Certain creatures invisible?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

RamblerTeo

Certain creatures invisible?

Post by RamblerTeo » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:30 pm

Hey there, I've an ongoing issue that has been bothering me for awhile.
There are certain enemies that are invisible for me, such as gibberlings in the Bramble Woods, the ogrelings in the Arelith Forest and the cobras near Wharftown.
I don't even get the red glow when I press tab and I can't attack them.
I tried verifying the game files on GOG, but it didn't fix the issue. Any clue what might be causing this?

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Certain creatures invisible?

Post by grip » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:37 pm

I don't know the reason, but re-logging will make them visible to you.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:41 pm

Happens to slithering trackers a LOT.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 am

Yeah, this happens on occasion. A real pain if you're soloing. The only way to make them visible is to relog or leave the area.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:06 am

One way of dealing with them is to back away and force them to trigger an AoP; that'll auto-place your character into combat mode with them.

RamblerTeo

Post by RamblerTeo » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:45 am

Alright, thanks.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Sometimes creatures can become totally invisible because of the state of the server/internet. Loss of data can render them this way (as opposed to being invisible by a game mechanic like invisibility spell). It can happen during heavy traffic on the server, though not necessarily only because of number of players.

When this is the case, I'm afraid there is little one can do other than re log to get them visible again.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Actually, this is entirely a local issue. A creature that is invisible to one player is visible to others.

The local client renders creatures by mapping an ID returned by the server to a config file on your local install, and then to a set of image files also on your local install. When this problem occurs, something is going wrong with that rendering process. I'm not sure what causes it, but it's not something we can fix with server side changes.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:44 pm

I thought it was a problem with model localization, I recall that when I cast missile spells(IGMS, firebrand, etc), they'd go off screen as if the target was off map.
:)

Silent Handshake

Post by Silent Handshake » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:51 am

IT IS worth noting that if you use any overides or hacks to make your creatures look cooler or better in any way then this will happen more often than it will without any of the overrides and/or hacks

it happened many times for me before i removed all hacks and overrides now it happens around not at all. thanks to mithreas whom likely do not remember our conversation two years back (with reason) but we did figure it was the creature hacks/overrides that WAS the problem. (at least in my case it was the problem)