Sorcerer Palemaster

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tyrantos

Sorcerer Palemaster

Post by Tyrantos » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:42 pm

So. With regards of the current update.. How would one make Sorcerer/palemaster (Maybe blackguard?) that aint that horribad, to get out everything needed to be a true necromancer?

Scurvy Cur

Re: Sorcerer Palemaster

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

By making it a wizard instead.

All of the undead updates and whatever changes PM has had have not fixed the central issue that PM/sorc has: PM gives you an improvement in spells per day, but not spells known on a sorc, which is relatively crippling.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:52 pm

That is exactly what I thought as well, which is why I asked. So its almost impossible to make a "Viable" sorcerer/palemaster build so to speak?

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Hate t'say it mate, but firstly; yes. The spells you loose by snagging both undead summoning spells are a nightmare.
Tyrantos wrote:True necromancer?
Second, you say this. I'll assume you mean the PnP PrC of its name? You'd need to pick up either 15 Palemaster (15th at level 30) or 21 Sorc in order to pull it off for Greater Mummy Dust, and to mimic the PnP PRC in question, you'd need some source of divine casting (or something that can be -approximated- to it) for at least a few of the levels.

Not that you mentioned any third class, and not that I'll nitpick.

Going solely by what you asked, if I were to approach Sorc/PM, I'd advise taking the least wholehearted RP route and aiming for Sorc 21/Palemaster 9. Still not optimal, because you loose out on additive epic spells and spells known for undead; but if you're trying to take advantage of the summons, this is the de-facto full package. From Palemaster; it only looses the Crit immunities, higher HP of one level, and 2 AC.

Stat like a normal, non-BG/RP built Sorcerer for best results. Max Charisma, pour in at least 12 INT, and toss the rest onto CON. Any spare can be put into another stat of your choice, as the rest matters relatively little for a Sorcerer.

Take your feats as you usually do for a Sorc. Focus in Necromancy and, for grins (and because you can't get the most out of your Evocation), Transmutation/Conjuration.

Other feats you might take if you have them (and you probably shouldn't) free would be:
>Great Charisma for DCs
>Toughness for HP
>Spell Penetration to compensate your Palemaster levels
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:01 am

You could dip 4 levels of Pale Master just to get the extra summoning ability, and stay mostly sorc. Then in epic go up to 10 PM with a full sorc spell selection.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:58 am

Hm. Considering that Palemaster now counts half levels as a caster, it might be worth just going low sorc, high PM, and get spell penetration.. But then again, would it be possible to get level 9/epic spells by going 15 PM, and 15 Sorc?

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:03 am

No.

You would have level 9 spell slots but wouldn't know any 9th level spells! Hence the point others made above.

(Though you would be able to take epic spells, though maybe only at level 15 PM).
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Tyrantos

Post by Tyrantos » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:04 am

Ah. Yes. That.. makes alot of sense. I think I understand now why people think that Sorcerer's do not make the best Palemasters.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 am

i've played every variation of necromancer on nwn..and different servers..you're gimping yourself if you make a sorc pm..sorcerers are *not* designed for the pm path...

a necromancer by nature is utilitarian...sorcerers are not utilitarian..

to be effective as a "minion based necromancer"(which i assume youre interested in) you need a wide range of spells..something sorcerers are not capable of

you could always go 27 sorc 3 bg for the extra saves, divine shield, and access to 2x create undead,1x animate dead, and pick up EMD

another option being cleric with some kind of dip for animate,create,and create greater undead

pure ish wiz works well as well..without nerfing your CL spell spenetration and spellpower..
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

UUD-40

Post by UUD-40 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:31 am

Clearly, you have never seen infinicast ghoul touch with a high DC.

With a gonne.
Hold me closer tiny 'mancer,
Count cadavers on the highway
Lay them down in sheets of linen
You had a a busy day today.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:33 am

i fail to see the point of a sorcerer using ghoul touch in close combat...a spell that requires a save, a penetration check, and a touch attack..not worth the risk in my opinion..
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)