Is the factions menu IC?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hazard

Is the factions menu IC?

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:42 am

Asking for a friend.

Is the factions menu, bank transaction menu, and any other menus I've forgotten about, considered IC information and can it be used to out disguises, or is that a no-no?

For example, if you are disguised as 'Normal Norman' and you infiltrate a faction and they're trying to sign you up, but then they realise there's no one called 'Normal Norman' are they allowed to turn around and be like, "Hey! You gave me a fake name!" .. ?

Or if you go on an adventure with some people and one of them wants to send gold to 'Normal Norman' through the bank, etc?

I know we've been told shop and quarter signs are IC, but to me the faction menus have always felt OOC and I've treated them as such. Just curious what the official ruling is on this. If it's on the wiki, I wasn't able to find it.

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Is the factions menu IC?

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:09 am

Faction menu is NOT in character.

There are rules specifically against using systems like this to try and out disguises. Have a read through the DM Reminders part of the forum.

Hints for disguising people:

• Set up a faction of your own with the name of the disguise as the name of the faction, and then direct people to send money to that account.
  • Avoid being on faction lists in the first place, the same things can be achieved with key items, or manually when it comes to banking.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:36 am

DM Monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:09 am

Faction menu is NOT in character.

There are rules specifically against using systems like this to try and out disguises. Have a read through the DM Reminders part of the forum.

• Set up a faction of your own with the name of the disguise as the name of the faction, and then direct people to send money to that account.
  • Avoid being on faction lists in the first place, the same things can be achieved with key items, or manually when it comes to banking.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for!
Also thank you for the faction tip, I hadn't thought of that and that's perfect.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:09 am

DM Monkey wrote:

when you do a transfer like this, it will show up as "Faction: Name", though instead of just "Name", possibly opening the door to people thinking it's a fake name again, right?

DM Monkey
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Monkey » Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:37 pm

You're right, it does. I guess just report the people who are metagaming you.

Try harder! Help set a good example of roleplay for the server culture.

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:06 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:09 am
DM Monkey wrote:

when you do a transfer like this, it will show up as "Faction: Name", though instead of just "Name", possibly opening the door to people thinking it's a fake name again, right?

Since you have quotes around the disguised name they already think its a fake name... Every disguised person on the server has the same "Name" so having a faction you use as a bank does not give any more of a possible metagame than what you allready have as someone who is disguised.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:46 pm

TheDoctor wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:06 pm
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:09 am
DM Monkey wrote:

Since you have quotes around the disguised name they already think its a fake name... Every disguised person on the server has the same "Name" so having a faction you use as a bank does not give any more of a possible metagame than what you allready have as someone who is disguised.

That's very true, but at the least (if they don't break your disguise) you can hide your REAL name from them, which means they won't be able to scry you ..... without getting reported >_>

Given that you've taken all the other precautions that could expose your name, as well. Of which there are many.
Like, if you really trying to hide your name, you won't own a quarter or shop because even the ones with the signs on the inside, a quarterbreaker IS going to snoop around eventually, there's a finite amount of quarters and eventually you check them all out, and then they'll know your name.

Even renting a ship is a huge risk!

Maybe one day we get a better disguise system, but ideally people would just not metagame and be a little less focused on the 'win'.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:35 pm

Just wait till I drop the "" around names for Disguises.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm

MalKalz wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:35 pm

I'm sure that this is a joke because if there's no "" around names for Disguises...it's not actually the disguiser that will be crying but those pranked by deliberate sabotage of identity that will.

Whilst it is possible to write a rule of you can't use Disguises as the same name as other player, it is more often than not breached due to ignorance and the damaged caused might be irreversible. Sometimes, it takes a single mistake to bring even more mistakes.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:51 pm

Biolab00 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm
MalKalz wrote:

I'm sure that this is a joke because if there's no "" around names for Disguises...it's not actually the disguiser that will be crying but those pranked by deliberate sabotage of identity that will.

Whilst it is possible to write a rule of you can't use Disguises as the same name as other player, it is more often than not breached due to ignorance and the damaged caused might be irreversible. Sometimes, it takes a single mistake to bring even more mistakes.

we proved it's possible to prevent disguising as other players by using a db check.

so stay tuned.

satan

Post by satan » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 pm

Finally

Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

LivelyParticle
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by LivelyParticle » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:35 pm

satan wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:21 pm

Finally

Indeed, finally. I have lost count of the number of times I've been metagamed or been seen as 'suspicious' because of those damn " 's.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:47 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:51 pm
Biolab00 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:43 pm
MalKalz wrote:

we proved it's possible to prevent disguising as other players by using a db check.

so stay tuned.

Oh my gosh. This is really, really, very cool. A lot.

UUH. Follow up question!!!

Would this allow for genuine IC impersonations? Like, if you study a characters behaviour, appearance, speech, mannerisms, habits enough, would it be allowed to disguise yourself as another player? Not for the intent to grief their reputation but genuinely pass as them? I remember one time when Roselyn Kingsly disguised herself as Emma and it was AWEEEEESOME. Obviously we all knew it wasn't her because of the "'s but, it was still cool.

Ithalan

Post by Ithalan » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:33 am

Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:51 pm

so stay tuned.

Super-excited for this, but also anticipating a new meta of people creating actual characters with names of what they suspect to be fake identities in order to verify they are fake, or prevent the disguised person from continuing to use that identity.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:19 pm

We will detail the roadmap and intended plan with the disguise system as we solidify more. We will be making its development planning open to feedback from the start, and will be working within a continuous feedback scope. But this is totally dependent on people's free time and drive.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:57 pm

MalKalz wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:19 pm

We will detail the roadmap and intended plan with the disguise system as we solidify more. We will be making its development planning open to feedback from the start, and will be working within a continuous feedback scope. But this is totally dependent on people's free time and drive.

[Hyping Intensfies]