D&D Polymorph Questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

D&D Polymorph Questions

Post by Dalenger » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:47 am

A few quick questions concerning the polymorph spell, as per D&D 3.5 rules.

Polymorph says that you are able to turn into a creature with HD up to your caster level with a max of HD15. You retain your wis/int/cha scores, but obtain the str/dex/con of the assumed creature. You do not gain spells or supernatural attacks of the creature, but can do special mundane attacks or actions (eg, slashing with your tail or flying with wings). There's more to the spell (its about a half page long, and references another spell, alter self, which is also a half page long) but the above is what I deemed pertinent.

The questions are: Do you gain the HP, BAB, reflex, and fortitude of the assumed creature? If you polmorphed into a dragon, would you gain its breath weapon?

Thanks in advance for any response.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Urch

Re: D&D Polymorph Questions

Post by Urch » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:57 am

You keep your own bab, saves and HP of your original form but gain a bonus/negative to them based on your new physical attributes.

What is breath weapon listed under? Usually it says in the monster manual if its supernatural/spells or not
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:14 am

The DM's guide lists breath weapons as "supernatural unless specifically mentioned otherwise", and I can't find anything in the monster manual outlying what a dragon's breath actually is, so I suppose that means its supernatural... but I thought I'd ask anyway, in case anyone knew definitively.

And you're sure about the BAB/HP? Oh well. Thanks for the response.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Green2Bee

Post by Green2Bee » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:22 am

It's supernatural. It says so under dragon breath tag in Monster Manual. There's classifications like (SP) (SU) and (EX). Breath weapons are (SU) and not (EX).

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm

See how things like tail swipe and bite attacks are EX? That means it's attributed to just the physique of the dragon itself. SU abilities are not and it's a magical ability.