Does agreeing to a raise invalidate the 24 hour PvP rule?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Does agreeing to a raise invalidate the 24 hour PvP rule?

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:25 pm

As titled, does agreeing to be raised make the 24 hour PvP rule not apply?
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Full Moon

Re: Does agreeing to a raise invalidate the 24 hour PvP rule

Post by Full Moon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:30 pm

Why would it ?

DM_Tophat

Post by DM_Tophat » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 pm

If you agree to a raise you are voluntarily waving the 24 hour rule.

Edit just to be specific..

If you agree to a raise from the person that PVP'd you, then yes you are waving the 24 hour rule.
If you are raised by someone not involved and the person whom you were in PVP with has departed, then the 24 hour rule comes into effect.
Last edited by DM_Tophat on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Brack

Post by Nathan Brack » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 pm

Generally, yes, but it begs the question: why is he rezzing you if he wants to kill you again? Also, why are you agreeing to be rezzed by a guy who just killed you?

The RP makes a shaky sort of sense at best 90% of the time (the other 10% being from mechanical limitations of Nwn).

Personally, I find you can't go wrong with a.) not offering an ooc Rez, and b.) not accepting a Rez from someone I just fought.

The xp you lose is the cost of role play. That's what we're here for

Full Moon

Post by Full Moon » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:43 pm

I suppose that makes sense for torture/prisoner scenes but at the same time it's an rp deterrent.

" Can I raise you ? "
" Why so you can kill me again ? "
" We will torture you first but yes probably"
"No thanks" *respawns*

It also discourages genuine acts of kindness and consideration.

"Can I raise you ? "
" No , you just want to kill me again you sick freak "
" No I just feel bad "
" I don't believe you "

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:46 pm

Full Moon wrote:I suppose that makes sense for torture/prisoner scenes but at the same time it's an rp deterrent.

" Can I raise you ? "
" Why so you can kill me again ? "
" We will torture you first but yes probably"
"No thanks" *respawns*

It also discourages genuine acts of kindness and consideration.

"Can I raise you ? "
" No , you just want to kill me again you sick freak "
" No I just feel bad "
" I don't believe you "
Most players are decent folk and won't be raising someone just to kill them again. What would even be the point of that? In practice those "rp deterrents" are never rp deterrents unless you're trying to forcibly RP with someone who you hate OOC, in which case, yeah, maybe it's better to just go your separate ways after PvP.

DaggerMouthSmile

Post by DaggerMouthSmile » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:53 pm

It can allow for furthering a story as opposed to ending it. A player willing to bend their RP will find interesting, cruel, altruistic, character flaws, or other reasons to allow a defeated foe to live. Eliminating pride gaming opens up a world of possibility.

Nathan Brack

Post by Nathan Brack » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:06 pm

*you* feeling bad is not a reason to go against your characters rp. It's not pridegaming to say "this character ticked off my character, so he stuck his sword through her head." If he didn't want her to die, *why did he kill her?* if it was because she started the fight, and wouldn't back down, why doesn't he want her to do it again? As far as I can see, rezzing her so that you "win" and she has to aknowledge it is all about pride.

So, in short, if you're going to feel bad about killing someone, don't do it. Avoid the fight, neutralize the threat without killing, hash it out IC. Rezzing immediately afterwards defeats the already thin mortality of the characters to the point of making it mostly meaningless *except* for pride.

Naturally, fringe situations apply where you might bring them back to sow more discord into the world or whatever, but I stand by my 90%+ of the time, just let the conflict end. If you don't want it to end, don't end it. But when you ooc Rez, you cheapen the story overall to service your need as a player. You don't make the story better

Trunx

Post by Trunx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:12 pm

Nathan Brack wrote:*you* feeling bad is not a reason to go against your characters rp. It's not pridegaming to say "this character ticked off my character, so he stuck his sword through her head." If he didn't want her to die, *why did he kill her?* if it was because she started the fight, and wouldn't back down, why doesn't he want her to do it again? As far as I can see, rezzing her so that you "win" and she has to aknowledge it is all about pride.

So, in short, if you're going to feel bad about killing someone, don't do it. Avoid the fight, neutralize the threat without killing, hash it out IC. Rezzing immediately afterwards defeats the already thin mortality of the characters to the point of making it mostly meaningless *except* for pride.

Naturally, fringe situations apply where you might bring them back to sow more discord into the world or whatever, but I stand by my 90%+ of the time, just let the conflict end. If you don't want it to end, don't end it. But when you ooc Rez, you cheapen the story overall to service your need as a player. You don't make the story better
Plenty of reasons to resurrect someone, seeing as there's no non-lethal combat mode.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 pm

There's also the prisoner rule, if the person that kills you raises you before you protest imprisonment (maybe you dont have time or something) then the 25 hour rule is waved.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:52 pm

There is no such thing as "the prisoner rule", to my knowlege. The burden for waiving the 24-hour rule for capture rests on the person doing the capturing, and the prisoner-to-be must give consent to the raise for it not to be a violation of the 24-hour rule.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:24 pm

What Scurvy said. Also the only true rules are the ones specifically outlined. Anything else is either a shadow rule or interpretation by a DM.

MowerQueen

Post by MowerQueen » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:31 pm

Trunx wrote: Plenty of reasons to resurrect someone, seeing as there's no non-lethal combat mode.
Lol, so true. I've been killed in PVP 3 times in my years of playing, and 2 of those times was being ACCIDENTALLY killed by my character's captors.

EDIT: Also, I don't really get why OOC raises are even a big issue anymore now that we barely get an XP hit for respawning.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:39 pm

From the Wiki

"As a guideline, if you are killed and your corpse is captured by an opposing side, please consider that you were taken prisoner, and do not log out or respawn in order to avoid the consequences. If you were taken prisoner while you were in an area controlled by a faction that is hostile toward you (or in other words, enemy territory), then please refrain from playing any escape or rescue attempts for 12 Real Life hours afterward, unless you have the consent of your captors. Please note, you are under no obligation to take part in prisoner RP. Players who receive tells requesting that their character not be taken prisoner should abide by the request in a fashion that is both polite OOC and valid IC."

It's not technically a rule, but general guidelines and an alternative to the 24 hour rule.
Note, this is in the section concerning the 24 hour rule, on the Wiki.

DM Noxt
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by DM Noxt » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:48 pm

It's misleading to say it's "technically" not a rule: it's not a rule in any shape or form, nor is it an official guideline. It's someone's idea of what's good for RP after you're captured. Up to each individual player if they want to go by it or not.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:53 pm

I almost always agree to raises after pvp, and I don't think I've had a bad experience yet. Generally speaking - so long as you're willing to swallow your pride then you shouldn't end up pvped again.
But with that said - to answer the origional question - Yes. If you agree to a raise, you theoreticaly give them leeway to pvp you again. But most people won't (why would they?) and though you may end up with some unpleasent things happening to your character... well that's the payoff isn't it? it's really in your hands.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:57 pm

Fair enough. It's not a rule, my bad >.<
I was just giving my own impression of it, I figured if you are captured and raised by your captors then it makes sense that you can speak to each other rather than having to wait 24 hours to talk.
(pre OOC planning aside of course!!)

andthenthatwasthat

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 pm

Nathan Brack wrote:The xp you lose is the cost of role play. That's what we're here for.
Look at the name, now look at the quoted text, now look at the name again. ;D