Paladin Deities

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Paladin Deities

Post by Quidix » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:38 am

Can a paladin worship Gond, Kossuth or Oghma? (neutral gods, but accepts worshippers from all alignments, and is listed under: http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Category:Dei ... awful_Good)

AstralUniverse

Re: Paladin Deities

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 am

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=15506
check this thread.

The list of gods who have paladins is limited, and not only LG gods in some cases (like Corellon).
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:48 am

I might be wrong (and I'd love to be corrected if so), but paladins do not need to be a part of an order, and are allowed other deities beyond the list of orders.

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm

Correct, that list is relevant only for people looking to play members or specific cannon paladin orders, or wanting to stick to PnP Multiclass restrictions that are irrelevant on Arelith.

According to the FRCS Paladins of Faerun MUST follow a god that is LG, LN or NG, with Sune being the only exception. Arelith has added Corellon Larethian and Selune to that list. That said the Wiki states opnly tahtthe god must allow LG worship, which means that the Wiki includes Oberon as an exception that permits Paladins (NG god that does not grant spells to LG)

So, in conclusion... in PnP nooooo? Kossuths entry in F&P makes no mention of Paladins, and I would expect it to if he had them.
On Arelith? Iunno... make one and see if the abilities and spells work? Technically by the Wikis rules, yes they are permitted. Weather the scripts work for it? I can't say.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Hinty wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:02 pm
Arelith has added Corellon Larethian
Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Corellon actually has a lawful good paladin order which the name really escapes me right now. Other elves sometimes dont like them or misunderstand them, due to Corellon's chaotic nature. That's not FR based? All arelith made up then?

It is also new to me that paladins can become ones of any goodly or natural god. I've never heard of that. I thought only a very limited number of gods 'call' paladins to their service and that these gods are the ones who have paladin orders, simply because gods without paladin orders are gods who dont call upon paladins to their service to begin with.

Glad to be educated here.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:31 pm

Yeah not sure about the Corellon one, I have no recollection of encountering reference to one in FR lore, but Paladins and Elves are both areas where my FR lore is a little weaker. I do know that Arelith is not the first server I have encountered the Paladin of Corellon being an option even before 4e or 5e lifted alignment restrictions. My suspicion is that there may be Corellon orders in other settings that inspired people to "house rule" them into FR, but I would not be surprised to find one in FR.

I always assumed it was a way to let people play elven paladins without having to resort to worshiping human gods, but then you can have paladins of Mielikki and Mystra and they are often considered part of the Seldarine, and Arelith reinstated Naralis Analor, an AD&D member of the Seldarine who is NG, so there are options inside the Seldarine.

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:19 pm

Do you have a concept you really really want to play? If it's mechanically allowed (which it seems to be, as they're all on the "LG worshippers" page), there is no specific rule against it and the lore is vague or absent I'd probably just go for it myself. Worst that could happen is you get told by a DM to change your deity in which case you could work it out to worship a LG deity and also aspect Oghma or Gond (like, a paladin of Mystra could also conceivably support Oghma without specifically being a "paladin of") but I have the feeling if your RP is solid they'll let you be. If I was a DM I'd allow a Gond Paladin just to see what you came up with.

If you want to play it safe, aspect it out from the start. Or find a middle ground like Millil for Deneir for Oghma.

mjones3

Post by mjones3 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 am

Added a small update to the wiki to make this easier to spot as I didn't see it myself. The exceptions are also listed on the paladin page. Hope this helps.

http://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Deity#Notable_exceptions

Hinty

Post by Hinty » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Gond and Oghma are tricky, while they are open enough that I would have little issue with an LG cleric, simply an LG guy who deeply respects craftsmanship or knowledge respectively, their dogmas are a little lacking in paladiny inspiration. Oghmas obsession with Truth is certainly paladiny, but you might find his ideas that ALL knowledge is important and must be preserved a little tricky to reconcile if you come across a nasty necromantic ritual of mass soul enslavement or some such.

Kossuth is a strange one, he is TN, but his church is very much LN, and his dogma, well frankly it leans not insignificantly towards LE. The whole "Purity and flame, burn the heretic" line draws the attention of many a "smite them all and let the gods sort them out" paladin players, but a Paladin that follows a deity that declares that the most important goal in life is the attainment of power, and the strong deserve to rule the weak, the weak deserve to be ruled because they didn't strive hard enough to become strong... well... doesn't sit right with me.

I used to play PnP with a group that heavily favoured chaotic and evil characters, as an exercise in branching out, I DMed a game in which everyone was forced to play Paladins. For that I made a few NPC Paladins that tested the limits of what you can do in the hopes of helping to inspire them to think outside the box, one was a Paladin of Gond, but I found him bland and flavourless without a dogma to help guide him.