Question for Devs

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Thera

Question for Devs

Post by Thera » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:29 am

From Wiki:

Brew Potion: On Arelith, all spells (Wiz/Sorc, Ranger, Druid and Cleric spells) from Level 0 up to Level 3 are "potionable", even spells that are normally not potionable in the default Neverwinter Nights, like True Strike, Expeditious Retreat, Camouflage, Entropic Shield and so on.

And
Spells Clerics do not normally gain access to, but may cast due to their Domains - like Cat's Grace (Animal and War Domain) - may not be Scribed, nor turned into Wands or Potions, by Clerics. It has something to do with those spells not normally being available to Clerics. Note that Domains that let you cast certain spells one (or more) levels sooner (Healing Domain and the Heal spell, for example) are NOT affected by this bug.

Does this mean you can make potions of True seeing with Animal Domain, and potions of Divine Power with strength domain?
"Arelith isn't about fun - It's about math, and WINNING"

Elven Seraphim

Re: Question for Devs

Post by Elven Seraphim » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 pm

I'm not a Dev, but, no, as far as I know, the issue is that the pre-designed blueprint for the domain spells's scrolls/wands/potions, which have pre-determined innate levels and class access, do not include "Cleric" in them, and some sort of "invalid" code check interrupts the item creation. However, if you're a cleric with or without the animal domain, for example, there's only 1 blueprint for a true sight scroll, there isn't an "animal domain" scroll with a lower level, and of course, not a true sight potion or wand blueprint.

Now, it CAN be the case that certain spells are "low level" spells for some classes, and not others, and are therefore legally potionable/wandable even if slotted with higher slots. Neutralize poison, as an example (http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Neutralize_poison), is a level 4 spell for cleric/bard/paladin, but for druids and rangers, it's a level 3 spell. That means as a cleric, you can cast your level 4 neutralize poison on a potion bottle and make a potion. (Probably not worth the crafting cost on Arelith, though, compared to antidote potions).

The whole system isn't 100% consistent though. There are some spells out there, I can't remember all, that have separate blueprints for cleric/wizard, and some that don't (any class makes the same scroll). There are also some spells that are potionable, like War Cry, that aren't level 3 or lower for any class, and other spells that aren't scribable or potionable at all.

If you've noticed some inconsistency in non-crafted items, like default bulls strength and endurance potions have different innate levels (15, 3, I think), the HOTU craft feat products, like potions scrolls and wands, are also not accurately and consistently represented by blanket logic. (All spells under 3, caster level/innate level relationship)

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:38 pm

You definitely cannot. The "level" that is checked top see whether or not a spell is potionable or wandable is the innate level, which is the same no matter what level it appears in your spellbook.

This is also why druids can make wands of death ward even though it is a level 5 spell for them.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:59 am

The part that states that Clerics can't turn their domain given spells into wands/potions/scrolls doesnt seem right to me because I had a travel/Trickery cleric who made both haste and imp invis wands.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

Elven Seraphim

Post by Elven Seraphim » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:30 am

It's very inconsistent.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Kalimere wrote:The part that states that Clerics can't turn their domain given spells into wands/potions/scrolls doesnt seem right to me because I had a travel/Trickery cleric who made both haste and imp invis wands.
It's not that they can't turn the domain into potions/wands, it's that it doesn't take the level of the spell from the cleric domain. So the haste wand was wandable because it's normally a 3rd level spell, and Improved invis is normally a 4th level spell.