The reasoning behind a shorter duration for...

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

imgoinginane83

The reasoning behind a shorter duration for...

Post by imgoinginane83 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:08 am

Planar summoning. So what was the reason for reducing the duration of it? I can't think of anything (at 2am on newyears day) to do such a thing to a spell. Sure, the summons are powerful, more so than most of the elementals that come in higher levels but the ancient elemental trumps it. So, knowing that, does anyone think the duration should be reverted back to an hour per level?
If we deny love love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty and the loss greater.

Baron Saturday

Re: The reasoning behind a shorter duration for...

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am

I'm assuming you're talking about the reduction for Planar Binding and it's Lesser variation? For Greater Planar Binding, the change to 1 turn/level is actually a substantial increase over the default 1 round/level. Which, I'd guess, was the point - to equalize the durations of the various ranks of the spell.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

imgoinginane83

Re: The reasoning behind a shorter duration for...

Post by imgoinginane83 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:13 pm

Okay my bad on the greater but, being greater, a turn per level is fine. But the regular and lesser, i feel should be an hour a level. Its the one summon i feel at the time you get it, is actually worth its salt. especially if you have greater spell focus. The duration for that should be increased.
Last time i used a hound archon, it didn't use its spells or anything. didn't get shot in the backside with a lightning bolt. Kinda miss that. :)
If we deny love love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty and the loss greater.