Bonus AB while 2-handing (Minotaur)

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Bonus AB while 2-handing (Minotaur)

Post by Arienette » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:48 pm

I know some years ago, Arelith changed the AB bonus for wielding a two handed weapon from +2 to +1

However, I do not seem to be receiving the AB bonus when two-handing. This is occurring on Minotaur characters.

Weapon master, level 30, falchion.

With a shield, character sheet says 50 AB. Actual attacks are at 49 AB in the combat log, which I guess is due to Large size.

Without shield, character sheet still says 50 AB. Actual attacks are at 49 AB in the combat log. No change.

Toggling -twohand mode on/off does nothing.

Am I missing some other Arelith change here?

ZombieDuck

Re: Bonus AB while 2-handing (Minotaur)

Post by ZombieDuck » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:23 pm

Have you tried Areliths colossal weapons and seeing if they receive the +1 AB when two-handing? I believe twohanding large weapons as a large race results in the same reaction as twohanding medium weapons on medium races and that you receive the added dmg from Str, but not the +1 AB.

Forever a duckling.
Character: Typically some Orog in UD

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:37 pm

Arienette wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:48 pm

I know some years ago, Arelith changed the AB bonus for wielding a two handed weapon from +2 to +1

However, I do not seem to be receiving the AB bonus when two-handing. This is occurring on Minotaur characters.

Weapon master, level 30, falchion.

With a shield, character sheet says 50 AB. Actual attacks are at 49 AB in the combat log, which I guess is due to Large size.

Without shield, character sheet still says 50 AB. Actual attacks are at 49 AB in the combat log. No change.

Toggling -twohand mode on/off does nothing.

Am I missing some other Arelith change here?

In case this wasn't answered

1) the character sheet lies

2) large races get an untyped -1 ac and ab. This malus does not show up on the character sheet.

3) holding a large sized weapon like a greatsword with twohands as a large race does not grant the +1 ab. That is only going to give the 1.5x strength damage. As with all races, the +1 ab bonus is for if you're using a weapon one size category larger than you with two hands

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:10 pm

already explained above but yeah need to use a colossal sword to get +1 ab as a large race, two-handed weapons become one tier lower for large races, so equal to medium weapons even when "two-handing", you're really just using the -twohand feature.