New Computer: How do I get tge Game again?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

New Computer: How do I get tge Game again?

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:38 am

I pretty soon have to get myself a new computer.

I been searching the forums, and didn't find any instruction on how to swift my game to the new computer.

It needs to be a beginner's dummy: without appreviations and tec-words, I am practically an idiot on tec stuff.

When I in the beginning of time installed it, I remember that "Steam" was a frequently asked question shen you had issues, . I happily forgot everything about "steam".

I can copy the game from my old computer, but I am not sure it will work.

Can any new (Windows) computer with a video card run the game?

Silly questions? Absolutely!

Thanks in advance!

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Ithalan

Re: New Computer: How do I get tge Game again?

Post by Ithalan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:13 am

Actually running the game should not be a problem, unless the new computer you are buying is literally a potato.

If you have bought the game through Steam, simply install Steam on your new computer, log in on your steam account, and download the game through it there.

The most important bit is that the CD-key used by the game remains the same as the one you are currently using, since all your Arelith characters are tied to that. Steam should handle this automatically for you, but just in case it turns out to be a problem, you can find your current CD-key in the file 'cdkey.ini' in your Neverwinter Nights user folder, which in turn should be located inside your Windows User folder. If you make sure that the same CD-key is used on your new computer, all should be fine.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:15 am

Ithalan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:13 am

If you have bought the game through Steam, simply install Steam on your new computer, log in on your steam account, and download the game through it there.

Thank you. I can't remember if I bought the game through Steam. Is there somewhere I can find out?

I checked my mail, I can't see I have any steam account, or is it the same as Beamdog account? I can see I signed up there March 2018.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:36 pm

Give this page a look and see if any of it is helpful for recovering your Steam login, if you have one: https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithLogin

To verify if Steam was involved in installing the game, check the path to the folder where the game is installed. If it's something like "\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights", then you got it through Steam.

If that's not the case or you don't have Steam installed at all on your current PC, then it's quite possible that you got it from some other source. GOG is a likely one, so see if you have a login to that as well. Some of the information here might be helpful for that: https://support.gog.com/hc/en-us/articl ... roduct=gog

Beamdog does also appear to have their own storefront for the game here. Your Beamdog account might let you log in there to redownload the game, but I don't have any experience with the storefront myself, so I can't offer further help with it: https://store.beamdog.com/products/neve ... ed-edition

If none of those services are the source, then it might prove more difficult to redownload the game. If you can't find the original source, you can try copying over both the installation folder and the user folder (where the cdkey.ini file amongst other resides), but it's likely to still cause some trouble as just copying the files doesn't mimic everything that happens during the installation process.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:41 pm

Ithalan wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:36 pm

If none of those services are the source, then it might prove more difficult to redownload the game. If you can't find the original source, you can try copying over both the installation folder and the user folder (where the cdkey.ini file amongst other resides), but it's likely to still cause some trouble as just copying the files doesn't mimic everything that happens during the installation process.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Seems like I didn't download it from Steam, the folder is C/Docs/Neverwinter Nights.
And Steam is mentionned nowhere in any file.

GOG: I had an account 2013, but it seems to have expired in 2021. And I am quite sure GOG wasn't involved in 2018 (might be mistaken, though).

I can get into Beamdog, and under My Games, I can see NWN EA. But I can't just down load it, they want me to pay 19.99 $ to do that. Which is absolutely no problem, but before I cash out, I have to find out if it will still let me into the game, and to my vault.

Anyone?

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:52 am

As long as you make sure to write down the CD-key in your cdkey.ini file in a safe place, it's no problem to buy a new copy of the game (Make sure it is Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition that you are buying, not one of the older pre-Beamdog editions).

The new copy will come with its own CD-key when you install it, but if you replace it with the one you already wrote down afterwards, you'll still have access to your vault.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:41 am

Ithalan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:52 am

As long as you make sure to write down the CD-key in your cdkey.ini file in a safe place, it's no problem to buy a new copy of the game (Make sure it is Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition that you are buying, not one of the older pre-Beamdog editions).

The new copy will come with its own CD-key when you install it, but if you replace it with the one you already wrote down afterwards, you'll still have access to your vault.

Allright, thank you. A lot! I'll take a deep breath and make the try, it seems like it is the right NWN on Beamdog. Meanwhile, I'll keep the original copy from 2018 on my old computer, as long as it works - it is gasping for life at the moment after almost 8 years of faithful service, I am afraid :D .

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Update on this:

Seems like I in 2018 downloaded the game from Beamdog. Maybe I could just have downloaded the Beamdog Client, and taken it from there, but ... from stupidity you get wise?

I still havent solved the problem I bumped into: Beamdog Client unable to install OPENAL, contact support, etc. But it seems like the game works without.

Been almost 6 years since last time, so forgot everything about the options and so. I turned shiny water off. Anything else I should remember? I happily forgot all about the good advice during times.

Game is apparently working on the new computer, thanks to Ithalan. It took its time, but ...

Cabarcos
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cabarcos » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:16 pm

Cuchilla wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:31 pm

Been almost 6 years since last time, so forgot everything about the options and so. I turned shiny water off. Anything else I should remember? I happily forgot all about the good advice during times.

If the game is running, before making changes I will recommend that you make a copy of your current game configuration folder before changing anything, so you can recover it if needed.

If you copied the files from the old computer to the new you should keep the old configuration.
Usually the folder is:

C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents\Neverwinter Nights

The basic config files, if I'm no mistaken, are:
cdkey.ini
nwn.ini
nwnplayer.ini
settings.tml

In the Neverwinter Nights folder, there are several folders in which you can have several things that you may want to keep:
localvault -> character saves
portraits
music
override -> In this folder you could have all kinds of things: new icons for spells, scrolls, hands...

So if haven't already done that, you should probably will want to save a copy or your actual configuration folder, to have a backup, and copy the folder from the old computer to the new one.

MalKalz
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:25 am

Reach out to me on Discord and I can help you.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.