier at 33%, 66% and 100% bonus to the next enchantment). a rune can be applied in not just common but other languages as well. Say, you are selling something powerful and you dont want anyone to have easy times working on it so switch to a language other than common (celestial for example, if you dont want BBEG to have easy times find a dwemocrafter for it).

Runic items are marked as runic in their description in color, yes. It takes a dwemocrafter that knows the language of the rune to benefit from the +% bonus it gives on the next enchantment.

To apply a rune, simply use it on an item of it's category (woven for cloth/silk/leather, bejeweled for jewlary and helmets, forged for armors/shields/helmets, etc etc) and then do it again to confirm and it will also tell you which language it will be using depending on the language you're on. This will add this description text that the item has a [language] rune. Now a speaker of that language who has dwemocrafting tiers will get the bonus. Items that are already crafted with runic properties, or found in loot already runic can then be runed a second time by a character. After an item is runed once by a PC, it cannot be runed again.

The strength of the rune decides how powerful of an item can soak that rune. Items with 2 properties generally only require a lesser rune, while an item with 4 different properties (note that +2 to something counts as 1 property) will generally require a masterwork rune. Some craftable items have costume runic 'values'.
Alright, so making sure I understand, I've turned this into a numbered list, that way in case I'm wrong you can just say "#3 is wrong" or whatever number it is I am wrong on.

1.) Colored Gear found in the loot matrix is runic.
1.A) The language of that rune is randomly generated
1.B) If someone tries to enchant that item in a basin, and knows the language the rune is in, they get a bonus

2.) If you "use" a rune on a fitting item, that item becomes runic.
2.A) This changes the color of the item name, making it easier to tell it is runic.
2.B) This is guaranteed success.
2.C) This does not take a basin.
2.D) The language of the rune is whatever language you are currently speaking.
2.E) Anyone who tries to enchant said runic item, so long as they speak that language, will get a bonus to their success rate.

3.) You can use a rune on an item that was generated as runic by the loot matrix.
3.A) This will make the item runic x2
3.B) This further increases the benefit of being runic, so long as the enchanter speaks -both- runic languages
3.C) An Enchanter who speaks only one of the languages will benefit from only one of the runes.

And some assumptions I am making based on extrapolating from your response:

4.) Runes are not used up upon enchanting. So if you make a plain ring Runic, you can keep adding to it without using up the rune.

5.) Assuming you know the language, the benefit increases based on what tier you are in, as per the wiki:
5.A) Tier 1 gets a 33% bonus
5.B) Tier 2 gets a 66% bonus
5.C) Tier 3 gets a 100% bonus
5.D) Presumably, before you meet the requirements for Tier 1, you get no bonus.

6.) Regardless of that bonus, the enchantment odds will be between 5% and 95%

7.) The tier adds to the base percentage, so if something was a 50% enchantment chance, and you, a tier 1 enchanter, toss a rune on it, you'll have a new enchantment chance of:
7.A) 66.5%
7.B) 88%

I think that wraps it up? Thanks for any and all help.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:05 pm

#4 is incorrect. If there is a runic property on an item, the next enchant uses up that rune.

I'd love to confirm or deny the rest but even knowing the system, reading and converting what you typed makes my brain fuzzy, lol.

I will add though that you can not rune just any and all items. If the item is too powerful it can not take a rune. There is an Assayer's Lens that is craftable. This item can be used on the item that you want to rune, and tell you not only if it is possible but which type and strength rune you need for it.

Hope this helps, sorry for the comprehension confusion.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:13 pm

KeldonDonovans wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:32 pm
2.D) The language of the rune is whatever language you are currently speaking.
Not all languages can be applied to runes but yes, it will attempt the one you are speaking or tell you it cannot be done in that language.
KeldonDonovans wrote:
3.) You can use a rune on an item that was generated as runic by the loot matrix.
3.A) This will make the item runic x2
3.B) This further increases the benefit of being runic, so long as the enchanter speaks -both- runic languages
3.C) An Enchanter who speaks only one of the languages will benefit from only one of the runes.
An item cannot be runic x2. You must consume the first rune first.
KeldonDonovans wrote:
4.) Runes are not used up upon enchanting. So if you make a plain ring Runic, you can keep adding to it without using up the rune.
Runes are used upon enchanting, bonus or not. Stacking extra properties after applying the rune without consuming it, is impossible and for a good reason.
KeldonDonovans wrote:
6.) Regardless of that bonus, the enchantment odds will be between 5% and 95%
Its actually up to solid 100% and there's no failure chance at all in that case. This means that tier 3 dwemocrafting guarantees success on any rune on any item.
KeldonDonovans wrote:
7.) The tier adds to the base percentage, so if something was a 50% enchantment chance, and you, a tier 1 enchanter, toss a rune on it, you'll have a new enchantment chance of:
7.A) 66.5%
7.B) 88%
If the base roll before the rune had 50%, then with a rune it will be:
tier 1: 50 + 33 = 83%
tier 2: 50 + 66 = 100%
tier 3: always 100%.

I think that's all.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

KeldonDonovans

Post by KeldonDonovans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:33 pm

Aha! That makes a lot more sense. Thanks so much!