Death Update

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Griefmaker

Re: Death Update

Post by Griefmaker » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:55 am

Yeah, I have to admit that my current character is going to be the last MoD I ever take on the server, which is something I have done with almost every character of mine in my 8 years here. The costs definitely do not match the reward anymore by a long shot.

I actually do like the fact that the new death system will encourage exploration into areas a group of players may not be ideal or perhaps exactly ready for, as that will make adventuring significantly more exciting and dangerous. That being said, activities like that will make MoDs expire all the faster which sucks if you find yourself really enjoying a character and not wanting them to die, but still wishing to be able to travel with some of their friends who wish for greater reward and exponentially greater risk.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:23 am

Lorkas wrote:On further reflection I like that this new update gives death some (temporarily) lasting effects, which should encourage a bit more humble RP about a character's recent demise.

I think what doesn't sit quite well with me though is that it seems like the cost of death for MoD players is still essentially the same, while the cost of death for everyone else seems like it's 10 times lower now. It was already a source of frustration for me that other characters would try to "help" my character by suggesting that we travel together to a place that's tougher than either of us usually tries to handle alone, only for our party to be entirely outclassed and forced into "run or die" mode (which is not a huge deal for a non-MoD--they just spend an hour RPing around the recovery and they're good).

Who knows, though... maybe that kind of overconfidence isn't a function of how much XP is lost on death, but something else. I guess we can just wait and see (and hope).
Eh. IMO, MOD is a choice you make, knowing the risks. And you get benefits for it.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:35 am

MoD as it is would not be implemented past the last update, that is his point, and I agree.
:)

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:47 am

Maybe MoD should get an XP multiplier instead. (which would apply to both RPR and NPC kills) It sounds like PvP is going to become more popular, so they're at even greater risk.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:16 am

MoD could grant flat boost to rp-reward and ECL reduction. Or have the rp-tick boon replaced by ECL reduction entirely seeing how ECL affects rp reward (which wasn't the case when it was first introduced)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:31 am

homestuff wrote:
Oh! this brings up an interesting possibility I think. Maybe tweak the raise system slightly so that:

Respawn: Large stat penalty; Long duration. Incurable
Raise dead: Low stat penalty; Low duration (long if curable)
and maybe leave this debuff curable with restoration spells.
Ressurection: No stat Penalty at all!

Would give an actual reason for characters to use resurrection, gives death a bit more depth and varied consequence. Just an Idea, thoughts?
This was actually suggested by members of my time when we introduced this system, and is definitely something I will consider for the future.

As of right now I do not plan on any other major changes as to how Arelith works, as do so would 'muddy the water' as I monitor the effects of the most recent ones.

With the server merge, and now this, I expect on the code side we'll be squashing bugs for quite a while, and for myself I'm just looking forward to getting back to actual area building.

Qizzia

Post by Qizzia » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:11 am

To answer the original question: Not sure if anything good comes out of it. But imo, maybe it's a bit more easy to handle for players as well as DMs.

Previously, it was server policy (not a rule) that you will not recall any of the events that occurred within the fugue plane when you exit the fugue plane and return to the living. In situations where players disagreed on let's say PvP, this policy made it simple for DMs to rule.

This policy had pros and cons. Policy can always be discussed and eventually changed. Good thing about a server policy is that it is common and general for all. Policies works in most situations, but in specific situations might not work.

Contrary to policy are "shadow rules". Like "you don't remember 5 minutes before and after you enter the fugue plane". Some shadow rules were good, most of them however bad. What works well in one situation, might be bad in another. So in general, it's not a good idea to generalize shadow rules. Contrary to server policies.

The new system might be a bit more easy to handle and act on for players as well as DMs. And create less shadow rules. Time will show. I see it as a more simple system. Complicated systems might create, well - had to say this - complications ...

;)
Former DM

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:30 pm

MOD still gets the xtra XP, and you still get to reap the lower xp loss for 9 times. I mean xp loss is less so a MOD is now suddenly going to run around into lethal areas without a care? For me if people are now traveling into more dangerous areas because they no longer care if they die. Simply because OOC they know the xp loss won't be bad probably isn't the best rp. But that's just me. Like everything else, there will be good and bad. YOu are always going to have a few who abuse it, but let give it time and see how it works out.