Rules on settlement raids

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Rules on settlement raids

Post by Arienette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:55 am

Is this the appropriate place to ask for a clarification regarding rules on settlement raids?

msterswrdsmn

Re: Rules on settlement raids

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:13 am

Yep! What sort of questions do you have?

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:29 am

Indeed. This is the right place. What questions do you have?

Also, the rules are in there because if a larger group of people are attacking a settlement or it denizen, DMs need to be present to activate the NPC's, who would realistically take arms and respond to the threat of an army on your footsteps.

If you are in a group of max 5, use stealth/invisibility/trickery and immediatly begin your retreat when spotted, acknowledgeing IC that "oh no, reinforcements are coming! Quickly, we must leave before we have the entire city on our head!" you might get away with it.

But shoot your actual question.

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:46 pm

Never mind, I received DM clarification. I'd share the clarification with the group but I'm not sure if that's allowed or not.

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:02 pm

This is a public post so no problem sharing, but it basically answers the question I was going to ask. This happened while I was away from Aerlith for a while and I didnt know about it. I am still confused about WHY the rule change was made, but I do understand the rule.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21634#p218169

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:10 pm

The reason for the change is this.

Bob and Joe Baneites visit Brog to do some shopping with their five friends, who are not Banites - but who have been out adventuring them in the Spires.

A Brogendenstein Dwarf says 'oye, you're banites you can't come in here!' Now Joe and Bob dissagree with this, and refuse to leave. A fight breaks out. And because their five friends were there (who were not Banites, but who generally get on with them) they join in the fight.

Suddenly two guys entering a settlment becomes a 'RAID'

In fact practicaly any enterence to a settlment, where someone doesn't approve of, becomes - or has the potential to become - a 'raid.'

The rule got weaponized basicaly, and stilted rp badly, which isn't what anyone wants.

We still very strongly advised that if you're marching in a large group with the expectation that large pvp will happen, you try and get DMs oversite - especialy in a civilised area.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:04 pm

I understand the reasoning regarding widening the rule for the 2 Banites and a couple other buddies scenario. But I’m not sure why it is busted WIDE open up to also allow for 10-20 fully warded PvP monster race squads to run through settlement zones. With just a suggestion of notifying DMs.

I’m not necessarily against the rule change. But I know for a fact lots of players missed this rule change. I will help spread the word so that people can stop being shocked and confused when this happens.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Arienette wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:04 pm
I understand the reasoning regarding widening the rule for the 2 Banites and a couple other buddies scenario. But I’m not sure why it is busted WIDE open up to also allow for 10-20 fully warded PvP monster race squads to run through settlement zones. With just a suggestion of notifying DMs.

I’m not necessarily against the rule change. But I know for a fact lots of players missed this rule change. I will help spread the word so that people can stop being shocked and confused when this happens.
Well so far since this introduction eight months ago we have not, to my knowledge, had a case of 10-20 warded pvp monster race squads running through any settlment that wasn't under DM supervision. This is because the monsterious rules policy say that monsters -shouldn't- be openingly entering settlments. So I'm pretty sure that the player base is able to use it's common sense when utalizing this rule.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)